What are my chances? 3.53 cGPA; 3.56 science GPA; MCAT 24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloresMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I am taking the MCAT next friday (August 15, 2014) and I have been scoring in the low to mid twenties. I still have one more year until I apply. If I were to score a 24 on the actual test, what would be my chances of getting admitted into a DO school or a Puerto Rican school? Thanks!
11- 25 (8/8/9)
4- 22 (7/9/6)
5- 24(8/8/8)
7- 24(8/8/8)

Minority (Hispanic)
Volunteering at free clinic (80 hours so far)
Volunteered at a hospice last summer ( 30 hours)
Help to run free health screenings at the flea market ( 22 hours so far)
Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon ( 36 hours )
Shadowed a pediatrician (16 hours)

I have a 3.53 overall and a 3.56 science GPA. By the time I apply my GPA should be >3.6 and my volunteer hours should be up as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You can get a 19-20 on the test and still get into the PR schools. Really. That would probably get you rejected at pretty much every DO school int he country.

How badly do you want the MD after your name?

A 24 will limit you to the newer DO schools, but being a URM will probably cut you some slack.

Be forewarned there's decent evidence showing that low MCAT scores correlate with failing out of med school or failing USMLE I.

Okay I am taking the MCAT next friday (August 15, 2014) and I have been scoring in the low to mid twenties. I still have one more year until I apply. If I were to score a 24 on the actual test, what would be my chances of getting admitted into a DO school or a Puerto Rican school? Thanks!
11- 25 (8/8/9)
4- 22 (7/9/6)
5- 24(8/8/8)
7- 24(8/8/8)

Minority (Hispanic)
Volunteering at free clinic (80 hours so far)
Volunteered at a hospice last summer ( 30 hours)
Help to run free health screenings at the flea market ( 22 hours so far)
Shadowed an orthopedic surgeon ( 36 hours )
Shadowed a pediatrician (16 hours)

I have a 3.53 overall and a 3.56 science GPA. By the time I apply my GPA should be >3.6 and my volunteer hours should be up as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, it's not just the verbal bringing down your score. Take the MCAT once, well. There is no predicting how multiple scores will be interpreted, but none of them is good. A low score will sit in the middle of you application forever, like a cowpie.

Reactions: 1 user
You can get a 19-20 on the test and still get into the PR schools. Really. That would probably get you rejected at pretty much every DO school int he country.

How badly do you want the MD after your name?

A 24 will limit you to the newer DO schools, but being a URM will probably cut you some slack.

Be forewarned there's decent evidence showing that low MCAT scores correlate with failing out of med school or failing USMLE I.
I will postpone the test until october. I thought that I would be able to study everything by myself during the summer but that was not the case. I will enroll in a prep class and hopefully my score will increase.

Reactions: 1 user
I will postpone the test until october. I thought that I would be able to study everything by myself during the summer but that was not the case. I will enroll in a prep class and hopefully my score will increase.
Take all the time you need. Your community needs you and deserves the best.