MD What Are My Chances? 38 (14/10/14), 3.77c, 3.71s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temerit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Traditional Applicant
Caucasian Applicant
Washington State Resident
Attended a Single 4-Year Institution

Neurobiology Major (w/Honors)
Global Health, Bioethics & Humanities Minors
3.79 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA (strong upward trend)
38 MCAT (14/10/14, PS/VR/BS)
Member Phi Beta Kappa

Research
- 1 year, 300+ hours Neurosurgery research, co-author on a paper currently pending acceptance to a journal with an impact factor ~10 (ongoing)

Leadership
- Orientation Leader, lead freshman, transfer, and parent orientations at my university, facilitating group discussions, answering student/parent questions, giving presentations, performing skits etc.
- Team Leader for Healthcare Spring Break Trip, was a participant my first year in the program and a team leader the second year, setting up shadowing, housing, and high school presentations for 7 pre-health undergraduate students.
- Worked for two summers as a camp counselor with children 4-11 years of age, leading activities for full-day summer camps.

Teaching
- Biology tutor for 1.5+ years (500+ hours) working with students of racial/ethnic minorities, low socioeconomic status backgrounds and students with disabilities (ongoing)
- Biology TA for introductory biology class (1 quarter, 140 hours)

Shadowing
- 135 hours in ~10 specialties covering both surgery and medicine
- Also 32 hours shadowing each a pharmacist, dentist, nurse, and physician's assistant

Volunteering
- 225 hours of volunteering at homeless youth clinic in a variety of capacities (ongoing)
- 40 hours of volunteer tutoring at the same place I later became employed
- 35 hours volunteering for my college's radio station as a radio show host and assisting with on-campus music programming (ongoing)

Miscellaneous ECs
- Participated in intramural volleyball league

LORs
- 1 from biology professor for two classes, he is also a physician
- 1 from principal lecturer in biology department, had her for upper level physiology
- 1 from bioethics professor
- 1 from manager of homeless youth clinic I volunteer at
- 1 research letter from professor of neurological surgery (my PI)
- 1 from manager at a past private employer

School List
- Columbia University
- Harvard Medical School
- Keck School of Medicine (USC)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- New York University
- Northwestern University
- Oregon Health and Science University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Stanford University
- Tufts University
- Geffen, UCLA
- UCSD
- UCSF
- University of Chicago
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Washington (in-state)
- Brown University
- Washington University St. Louis
- Cornell University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.

I'm really just worried that this is an unreasonable list. I mean ultimately I only need to get into one of these, but my list is primarily Top20 schools and I'm wondering if that is foolish.

Bump.

I'm really just worried that this is an unreasonable list. I mean ultimately I only need to get into one of these, but my list is primarily Top20 schools and I'm wondering if that is foolish.
This is a good list for you (as long as you can interview reasonably well). If you can't interview well, it's still the kind of list you need.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks good, best of luck!

are you a brotha? b/c if so you're golden

Reactions: 1 users