What are my Chances for md or do or foreign school? (comp sci)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdmiralDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Male 26 White Californian.
Computer Science Major.
I've only taken the bare minimum Pre-Med courses in addition to dozens of computer science and advanced math courses.
Cumm: 3.29
Science: 3.8 ( Early in my school career I didn't put any effort into the GE classes I was taking)

Last year they will see I got a 4.0 (Including in O chem 1 and 2 and labs).

36 MCAT from last fall. Thinking about applying this summer.

I don't know if I should do a post bac or not to improve my GPA (it wouldn't improve much because I have 160+ units.

If it helps I have outstanding Letters of Rec. from extremely prominent doctors and a good mix of research and clinical experience as well as several apps on the apple store.

My low GPA will prohibit most MDs I feel (though some prominent professors have told me otherwise).

What do y'all think I should do? I plan on joining military once I get into a school so I don't have any DO or MD preference. BTW I want to be a military Psychiatrist.

Please advise. Much appreciated. Also I'm Jewish so would be open to Israeli Medical Schools if anyone has any strange advice about that.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've had a steep rising grade trend (which it sound slike you have) then I suggest that you would indeed be a very good candidate. There are plenty of MD schools that look at the last 2-3 years of performance, and/or reward reinvention.

Think about your state school, Vandy, Duke, Columbia, Dartmouth (maybe) U Miami, Wayne State, BU, Tufts, the Philly triplets, Albany, NYMC and Loyola, for starters, as well as any DO school.

If you want to practice medicine in the US, go to an American medical school. I knew a Sackler grad once, professionally. Meh.

Chances at MD are great! Choose schools wisely! Would be great for any DO

Thanks for the awesome feedback. I'm feeling better (which is what this forum is all about isn't it?).