What are my chances? (Canadian Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aryanenzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Sorry, It appears ive posted this in the wrong section.

It doesn't matter if its DO or MD at this point, but...

1st year: 2.8 gpa
2nd year: 3.55 gpa
3rd year. 4.00 gpa
4th year: 3.60 gpa
5th year. 3.90 gpa

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: ~3.70-3.75

MCAT:
Attempt 1: 11 bio, 10 phys, 9 vr
Attempt 2: 12 bio, 10 phys, 9 vr ( I didn't study at all for this one, I knew the format is changing and some schools don't accept the old format and it was a mistake to sign up in the first place but I went with it anyways)
Attempt 3: In a month, let's assume things don't change that much for the sake of this thread.

ECs:
Voluntered with Big brother (250 hours/1.5 years)
Volunteered at a physiotherapy clinic (250 hours over 2 years)
Tutored 4 immigrant ESL students (1 year)
General biology tutoring (1 semester)
Have made my own business (a small online computer retailer- 1.5 years)
Researched one semester with a NSERC scholarship
two other scholarships
various other personal things

Planning to do by the time I apply to the US in 2017:

Create a advocacy group
Volunteering in Africa for a month or two
Volunteering at a nursing home
Volunteering at St.John's ambulance
1 year in Japan teaching English under the JET program
Shadow a physician (My dad is a surgeon so he may be able to help me out with his connections)
various other things that may come along the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The problem is that you are an international applicant, and that 3.55/30 is going to hurt you at MD schools. I have no idea how DO schools look at international applicants, maybe @Goro can chime in.

the volunteering in Africa thing threw me off based on the word "aryan" in your username

Members don't see this ad :)
the volunteering in Africa thing threw me off based on the word "aryan" in your username

You sure are quick to judge. What exactly is the purpose of your response? it's my first name, it's s popular male given name in eastern countries.

You sure are quick to judge. What exactly is the purpose of your response? it's my first name, it's s popular male given name in eastern countries.

Ironically, in the US. The name "Aryan" also belongs to a group of White Supreme :D.

It's a term associated with the Nazis and racism.

The multiple low MCATs will kill your chances for US MD schools. For DO, you should be OK for those that accept international applicants. i have a list somewhere. Mine, alas, only takes US citizens or green card holders.

The piece in bold below is a sing of poor choice making, something we're allergic to. This is a career-deciding, high stakes exam. It's disconcerting to see someone treat it so flippantly, especially when the results follow you around forever.
Attempt 2: 12 bio, 10 phys, 9 vr ( I didn't study at all for this one, I knew the format is changing and some schools don't accept the old format and it was a mistake to sign up in the first place but I went with it anyways)

Maybe just go by Ryan....

It's a term associated with the Nazis and racism.

The multiple low MCATs will kill your chances for US MD schools. For DO, you should be OK for those that accept international applicants. i have a list somewhere. Mine, alas, only takes US citizens or green card holders.

The piece in bold below is a sing of poor choice making, something we're allergic to. This is a career-deciding, high stakes exam. It's disconcerting to see someone treat it so flippantly, especially when the results follow you around forever.

Canadian school don't care about multiple takes.

Why do US schools care how many times you take the MCAT if your scores weren't that bad in the first place and show improvement?

Canadian school don't care about multiple takes.

Why do US schools care how many times you take the MCAT if your scores weren't that bad in the first place and show improvement?
A.) A one point jump is not a significant improvement.
B.) It raises legitimate concerns. Why didn't you study enough the first time? Why didn't you learn your lesson the second time? Can we apply this poor decision making more generally? You get the idea.

Reactions: 1 users
A.) A one point jump is not a significant improvement.
B.) It raises legitimate concerns. Why didn't you study enough the first time? Why didn't you learn your lesson the second time? Can we apply this poor decision making more generally? You get the idea.

This would be true if my score was in the mid 20s. not a 30-31.

Anyways if they're going to reject my application based on the fact i've taken the MCAT three times and did relatively well on all 3 tries they can do that. If someone gets a score of 40, 50 times, is that bad too? It's quite propostrous to judge a application based on the number of times the MCAT was taken. If it was a score of 21 after 5 tries then yes i would agree with them but otherwise it makes no sense.

My main goal is Canada anyways.

Really bad.
Twice would be disturbing.

What happens if one was forced to retake due to it being more than 3 years apart? Some schools only accept scores from the past 2 years. Is there somewhere on the application to indicate that...

I know retaking an already good score looks bad but some people are neurotic and want to appeal to as many schools as possible so I don't think it should be grounds for rejection (on this forum, I've seen people say it was).

Last edited:
What happens if one was forced to retake due to it being more than 3 years apart? Some schools only accept scores from the past 2 years. Is there somewhere on the application to indicate that...
This would be fine. No need to indicate.

You really should not be taking the MCAT a 3rd time. Like at all. You have stats that are sufficient for DO schools that take internationals. That you said is your goal.

The odds of someone improving substantially enough to make taking the MCAT a 3rd time are very low. And even if by the small statistical chance you do make a big improvement its still going to be very tough getting into an MD school as an international applicant. There are Canadian applicants with far better than 3.55/36 who get shut out from US MDs routinely. That's unfortunately just the reality