What Are My Chances for Cali MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackelmore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up

Im a re applicant who got one interview last year.

BS in bio with gpa 3.6 sci
MCAT (second try) 31 with a 7 in verbal

Now i have a MS in bio (3.9 gpa) lot of volunteer experience (both abroad and hospital) and more shadowing experience. Also involved in some global health orgs.

What are my chances at UCI or UCR med? or even other mid tier schools?

What can i do to improve my chances? Re take mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up

Now i have a MS in bio (3.9 gpa) lot of volunteer experience (both abroad and hospital) and more shadowing experience. Also involved in some global health orgs.

You need to apply OOS. There are a number of fine schools that might interview you. CA MD, not so much.

Whats up

Pretty low. If you really want to stay in CA you'll likely have to go DO (Touro/Western).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not very optimistic with that VR7, unless you're an ESL. You MAY have a chance at UCLA, becasue I've seen some people post here that they got in despite the less than classical numbers. UCI and UCR, I'm less optimistic on. UCD...maybe. Other UCs? Forget 'em.

Best to call Admissions Deans and ask if you're competetive.

Whats up

Well, I'm not very optimistic with that VR7, unless you're an ESL. You MAY have a chance at UCLA, becasue I've seen some people post here that they got in despite the less than classical numbers. UCI and UCR, I'm less optimistic on. UCD...maybe. Other UCs? Forget 'em.

Best to call Admissions Deans and ask if you're competetive.
UCLA's median MCAT is 35+ and the OP was unsuccessful in CA with 31 on last attempt. The Prime kids and Drew have lower MCAT scores but are mission driven and it didn't work for OP this cycle. I don't know a single CA admissions dean who does re-ap counselling, hence...OOS or DO.