What are my chances, 3.38 26 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newenglandlobster508

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im new to this site so please don't bash me, I am an applicant with a 3.38 GPA, 3.0 SGPA, and 27 MCAT (10 P, 9 B, 7 V). I graduated in bioengineering, completed the degree in less than 3 years, had my mother pass away during my freshman year. Probably somewhere in the 300-400 hour range of volunteering experience and shadowing physicians. 1 published paper and a device I developed for neurosurgery and robotic surgery combined

I applied somewhat broadly, DMU, LMU, Lake Eerie, all the touros, liberty, ACOM, AZCOM, Marian, etc etc (18 schools total). I applied late this year in the application cycle though, completed it by October 2nd.

I have received quite a few secondaries but do I have any chance?
I am repeating my MCAT and applied to graduate schools just for the record.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you should retake your science classes to get that sGPA to about a 3.4...

I have graduated already, I will consider that option but I am currently asking if there is even a 1% chance of being admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
must retake courses and raise science gpa past 3.4 and overall to 3.5
if you have rural experience in your extra curriculars you may land an II

If you had applied when the cycle opened I guarantee you would have received a few IIs and possibly some acceptances by now. I would suggest you raise that GPA, add more schools if you can, and get those secondaries out ASAP.

FWIW, I have around the same stats, and I received 5 IIs. I applied early and broadly, however.

good luck bud!

sgpa is low.. But how are your extracurriculars and letters and ps? You have to be an incredible applicant and very personable to make up for the gpa

Mcat is good, are any of those physician shadowing hours with a do?

I am currently shadowing a DO, but I submitted a letter stating my experience with DO's in my shadowing hours (basically rotated with a bunch of hospitals and doctors in rural pennsylvania 5+ doctors, but only managed to get 3 rec letters from MD's, DO has changed his job and unreachable ). That aside I have received secondaries from AZCOM, LECOM, Touro CA, NV, Marian, Pikeville, Burrell. Submitted each secondary as they came, earliest being October 29th, and latest being today.

Extra curriculars mainly involve patents and stuff. I have made 5 medical devices, written a paper, been a part of a few clubs, volunteered in Oakland, CA for multiple days in support of people facing various issues. Hoping I can get an interview.

You have a chance of II and possible acceptances but be prepared to apply again next cycle of you have to. In the meantime head on over to the local CC and retake some of those science classes to get the sGPA up. If you get it above 3.25 and apply early next cycle you will be golden

There is of course a chance. I was complete mid September-early October at all my schools. 3.75 science GPA. 25 MCAT. I have about 2 years training/experience as a medical laboratory scientist. I got a II to MSUCOM 10 days after my secondary was submitted and was accepted less than a week after my interview. I got lucky, but there is certainly a chance you can get in this cycle as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Get your sgpa up a bit...things are getting more competitive as I'm sure you know. Might you have a shot with those stats? Yeah, you probably do....but it's already getting late in the cycle. I'd take classes in the spring and reapply next cycle.

If you want to be a doctor do NOT go to graduate school. Retake classes...itll help your chances much more AND cost a hell of a lot less because you can do them at CC.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely advise you to improve you science GPA if you aren't doing anything this next semester. I got multiple acceptances this cycle with 3.29 cumulative/3.22 science/4.0 DIY postbacc @ Local Community College. I also had a 28 (11P/7V/10B) MCAT and am an engineering major (mechanical). It's entirely possible!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The low sGPA will hurt for the more demanding DO schools like the Touros, CCOM, DMU, AZCOM, Western, KCU and CUSOM, and maybe even BCOM.

I agree with the idea of retaking all F/D/C science coursework.

Otherwise, the newest DO schools will be your best bet. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Im new to this site so please don't bash me, I am an applicant with a 3.38 GPA, 3.0 SGPA, and 27 MCAT (10 P, 9 B, 7 V). I graduated in bioengineering, completed the degree in less than 3 years, had my mother pass away during my freshman year. Probably somewhere in the 300-400 hour range of volunteering experience and shadowing physicians. 1 published paper and a device I developed for neurosurgery and robotic surgery combined

I applied somewhat broadly, DMU, LMU, Lake Eerie, all the touros, liberty, ACOM, AZCOM, Marian, etc etc (18 schools total). I applied late this year in the application cycle though, completed it by October 2nd.

I have received quite a few secondaries but do I have any chance?
I am repeating my MCAT and applied to graduate schools just for the record.

Reactions: 1 users
I was curious if you knew what would be the easier schools, Would it be the Edward via College (VCOM's) and Lake Eeries?

Surprisingly I got at least a secondary at all the touros but couldn't get one from LUCOM.

There is of course a chance. I was complete mid September-early October at all my schools. 3.75 science GPA. 25 MCAT. I have about 2 years training/experience as a medical laboratory scientist. I got a II to MSUCOM 10 days after my secondary was submitted and was accepted less than a week after my interview. I got lucky, but there is certainly a chance you can get in this cycle as well!

I think a 3.75 sGPA and 25 MCAT is more balanced than a 27 MCAT with 3.0 sGPA though

Reactions: 1 user
I think a 3.75 sGPA and 25 MCAT is more balanced than a 27 MCAT with 3.0 sGPA though

Im sure it is because a 3.75 is nearly 20% higher , looks really nice.

But in my opinion, the MCAT does reflect on what you can collectively retain in the basic sciences. I mentioned initially I suffered the loss of a parent in my freshman year which did affect a single semester quite strongly. Furthermore, many of the classes I had to take were enriched, (engineering physics vs regular physics) . I hope at least 1 of the schools is able to look past that, especially since I did so well in the upper division sciences.

If you had applied when the cycle opened I guarantee you would have received a few IIs and possibly some acceptances by now. I would suggest you raise that GPA, add more schools if you can, and get those secondaries out ASAP.

FWIW, I have around the same stats, and I received 5 IIs. I applied early and broadly, however.

good luck bud!

where did you apply? I need to add more DO schools that I have the best chance at