What Are my Chances? 1st time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tallulah18

Reaction score
Hello! I am a first time applicant, 27 years old and am looking at applying to Texas Tech, Texas A&M, University of Arizona, Auburn, and University of Illinois. I am really interested in exotic/wildlife/zoo vet field and being able to educate the public with the interactions between us and animals. I am close to finishing another associates degree, however I had a change of mind and decided to finish my prereqs to get into vet school. I am applying during this coming application cycle because I figured if I don't get in I can request feedback and focus on those specific things for the next go around.

Cumulative GPA: 3.18
Science GPA: 3 OR 3.2
Last 45: Not calculated

Degrees:
- Associates in Science: Wildlife and Fisheries Ecology
- Bachelors in Science: Range and Wildlife Management (minor: Biology)

GRE: have not taken

Veterinary Experience:
- Non-Human Primate Vet Tech: 3.5 years or about 7,300 hours
- Small animal vet tech: 1.5 years or about 5,000 hours

Animal Experience:
- Boarding Kennel Tech: 3,620 hours

Research Experience: None (I do work with research lab animals though)

Awards:
-Phi Theta Kappa
- 3rd place creed speaking (x2)
- 5th place creed speaking
- multiple floriculture awards (team & individual)
- Placed with my goats and rabbits multiple times at county show

Extracurriculars:
- FFA: 4 years (raised rabbits, goats, pigs, chickens; LDE & CDE teams, Officer position)
- Alpha Sigma Alpha: 2 years (2 Officer positions held, volunteer work, school involvement)
- Wildlife Society: 2 years (volunteer work)
- Pre-Pharmacy Association: 1 semester (volunteer work)
- The National Wild Turkey Federation: 1 year
- MEDS Club: 1 year
- Sweet Savanna Hog Wild: 11 years (volunteer work)
- Lions FC: Club soccer
- High School Soccer team: varsity all 4 years

Employment:
- 5 small animal boarding facilities (worked during summer breaks, or college semesters)
-Academy Sports and Outdoors: Apparel Sales Associate/Back-up Cashier
-Rudy's BBQ: Cashier
- Inotiv: Vet Tech (current job, NHP lab animals)

My biggest concern is my GPA, I still have quiet a few classes to go so that should bring up both my science and cumulative GPA. I have my most recent professor, my current attending vet, and my current supervisor writing my LOR. Please give me any advice or what you think could help at least get me to an interview and hopefully accepted. Also if there is any other schools that I should consider. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's a forum stickied at the top of this forum with a WAMC format you should follow. It's impossible to give you good advice with the information you've given.

There's a forum stickied at the top of this forum with a WAMC format you should follow. It's impossible to give you good advice with the information you've given.
Okay I just found it, is there a way to delete this post?