What are my chances for DO school? URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwade06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.18 cgpa. 3.8 gpa in my upper level biology classes (10 classes in total). 25 mcat (6 verbal 8 physical and Bio).

I have retaken Bio 102 and gotten an A-. Have retaken chem 101 and have gotten an A. Got a C in Bio 101 which I have never retaken and have an F in my transcript in Calc 1 which I have not retaken.

I have volunteered in ER for 165 hours (250 by the summer) and have 250 hours volunteering in a nursing home. Currently working as a lab aide in a dermatopathology lab. DO I have a shot at DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Calculate your sGPA (don't include math or stats) and retake any course with C/D/F grades to boost your cGPA. Your chances as of now aren't great, and URM status isn't as effective in DO admissions. You would additionally need DO shadowing and LOR to maximize your chances.

As stated above, definitely retake at least calculus, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to retake Bio either. Assuming you do not retake the mcat, your cumulate and science gpa needs to rise to a 3.3 for you to have a chance. Even with an upward gpa trend, a 3.1 is low for DO schools. I would think that getting an A or so in calculus the second time around would bring your gpa close to that since DO schools replace the old grade with the new grade. If that turns out not to be the case though, I suggest a post-bacc or masters program.