What Are My Chances? (Advice is Appreciated)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Messier83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello sdn,

I normally cringe when the average poster starts one of these threads (40 MCAT 3.99 GPA Stanford Med is my safety teehee), so I will try to make this as brief as possible with the hopes that it may be of some use to others. I'm looking for genuine guidance from anybody willing to share their perspective.

CA Resident, non-URM, (Nontrad, sort of - 2 years after college I did a postbacc as I was coming from a different industry).

Overall GPA: ~3.60 (+/- .1?), Overall Science GPA: ~3.55
Postbacc GPA: 4.0, 34 MCAT.

EC's: ~1000 research hours, ~800 clinical, ~150 non-clinical, plenty of shadowing, etc.

Red flag: nonviolent (and not a moral-turpitude-based, but still serious) misdemeanor from 4 years go.
As a brief aside, it was a manifestation of a truly immature bozo. I wish I didn't need a wake-up call but this was mine - since the incident I've gladly performed plenty of community service and made meaningful and permanent changes in my life. Another aside: I am in the process of having this expunged but will gladly disclose based on the question posed to me.

Some questions: should I retake the MCAT? I don't mean to deprecate people with this remark - I mean given my individual circumstances I may need a much higher score to make up for the red flag/poor freshman year GPA.

Does anybody recommend any OOS-friendly MD programs? (I've already got a solid list of DO programs I'm stoked about)

Current school list: (feel free to suggest which to add/remove)
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington University
Hofstra
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Creighton
Oregon H S U
Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Eastern VA School of Medicine
Boston Univ
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Univ. So Cal
Tufts

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello sdn,

I normally cringe when the average poster starts one of these threads (40 MCAT 3.99 GPA Stanford Med is my safety teehee), so I will try to make this as brief as possible with the hopes that it may be of some use to others. I'm looking for genuine guidance from anybody willing to share their perspective.

CA Resident, non-URM, (Nontrad, sort of - 2 years after college I did a postbacc as I was coming from a different industry).

Overall GPA: ~3.60 (+/- .1?), Overall Science GPA: ~3.55
Postbacc GPA: 4.0, 34 MCAT.

EC's: ~1000 research hours, ~800 clinical, ~150 non-clinical, plenty of shadowing, etc.

Red flag: nonviolent (and not a moral-turpitude-based, but still serious) misdemeanor from 4 years go.
As a brief aside, it was a manifestation of a truly immature bozo. I wish I didn't need a wake-up call but this was mine - since the incident I've gladly performed plenty of community service and made meaningful and permanent changes in my life. Another aside: I am in the process of having this expunged but will gladly disclose based on the question posed to me.

Some questions: should I retake the MCAT? I don't mean to deprecate people with this remark - I mean given my individual circumstances I may need a much higher score to make up for the red flag/poor freshman year GPA.

Does anybody recommend any OOS-friendly MD programs? (I've already got a solid list of DO programs I'm stoked about)

Current school list: (feel free to suggest which to add/remove)
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington University
Hofstra
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Creighton
Oregon H S U
Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Eastern VA School of Medicine
Boston Univ
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Univ. So Cal
Tufts

Thanks all!

Honestly, as you seem to understand, the only thing holding you back is the spectre of your IA. A higher MCAT is not going to answer whether or not you're mature enough for medical school, rather, volunteering in the community (which it sounds like you've done) and being sincerely remorseful (which it sounds like you are) pave the way to redemption. It sounds like your IA was relatively minor, and adcoms on this site have maintained that they are people too (imagine that!) and realize that good people can make stupid mistakes (especially good people who are 18-20 and in college surrounded by opportunities to make mistakes).

It sounds like your IA was relatively minor.

He didn't say IA. He said
nonviolent (and not a moral-turpitude-based, but still serious) misdemeanor
, as in criminal charges were filed. He also used the word "serious," not "minor."

