What are my chances? DPT to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snickdpt

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am a non-traditional physical therapist (29) who has been practicing for two years looking to apply to the 2024 MD/DO cycle. I was curious what my chances were given my stats. I am still planning on taking O-chem 1/2 next year and taking the MCAT spring of 2024 but was wondering if it would even be worth it given my current stats. I would like to go the MD route but am more than happy to go DO given my experience as a PT.

Here is a rough estimate of my current stats:
cGPA: 3.44 (still need to take o chem/possibly biochem)
sGPA: 3.2-3.5 (depending on how it's calculated AAMC vs. AACOMAS due to two C's in math freshman year of college)
Graduate GPA (DPT): 3.7
Last 60 hours GPA undergrad: 3.65

ECs:
-4,500 hours practicing as a supervising physical therapist in multiple settings
-1,200 hours working as an ER scribe
-1,000 hours working as an optometrist scribe
-Shadowing: 15 hours endocrinology, 15 hours occupational medicine, 2 hours ortho
-Undergraduate drug delivery research
-Graduate school systematic review (unpublished)
-Planning on getting 3 strong LORs (MD, DO, and PT school professor)

I am just wondering if I have a good shot at a DO school or if it would be a waste of time to try and take O chem while working full time then taking 3 months off to study for the MCAT? Should I try to take more pre-reqs to bump up my GPA or will GPA not hinder me too much because I am a non-traditional?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a very strong shot at DO and maybe even some MD schools. You ECs look incredible. RIght now try to get a good grade for O chem and biochem and kill it on MCAT, But you DEFINITELY have a very strong shot. A lot of places would be lucky to have you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a very strong shot at DO and maybe even some MD schools. You ECs look incredible. RIght now try to get a good grade for O chem and biochem and kill it on MCAT, But you DEFINITELY have a very strong shot. A lot of places would be lucky to have you.
Thanks for the response! That makes me feel better so would it not be worth it to retake other pre-reqs like gen chem (all B's) to bump the GPA up slightly more?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are pretty much identical to mine - I'm also an allied health professional with a masters degree and 3 years in practice - and I will be starting MD school next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are pretty much identical to mine - I'm also an allied health professional with a masters degree and 3 years in practice - and I will be starting MD school next year.
Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking what did you get on your MCAT?

I'd say you've got a great shot!! I know an allied health professional who got a 506-510 range MCAT and got interviews/acceptances to several US MD programs. Congrats :)

With a doctorate, you'd don't have to aim too high on the MCAT. 506-510 is safe and just apply broadly.

I'm not an instructive example, I'm sorry! I tried to study on the weekends and do anki cards here and there, but really I did most of my studying when I took a week off work right before the exam. I mainly used the AAMC material, but also sometimes I watched Khan Academy videos for concepts I wasn't previously familiar with. I don't think I did anything special, I am just a strong test taker.

Last edited:
I'm not an instructive example, I'm sorry! I tried to study on the weekends and do anki cards here and there, but really I did most of my studying when I took a week off work right before the exam. I mainly used the AAMC material, but also sometimes I watched Khan Academy videos for concepts I wasn't previously familiar with. I don't think I did anything special, I am just a strong test taker.
What was your previous profession