MD & DO What are my chances? (cGPA 3.41, sGPA 3.56, no MCAT yet)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cthomsen

Reaction score
I'm a 22 yr old female, non-URM, PA resident, looking to apply to med school this summer to start in Fall of 2019.
My college GPA is 3.41, science GPA is 3.56, and I'm planning to take the MCAT in early September (studying all summer).

I've been a TA for General Biology classes for one year, and a TA for Microbiology labs for one semester.
I was a research assistant for a Psychology professor for two semesters (no publications).
I have over 100+ hours shadowing doctors at Penn State Medical Center.
I have some various community service experience through college (animal shelters, nursing homes, etc.), as well as in high school (fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund, miniTHON committee), and through my sorority (philanthropy chair). About 100+ hours total throughout the years.
Currently starting a Medical Scribe position at a Urology clinic for one year (begins this month).
Possibly also entering a clinical research assistant position this year under a Sports Medicine M.D. with an expected publication.
I have letters of rec from two different science professors I worked closely with as well as two doctors, one I have worked closely with for two summers now, one I will be working with this summer.

Since I haven't taken my MCAT yet, I know I realistically don't know what my chances are, however I am a hard worker and I'm going to try to score within the 75th percentile if not higher. I'm looking into both M.D. and D.O. programs, however preferably M.D. as there is only one D.O. program I would be interested in. Here is my current school list:

Wake Forest
Loyola (Chicago)
UC Davis
George Washington University
Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Philly)
University of Arizona
Philly COM (D.O.)
Albany
Penn State *reach school*
Georgetown *reach school*

Looking for D.O. school suggestions too, particularly in the east or west coast (would like to stay out of the midwest if possible). Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After some scrolling through the forums, I noticed another person said they were taking their MCATs in August but trying to apply this cycle, and some people said they should wait and apply next cycle... now I'm conflicted. Any advice? Please help!

A September MCAT is too late for the MD cycle. You will not receive your score until October so medical schools will not review your application until the 2nd half of October. By that time all the September and October interviews are done and most of the November slots already filled. It is also not possible to make a rational school list without a MCAT score. However, if you are willing to apply only to DO schools you could apply to an appropriate list of DO schools in October once your MCAT score is known.

Members don't see this ad :)
A September MCAT is too late for the MD cycle. You will not receive your score until October so medical schools will not review your application until the 2nd half of October. By that time all the September and October interviews are done and most of the November slots already filled. It is also not possible to make a rational school list without a MCAT score. However, if you are willing to apply only to DO schools you could apply to an appropriate list of DO schools in October once your MCAT score is known.

@Faha thank you so much for your input! In my situation, what would you suggest to increase my chances? Should I take the MCAT earlier, risking less time to study and doing worse overall, or should I take a 2nd gap year, enrolling in an SMP or boosting my application in other aspects?

A DIY post bacc at a local college with the goal of increasing your GPA would make you more competitive. If you can increase your cGPA to 3.5 it would help. Take the MCAT when your practice scores are consistently over 508. When you apply next year apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Post your MCAT score in the future.

@Faha thanks again. I'm taking biochem in the fall regardless, since I couldn't fit it into my undergrad schedule (I decided on med school a little later on in my college career). However, I'm mostly banking on a decent MCAT to compensate for my substandard GPA. My cGPA is definitely on the lower scale, but it has a stark upward trend. I have the typical "messed up freshman year but made up for it later on" scenario.