what are my chances at a DO program? low undergrad, mph, smp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would truly appreciate any feedback, looking to apply spring 2015. I earned my BS in 2012, my MPH 2013, and am working on an SMP at the moment and am on track to finish in a few weeks. I had a rough beginning, have been trying my best to improve and get into medicine. I plan on taking the new MCAT, have not taken ever yet. I have >100 hrs clinical experience, >100 shadowing a MD/DO, medical trip abroad, and am currently doing research in a lab, hopeful to publish before applying (not sure if publication will matter). Have a letter from a DO, MPH professor, and SMP professor. Retook a few undergrad sci courses to pass anything I failed still while I was an undergrad..Considered retaking undergrad courses but if I do now, will only be considered post-bac I believe since I already graduated?

As per my mock aacomas profile (just so I can see what the numbers come out to be)
-undergrad s2.5, c3.1
-MPH c3.6
-SMP c3.5

My overall aacomas numbers which put everything together are giving me a overall s2.9, c3.2. Even if I take a few more graduate courses and get As next semester, my overall science goes up minimally and is still under a 3.0.
I am prepping for new MCAT, looking to build a DO school list, and for general advice. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would truly appreciate any feedback, looking to apply spring 2015. I earned my BS in 2012, my MPH 2013, and am working on an SMP at the moment and am on track to finish in a few weeks. I had a rough beginning, have been trying my best to improve and get into medicine. I plan on taking the new MCAT, have not taken ever yet. I have >100 hrs clinical experience, >100 shadowing a MD/DO, medical trip abroad, and am currently doing research in a lab, hopeful to publish before applying (not sure if publication will matter). Have a letter from a DO, MPH professor, and SMP professor. Retook a few undergrad sci courses to pass anything I failed still while I was an undergrad..Considered retaking undergrad courses but if I do now, will only be considered post-bac I believe since I already graduated?

As per my mock aacomas profile (just so I can see what the numbers come out to be)
-undergrad s2.5, c3.1
-MPH c3.6
-SMP c3.5

My overall aacomas numbers which put everything together are giving me a overall s2.9, c3.2. Even if I take a few more graduate courses and get As next semester, my overall science goes up minimally and is still under a 3.0.
I am prepping for new MCAT, looking to build a DO school list, and for general advice. thanks

Under 3 science is going to really hurt your application. Can you retake and F/D science coursework at a CC to bump up that sgpa to over 3? If you do that get a nice MCAT score and keep up the good ECs and apply early/broadly I would say you stand a good chance. Not sure what MCAT you would need with the new MCAT.

Rock the MCAT and with that SMP, you should get lots of IIs. there are medical schools that believe in reinvention.

-undergrad s2.5, c3.1
-MPH c3.6
-SMP c3.5

Members don't see this ad :)
Under 3 science is going to really hurt your application. Can you retake and F/D science coursework at a CC to bump up that sgpa to over 3? If you do that get a nice MCAT score and keep up the good ECs and apply early/broadly I would say you stand a good chance. Not sure what MCAT you would need with the new MCAT.

Thanks for your response. After playing some more with my aacomas profile, it seems that if I retake even a few undergrad courses now (Spring 2015), there's a significant jump in my overall sci gpa. It brings me over the 3.0 mark for sure. Its seems that it would be more favorable retaking undergrad classes vs taking more SMP courses since the grades are replaced. However, would it matter/look poorly if I am retaking a course for the third time? For example, I failed chem 1 initially, retook and earned a C while I was still an undergrad (poor choice, just rushing to get it done), but after all of my upper level coursework in grad school and studying for the MCAT now, I am confident I can earn a much better grade, an A, if I retake Chem 1 at a CC. I'd appreciate your feedback. I do not have any F/D's but did retake courses I initially failed such as Chem only to get a C in it the second time.

Rock the MCAT and with that SMP, you should get lots of IIs. there are medical schools that believe in reinvention.

Thank you so much. Your words mean a lot. I plan on taking the new MCAT in early Spring. In the mean time, I'd like to use my time as wisely as possible to become a strong candidate. I am maintaining relevant activities and working on lab research since I do not have much experience there. Would you advise taking more SMP courses or retaking undergrad sci courses I did poorly in (C's) during this time? I've thought about it this way, the undergrad courses will bring my overall aacomas sci gpa up more significantly and may also be as asset when taking the MCAT. On the other hand, my SMP is about a 3.5 with about 25 credits, would schools want to see more classes? Thanks

You have a strong gGPA from the SMP, so I think it would do you better to retake the C science courses, which will significantly boost your cGPA.

Would you advise taking more SMP courses or retaking undergrad sci courses I did poorly in (C's) during this time? I've thought about it this way, the undergrad courses will bring my overall aacomas sci gpa up more significantly and may also be as asset when taking the MCAT. On the other hand, my SMP is about a 3.5 with about 25 credits, would schools want to see more classes?

Now that its closer to spring registration, I have some updates and new questions I would appreciate your feedback on. My smp gpa is actually a 3.38. In terms of retaking undergrad sci courses, of the following- which do you recommend I retake? (Are there certain classes DO schools weigh more?) Phys, Chem, Orgo? I must take Phys 2 because I never did (was not required). I only can afford to take a total of 3 classes, so 2 more. All grades are a C. I will be retaking at a Community College. Thanks.