What am I missing in ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Research: tons of Orgo research. honors thesis. (maybe a pub...), presenting at an national conference soon

clinical: medical assistant
clinical research (I know many of you say this isn't clinical experience but I talked to an ADCOM on here and was told that what I'm doing in particular can count)
clubs, etc.
bit of soup kitchen volunteering (not much)
shadowing (mainly surgery specialties. Do I need a primary care physician to shadow?) trying to find a DO to shadow

hospice volunteering

rehab center volunteering

RAM volunteering

not sure what else I'm missing? Applying next year. Not sure how many hours I have, but a good amount nonetheless. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what RAM is.
You need primary care shadowing. DO is not essential unless you are applying to DO schools.
What non-clinical service volunteering have you done for those in greatest need in your community, those who do not have the means to help themselves? a bit of soup kitchen volunteering might be too little. That looks like the thing that needs to be bulked up.

Do you have any teamwork experience? Has any of it led to a leadership opportunity? That's the other thing I might be looking for.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know what RAM is.
You need primary care shadowing. DO is not essential unless you are applying to DO schools.
What non-clinical service volunteering have you done for those in greatest need in your community, those who do not have the means to help themselves? a bit of soup kitchen volunteering might be too little. That looks like the thing that needs to be bulked up.

Do you have any teamwork experience? Has any of it led to a leadership opportunity? That's the other thing I might be looking for.

Thanks for responding LizzyM! RAM is remote area medical. it's trips around the US helping in underserved areas. it's basically underserved, working in teams and gaining clinical experience along the way... Remote Area Medical

I'll definitely look into primary care shadowing. Yes, I am applying to DO schools so I'll need some DO shadowing.

Yes. i will work towards increasing my soup kitchen volunteering hours. I'll be applying next year so I have a bit over a year to work on that.

Teamwork experience would mainly result from my experience as a medical assistant as I help the physicians. RAM is a great teamwork experience as I work with other people a lot, I started a fundraiser with my club that I run in my college to raise money. I'm trying to obtain a position as a bereavement care leader at the hospice I volunteer at.

What else would you recommend? Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)