What are my chances at MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saada9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advise please!
i graduated with a 3.1 gpa in biology. my last two semesters i got 3.50 gpa and made the dean's list.
im disadvantaged, migrating to the US knowing only arabic and living with 7 siblings with the help of the government assitance.
I did 6 months interning at ecology lab at my university
6 months internship at surgical acute care at a hospital
6 months shadowing my family physician
currently volunteering at MICU at Sharp hospital
1 year helping elementary school kids stay active and helping with their homework
Currently studying for the Mcat
What are my chances of getting into medical school after my mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Need some advise please!
i graduated with a 3.1 gpa in biology. my last two semesters i got 3.50 gpa and made the dean's list.
im disadvantaged, migrating to the US knowing only arabic and living with 7 siblings with the help of the government assitance.
I did 6 months interning at ecology lab at my university
6 months internship at surgical acute care at a hospital
6 months shadowing my family physician
currently volunteering at MICU at Sharp hospital
1 year helping elementary school kids stay active and helping with their homework
Currently studying for the Mcat
What are my chances of getting into medical school after my mcat?
1) Have you figured out your science GPA yet? What is it?

2) If you've taken any MCAT practice tests, what are you scoring?

3) How many shadowing hours do you have? Is your family doc a DO by any chance? If not, could your current doc maybe recommend you to a local DO for more shadowing?

4) When do you plan to apply, and will you be taking additional classwork before then? Have you taken advantage of the AACOMAS DO grade replacement policy for any particularly low grades?

3.15sGPA
Ive been taking passages and doing well on them missing 1 or 2 max out of 8 questions
shadowing my physician 100+ hes an MD
surgicial acute care i did around 100 hours and 80 clinical hours
MICU just started
I already graduated from my university.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is too low for MD schools and also a little low for DO schools, but with the positive grade trend, taking into account the disadvantage, and assuming you get a good MCAT score (30+), you should have a decent shot at DO schools.

thanks for the reply! What should i do after my mcat? Should i consider postbac or masters program?

thanks for the reply! What should i do after my mcat? Should i consider postbac or masters program?
I would start with a postbac, demonstrating consistent grades in the A range in upper-level Bio and Biochem, as well as replacing low grades in other disciplines where possible. Once you've demonstrated your potential, if you want your best shot at MD, then consider a Special Masters Program (where you take classes along with first year med students), not a traditional masters.