What that could be varies widely. Public intox, trespassing, and underage consumption are misdemeanors. So are DUI, theft, minor drug dealing, forgery/fraud, and statutory rape/sexual battery. They form two very distinct groups. OP, are you talking a minor misdemeanor/4th degree (minor charge, small fine + CC), or are you talking 1st/2nd degree (serious charge, relatively serious punishment, potentially spent a night in jail)? Essentially, were you handcuffed and put into a cop car?

Members don't see this ad :)
He didn't say IA. He said , as in criminal charges were filed. He also used the word "serious," not "minor."

What that could be varies widely. Public intox, trespassing, and underage consumption are misdemeanors. So are DUI, theft, minor drug dealing, forgery/fraud, and statutory rape/sexual battery. They form two very distinct groups. OP, are you talking a minor misdemeanor/4th degree (minor charge, small fine + CC), or are you talking 1st/2nd degree (serious charge, relatively serious punishment, potentially spent a night in jail)? Essentially, were you handcuffed and put into a cop car?
Sorry, you're right. I interpreted his use of the word "serious" as making sure it didn't seem like he was downplaying his actions. In my mind I was picturing being caught for underage drinking or smoking. If that was the relevant misdemeanor, I stand by my (amended) comment earlier. If it's a more serious indiscretion, I defer to you!

Retaking your MCAT would be a giant mistake no matter what and show horrible judgment skills. Your score is already fine for most schools.

What is your tie to OHSU? If you don't fit their mission, don't apply. Same with UCR.

I don't know what your legal troubles were, but make sure they aren't something that would merit an instant rejection from schools before you waste your time and money. If it is ok, search around for some of the recommendations of schools that like reinvention, those would be a good fit for you.

Honestly, as you seem to understand, the only thing holding you back is the spectre of your IA. A higher MCAT is not going to answer whether or not you're mature enough for medical school, rather, volunteering in the community (which it sounds like you've done) and being sincerely remorseful (which it sounds like you are) pave the way to redemption. It sounds like your IA was relatively minor, and adcoms on this site have maintained that they are people too (imagine that!) and realize that good people can make stupid mistakes (especially good people who are 18-20 and in college surrounded by opportunities to make mistakes).

Thank you but just to clarify, this was not an institutional action but a criminal charge. No institution was involved other than the police.
My only reason for wanting to increase my MCAT score was to eliminate a reason for rejecting me since I already have a few things going against me. You're right though, at this point all I can really hope for is clemency on the part of the Adcoms and their willingness to grant me this second chance.

Last edited:
Retaking your MCAT would be a giant mistake no matter what and show horrible judgment skills. Your score is already fine for most schools.

What is your tie to OHSU? If you don't fit their mission, don't apply. Same with UCR.

I don't know what your legal troubles were, but make sure they aren't something that would merit an instant rejection from schools before you waste your time and money. If it is ok, search around for some of the recommendations of schools that like reinvention, those would be a good fit for you.

RE: MCAT - noted, thank you. To be honest I doubt I can improve that much anyway from the current score. Not to mention the misery of studying another 2 months.

My tie to UCR is simply that I live reasonably close by. I have not had a chance to research their mission statement as of yet. OHSU was selected because it's a post-bacc heavy school (or so I heard) and they seem to emphasize that they want the most holistic/diverse applicant possible, not just numbers - this is where I think I can contribute most.

He didn't say IA. He said , as in criminal charges were filed. He also used the word "serious," not "minor."

Thanks for the reply. I realize misdemeanor is such a broad term and can encompass the seemingly trivial (underage drinking) to the outright atrocious (rape, etc). My misdemeanor was a DUI, so yes to the cop-car+handcuffs combo. When I mentioned that I had made permanent changes I specifically meant that I had given up alcohol (since the night of the arrest).

Last edited:
To be brutally honest, a DUI is perhaps the most serious misdemeanor for medical school. This will affect your chances.

However, not all is lost! It was a long time ago, and people make mistakes. You seem to have made a serious life change as a result of this incident. You will need to be honest, self-deprecating, and thorough in your explanation on your primary and secondaries, and, if you get an interview, be prepared to be grilled. A DUI as a physician will cost you your license, so medical schools will want to be careful.

