What are average grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, i was wondering what yall think average grades for med school accepted students are. Jusrt wondering, cuz i did pretty bad this quarter. im looking at a 3.3 this quarter taking zoology, calc and ochem. and ochem lab.

Members don't see this ad.

UCDavisdude said:
Hey yall, i was wondering what yall think average grades for med school accepted students are. Jusrt wondering, cuz i did pretty bad this quarter. im looking at a 3.3 this quarter taking zoology, calc and ochem. and ochem lab.

I'm not sure medical schools consider that an overly difficult course load. I would probably look at a 3.6+ for those classes. I doubt it will keep your out of med school, but how does that bode for a quarter in which you take, say, biochem, cell bio, etc.

I don't know what average pre-med grades are. They are on all sides of the curve, but typically tend to fall in the 3.5+ GPA range. I believe the breakdown starts at 3.4.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhotoMD said:
I'm not sure medical schools consider that an overly difficult course load. I would probably look at a 3.6+ for those classes. I doubt it will keep your out of med school, but how does that bode for a quarter in which you take, say, biochem, cell bio, etc.

yeah i messed up this quarter. didnt study enough. plus, the ochem im taking is a different ochem than pre meds take. its a more vigorous course for chem and engineering majors. we have a ochem class at davis for pre meds and a different one for chem majors. i know i can do better, i took 26 units in the spring and managed a 3.8.

UCDavisdude said:

3.4-3.6 is probably pretty average. If a 3.3 is the worst semester you have,then you should be set in the GPA department.

Make sure you're getting the extracurricular stuff in there, it'll help set you apart from other applicants.

Good luck,
S

so do med schools also look at the classes u took when u got the specific gpa?
for example, i took 3 upper-div bio courses, 4 units each (human anatomy, endocrinology, cell biology) and 4-unit physics 3b (electricity & magnetism/fluids) last year and i got a 3.6 that quarter. the next quarter i got 3.8 but had sociology, anthropology, cell bio lab, physics 3c (optics), and research (relatively easy classes)

so would the 3.6 look better since it was much heavier course load??????? :confused:

jtank said:
so do med schools also look at the classes u took when u got the specific gpa?
for example, i took 3 upper-div bio courses, 4 units each (human anatomy, endocrinology, cell biology) and 4-unit physics 3b (electricity & magnetism/fluids) last year and i got a 3.6 that quarter. the next quarter i got 3.8 but had sociology, anthropology, cell bio lab, physics 3c (optics), and research (relatively easy classes)

so would the 3.6 look better since it was much heavier course load??????? :confused:

Schools look a little. I personally think they watch out for people who take easy classes to keep a high GPA. Your academic record is expected to show the adcom you can handle rigors of med school, so you really need to be taking a fairly difficult schedule.

this pre med stuff is scary, i guess ill just have to pull at least a 3.8 next quarter. im taking calc 2, 2nd quarter of ochem, physics and micro bio, so it shouldnt be toooo bad.............yeah rite

I wouldn't worry about a 3.3 for one quarter. I think they tend to look at the overall GPA, not individual quarter's GPA.

PhotoMD said:
Good luck next quarter. Just buckle down. O-chem isn't so bad. It's actually pretty fun. I'm taking biochem, developmental bio, virology, and another bio class next qtr.
thanks, i will. wow, ur taking alot of bio classes next quarter. they seem to take much more time to study for than ochem. i cant wait to take biochem. good luck with that and all the amino acids.(i think thats wat biochem is...)

PhotoMD said:
Good luck next quarter. Just buckle down. O-chem isn't so bad. It's actually pretty fun. I'm taking biochem, developmental bio, virology, and another bio class next qtr.

That's a lot of cool classes.

Virology = awesome. :D

a 3.3 is not that bad. i don't know what everyone is freaking out about. plus, it's only one semester! of course, if you're an engineer, those are the easiest classes you're going to take, so you're going to have to buckle down if you want to end up with a high gpa.

also, check out the msar if you want specifics on average gpa at each med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCDavisdude said:
yeah i messed up this quarter. didnt study enough. plus, the ochem im taking is a different ochem than pre meds take. its a more vigorous course for chem and engineering majors. we have a ochem class at davis for pre meds and a different one for chem majors. i know i can do better, i took 26 units in the spring and managed a 3.8.

26 units?! That's a lot. Glad you did well. I never took more than 18 units during my time at Davis. I probably would've had no time to do anything. Go to South Hall, make an appointment with Linda or Barbara. They'll be of great assistance. Good luck!

Uegis said:
26 units?! That's a lot. Glad you did well. I never took more than 18 units during my time at Davis. I probably would've had no time to do anything. Go to South Hall, make an appointment with Linda or Barbara. They'll be of great assistance. Good luck!
are you in grad school now or transfer out of davis? im applying to berkeley and usc for next year to get out of this god awful quarter system.

UCDavisdude said:
are you in grad school now or transfer out of davis? im applying to berkeley and usc for next year to get out of this god awful quarter system.

Sorry to hear you don't like the quarter system. Sure it's fast-paced, but it really tested time management and all that juggling. I tried taking 20 units of pure classes/labs but I had to drop one humanities course because I couldn't handle it. (4 classes plus research works well, especially when the research works as a gpa booster).

As for your original concern, it's only one quarter. As long as you can improve upon that "bad" time, you should be fine.

