MD What are my chances ? 3.78 cGPA 3.79 sGPA 28 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StanktheTank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Well I just finished sending out all my secondaries to all the following schools
UCLA david Geffen (so happy and surprised but odds are against me).
Albany
Stony Brook
Buffalo
Suny upstate
NYMC
UConn
Drexler
hofstra
TUFTS
rosalind franklin
NYU
George washington

I am a NY resident URM (Dominican Republic) (live in Washington heights)
as stated before 28 mcat 8 PS 9 VR and 11 BS
-Have shadowed for 70 hours
-voluntered at ICU and ED for 70+ hours
-On my second year of research (bacterial Genetics) ( started summer research program 2013 continued through now)(received a fellowship for my research this summer 2014)
-Residential director of a research program this summer (UASRP
-Organic Chemistry tutor for school second year now (Center for Achievement, Retention and Student Success(CARSS))
-Leadership Award at my school that included a 400 dollar stipend
-Various hours doing community service (around 100)
-Peer Mentor for CSTEp

Do you guys think I will receive any interviews ? just finished them about a week ago.. some 3 weeks ago

Members don't see this ad.

URM or no, I'd like to see more volunteer work in clinics, hospital etc. Are Dominicans considered URM? If so, aim for ALL NY and PA medical schools. Your list looks good.

hey Goro thanks for the feedback
As far as for all dominicans being URm not 100% sure I've seen people say yes and no but I come from a very low income family and was not raised by neither of my parents but great grandparents so i wonder if that puts me in the category
Aside from that I am in the works for getting more shadowing in but there are some clearance issues... does it make it better the doctor I shadowed wrote me a great recommendation for those 70 hours i did with her ?
Also what do you think about emails I am receiving from schools i didn't apply to, to apply such as duke, emory, saint louis should I apply it'll cost money since i used up my fee waiver and money is tight

Members don't see this ad :)
That puts you at "disadvantaged" status, and more importantly, you have what I call a compelling story, which always helps.
I come from a very low income family and was not raised by neither of my parents but great grandparents so i wonder if that puts me in the category
That never hurts! I don't think you need more shadowing, but more patient contact experience.
Aside from that I am in the works for getting more shadowing in but there are some clearance issues... does it make it better the doctor I shadowed wrote me a great recommendation for those 70 hours i did with her ?

I sense they see you're URM and want you, but I also hear that these go out generically.
Also what do you think about emails I am receiving from schools i didn't apply to, to apply such as duke, emory, saint louis should I apply it'll cost money since i used up my fee waiver and money is tight[/QUOTE]

URM or no, I'd like to see more volunteer work in clinics, hospital etc. Are Dominicans considered URM? If so, aim for ALL NY and PA medical schools. Your list looks good.

@Goro what do you consider URM? I haven't seen a definitive list by anyone, seems like nobody truly knows who is and who isn't considered URM. Also, US News and World Report publishes interviewed/accepted/matriculated data of many schools and have a category specifically for # of minorities interviewed/accepted - do you know who is considered a "minority" in this case as well?

Keep in mind that what I think has no bearing on what our our wily old Admissions dean thinks, but to me, URM means Native American, African American, persons of Central American descent, and Puerto Ricans. I haven't a clue about, say, Pacific islanders like Chamoros or other Hispanics from the Caribbean. I do know that people of South American ancestry are not considered URM.

Always best to inquire to the Admissions office of the school you're applying to. I believe that different schools have different definitions!