What are my chances for Caribbean Shools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojoflex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am planning on applying to the Caribbean schools (AUC, SGU, ROSS) and would appreciate your feedback on my credentials and chances of getting in for May.

MCAT: 22
cGPA: 3.339
sGPA: Not sure, but somewhere around that range

E/Cs
Key Club
Augustana Health care center of Minneapolis- 100 hours
Kaiser Volunteer 2 years- 200 hours+
NYU Medical Center Intern- 200 hours+
Undergrad research- 6 months on campus
Loma Linda Research 1 year
Cedar Sinai Research- 6 months and counting
I just got a postion as a medical scribe
EMT-Basic certified (need to renew license)
I was part of 3 honor societies on campus

I also have 2 publications from my research at Loma Linda.

I know my MCAT is low, but what are my chances? Should I just retake the MCAT and if I score mid 20s- 30 range and apply for DO or do you think I have a fair chance of getting into one of the caribbean schools? I prefer to go to AUC or SGU. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply to the Caribbean schools; it's almost impossible to get into a residency from there. Retake your MCAT and apply to DO schools. To put it bluntly, the Caribbean schools are worthless.

Do you think I would have a decent shot at DO schools with my credentials, aside from my MCAT? And what would be an ideal MCAT score for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I am planning on applying to the Caribbean schools (AUC, SGU, ROSS) and would appreciate your feedback on my credentials and chances of getting in for May.

MCAT: 22
cGPA: 3.339
sGPA: Not sure, but somewhere around that range

E/Cs
Key Club
Augustana Health care center of Minneapolis- 100 hours
Kaiser Volunteer 2 years- 200 hours+
NYU Medical Center Intern- 200 hours+
Undergrad research- 6 months on campus
Loma Linda Research 1 year
Cedar Sinai Research- 6 months and counting
I just got a postion as a medical scribe
EMT-Basic certified (need to renew license)
I was part of 3 honor societies on campus

I also have 2 publications from my research at Loma Linda.

I know my MCAT is low, but what are my chances? Should I just retake the MCAT and if I score mid 20s- 30 range and apply for DO or do you think I have a fair chance of getting into one of the caribbean schools? I prefer to go to AUC or SGU. Thanks for the advice!

Retake the mcat and apply DO... 25+ will probably get you into one of the newer DO schools (ACOM, WCU, Marian, Campbell, DCOM etc...). However, you should shoot for 28+ mcat so you can be competitive at many schools. Your GPA is not that bad. You should not even think about carib because it's too risky.

Do you think I would have a decent shot at DO schools with my credentials, aside from my MCAT? And what would be an ideal MCAT score for DO schools?

Your chances with 22 mcat are slim. Retake the mcat.

Last edited:
you could try these DO schools and see what happens: ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, LMU, VCOM, PNWU, WVSOM, KYCOM, PCOM-Ga, and WCU.

You have several options left before going Caribbean, which should ALWAYS be last resort.

I would definitely look into DO schools as everyone has mentioned above, and, if you can spare the funds, a post-bacc or SMP will help tremendously also.

Good luck!

Retake the MCAT, get 25+, go DO.

Go to the Caribbean... for spring break. Then come back refreshed, retake the MCAT for a 26+, and apply DO.

Even at the newer DO schools, I don't think that your chances are that great because your GPA isn't high enough to compensate for your MCAT. Also, DO shouldn't be a back-up plan because you want to be a doctor. You will inevitably be asked "why DO?", and you need to have a meaningful answer. What's your MCAT score distribution?

Distribution is irrelevant. The OP needs to retake the MCAT and score 26+. The OP should go Caribbean under no circumstances. Retake the MCAT in June or July. Submit your primaries in June to get verified at 1 school, then send in your new and improved MCAT score and add other schools.

What kind of preparation effort did you put forth to yield that 22 MCAT?

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I will retake the MCAT and apply for D.O.