UCDavisdude said:

I graduated already and working/applying for med school now. The quarter system is hectic but I liked it a lot. It allowed me to change surroundings more often and provided opportunities to take a larger variety of classes. It's what you make of it. A lot of people argue that the semester system is more difficult. I haven't experienced that yet. I would reconsider transfering out though. UCD has a lot of resources for pre-meds, including the great student-run clinics opened to ugrads and the UCDMC which offers a good variety of internships to pursue. In addition, the fast-growing campus (both ugrad and med) is opening a lot of research and learning opportunities. But if you are set on transferring and really feel that UCD is not the place for you, then go for it. Its your education, so you must find the place that best fits you. Good luck with the transferring!

nairay said:
Sorry to hear you don't like the quarter system. Sure it's fast-paced, but it really tested time management and all that juggling. I tried taking 20 units of pure classes/labs but I had to drop one humanities course because I couldn't handle it. (4 classes plus research works well, especially when the research works as a gpa booster).

As for your original concern, it's only one quarter. As long as you can improve upon that "bad" time, you should be fine.

Nairay, did you go to UCD also?

Good advice as usual, Uegis. Also, go talk to the Biosci advising people. I always talked to Pat and she was wonderful. The thing to do here is not freak out that you didn't get straight As. Take this quarter as a learning experience in terms of prioritising and learning some time management. I don't think you're sunk...take a deep breath, study for your finals, kick some butt, and relax during the winter break and gear up for Winter Quarter. G'luck

Uegis said:
Nairay, did you go to UCD also?

nah, I went to UCI. UC Davis is one of my top choices for med though (if i get an interview...please show me some love!)....my boyfriend is applying to PhD programs and has already spoken to some faculty members as potential mentors (Davis is home to the ultra-cool Center for Mind and Brain and a really great neuro/psych grad program). It's one of our few "overlap" schools (U Pitt is another), but it's also in-state for me.

nairay said:
nah, I went to UCI. UC Davis is one of my top choices for med though (if i get an interview...please show me some love!)....my boyfriend is applying to PhD programs and has already spoken to some faculty members as potential mentors (Davis is home to the ultra-cool Center for Mind and Brain and a really great neuro/psych grad program). It's one of our few "overlap" schools (U Pitt is another), but it's also in-state for me.

UCD is my top choice too. Waiting to hear from them. I actually work pretty close to the brand new state-of-the-art MIND institute. It definitely is a great place to be for neuro/psych stuff. Hope you and your bf plenty of luck in winding up at the same place!

Quynh2007 said:
in light of heavy vs light coursework, will it hurt me if I take courses that sound easy (although they are not) like I'm currently taking Community Learning and Service Partnership (4 cr, will get an good grade because I worked my butt off in that class) and next semester I will be taking The Art of Teaching (I wanna do Teach for America before I go off to med school) and Participation with Young Children? I mean, these are effort and fieldwork setting based rather than knowledge and traditional classroom setting based? If you just saw the title of these courses, would you think they were gpa booster courses?

Just make sure you take a good number of courses like biochem, phsyiology, molecular biology, etc.

you guys are great, really supportive and great advice. I wish my friends were like that, they often scoff at me when i have to stay in and study, and when i tell them that i have to pull up my overall 3.5 gpa, they look at me like im crazy. I wish i had other friends that were pre meds.... well, im taking microbio next quarter and its lab (course is 7 units tot including lab), what should i look forward to, is it difficult stuff?

UCDavisdude said:
you guys are great, really supportive and great advice. I wish my friends were like that, they often scoff at me when i have to stay in and study, and when i tell them that i have to pull up my overall 3.5 gpa, they look at me like im crazy. I wish i had other friends that were pre meds.... well, im taking microbio next quarter and its lab (course is 7 units tot including lab), what should i look forward to, is it difficult stuff?
MIC 102 and 102L...they are really great! They will definintely help you on the MCAT. Just about anything you need to know about micro for the MCAT will be in MIC102 and 102L. Its not so much hard, as if you haven't really had much micro, its probably quite a bit of material. Go get the practice exams at Classical Notes and in the Reserves. Keep up with your 102L notebook because depending on who your TA is, they'll check them periodically to see that you're keeping up and you have to turn in the notebook a few times during the quarter, so you want to be sure to have your stuff together so its not a mad rush at the end.

G'luck.

DrYo12 said:
MIC 102 and 102L...they are really great! They will definintely help you on the MCAT. Just about anything you need to know about micro for the MCAT will be in MIC102 and 102L. Its not so much hard, as if you haven't really had much micro, its probably quite a bit of material. Go get the practice exams at Classical Notes and in the Reserves. Keep up with your 102L notebook because depending on who your TA is, they'll check them periodically to see that you're keeping up and you have to turn in the notebook a few times during the quarter, so you want to be sure to have your stuff together so its not a mad rush at the end.

G'luck.
hey thanks, it feels good to hear it from someone whos taken the same course.

UCDavisdude said:
hey thanks, it feels good to hear it from someone whos taken the same course.

Who are you taking for 102? Dr. Mann is very tough. If you want a challenge, take him. His class was one of the toughest I took at UCD. I worked my butt off to get a good grade in that class. He use to teach microbiology at the U Michigan Med School, so he sometimes forget that we are only ugrads. Hes notorious for having multiple choice problems that are a page long 10-15 of those in a 30 problem test. No curve either. But you will learn a lot. He is very interesting and his lecutres are a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed his classes. Does he still teach all the 102L lab sections? you'll get a chance to meet him there. Dr. Artz is suppose to be a bit less tough.

Remeber to take NPB 101 for all your physiology before taking the MCAT. Its almost a necessity to have taken it. Aside from that, most of the other stuff on the test is general bio stuff. A biochemistry lab might help with some of the ochem stuff, but not completely necessary.

And shouldn't you be studying for finals? Haha, I see people on campus all stressed out. Brings back memories.