Show that you've learned from your mistake. Read into the experiences of others in your situation - there are many people who've been in your shoes. This unfortunate incident isn't a reason not to apply. It'll make the climb a little steeper, but you can manage it.

I hear that having a DUI on your record is very, very bad for you. Your stats are good. Don't retake the MCAT. Apply broadly and just hope that one school will be willing to overlook it.

Be prepared to flat-out admit you made a serious mistake and did something very very stupid during an interview. That making such a bad mistake and going through that ordeal really, really hammered home for you how quickly poor decisions can turn into enormous errors.

To be brutally honest, a DUI is perhaps the most serious misdemeanor for medical school. This will affect your chances.

However, not all is lost! It was a long time ago, and people make mistakes. You seem to have made a serious life change as a result of this incident. You will need to be honest, self-deprecating, and thorough in your explanation on your primary and secondaries, and, if you get an interview, be prepared to be grilled. A DUI as a physician will cost you your license, so medical schools will want to be careful.

Show that you've learned from your mistake. Read into the experiences of others in your situation - there are many people who've been in your shoes. This unfortunate incident isn't a reason not to apply. It'll make the climb a little steeper, but you can manage it.

Thank you for the sober yet kind words. As I mentioned, it was a very serious wake-up call that led to maturation as well as critical self-discovery. I carry this lesson with humility of course. With that being said, I completely understand if some medical schools will dismiss my application - I am ready to reapply next year and go Caribbean if needed be.

I hear that having a DUI on your record is very, very bad for you. Your stats are good. Don't retake the MCAT. Apply broadly and just hope that one school will be willing to overlook it.

Be prepared to flat-out admit you made a serious mistake and did something very very stupid during an interview. That making such a bad mistake and going through that ordeal really, really hammered home for you how quickly poor decisions can turn into enormous errors.

Noted, Jon. As stupid of a mistake as it was, and without a doubt I would give anything to reverse it, I cannot. However, I grew from it so all was not in vain.

Btw, I see you're an accepted student. Congrats on the acceptance!

Your MCAT is lovely.
Delete OHSU, UCR and GW. You need a lot more schools (because of the record).

Awesome! Thanks.

I'm reworking a list now

Just curious, why delete UCR and not UCI? (I know all the California schools are a stretch of course)

Updated List:

Albany
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Loyola-Stritch
Oakland Univ - Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
The Commonwealth Medical College
Med College Wisconsin
Jefferson College
University of Arizona
UConn
USC
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Tufts
Boston University
Eastern VA Medical School
Tulane
Georgetown

Any more suggestions? What should a number be? 30 schools?

Updated List:

Albany
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Loyola-Stritch
Oakland Univ - Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
The Commonwealth Medical College
Med College Wisconsin
Jefferson College
University of Arizona
UConn
USC
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Tufts
Boston University
Eastern VA Medical School
Tulane
Georgetown

Any more suggestions? What should a number be? 30 schools?
30 sounds good. Might as well apply to both AZ schools..

Awesome! Thanks.

I'm reworking a list now

Just curious, why delete UCR and not UCI? (I know all the California schools are a stretch of course)
The generous benefactor who made it possible for UCR to open its own medical school stipulated that the mission of the school is to provide physicians for the inland empire. Most CA applicants don't pass muster with that screen. UCD, on the other hand has as one of it's missions, the provision of physicians to the central valley and rural CA. It has a larger class and a broader mission and is one of the few CA schools with an IS preference.

The generous benefactor who made it possible for UCR to open its own medical school stipulated that the mission of the school is to provide physicians for the inland empire. Most CA applicants don't pass muster with that screen. UCD, on the other hand has as one of it's missions, the provision of physicians to the central valley and rural CA. It has a larger class and a broader mission and is one of the few CA schools with an IS preference.

This is precisely the sort of crucial advice I was hoping for. I appreciate it, gyngyn.