What are my chances for MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolfans1088

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to University of Michigan and graduated with a sGPA of 3.45 and cGPA of 3.63. My MCAT score 31(10/10/11). I was on a nationally ranked club tennis team and leadership position of fraternity. I have been published conducting research working for both the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic. I also have over 400 hours clinical research working with patients at UofM. I have over a 100 hours of shadowing and about 100 hours of community service. I am a FL resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you can interview reasonably well, you're good to go for most/all DO programs, and you have a solid shot at some MD schools. The sGPA isn't too good but isn't bad either. Apply broadly and strategically.

Members don't see this ad :)
100 Service hours total or 100 hours clinical volunteering?

I went to University of Michigan and graduated with a sGPA of 3.45 and cGPA of 3.63. My MCAT score 31(10/10/11). I was on a nationally ranked club tennis team and leadership position of fraternity. I have been published conducting research working for both the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic. I also have over 400 hours clinical research working with patients at UofM. I have over a 100 hours of shadowing and about 100 hours of community service. I am a FL resident.

To me for MD, your GPA is slightly below average, your MCAT is around average (for matriculants), your school ECs are great, your research is great, and your clinical experience is around what the average applicant has. Being a Florida resident is a positive as well. In my unprofessional opinion, I would say a broad application (assuming decent interview skills) will get you a MD acceptance somewhere.

To me for MD, your GPA is slightly below average, your MCAT is around average (for matriculants), your school ECs are great, your research is great, and your clinical experience is around what the average applicant has. Being a Florida resident is a positive as well. In my unprofessional opinion, I would say a broad application (assuming decent interview skills) will get you a MD acceptance somewhere.

I would agree U of Michigan is well respected in the medical community and some schools will likely give you some pull for that.