What are my chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated as a bio major from vanderbilt with a 3.58 gpa (overall and science). Got a 30 (12P, 7V, 11B) on my MCATS. English is my second language. Got high honors on senior thesis and have extensive extracurricular s.
My question is what are my chances for MD? (i applied to low and mid tier schools)
Should I wait to reapply next cycle and apply to postbac programs now OR apply DO this cycle?
Any suggestions and anecdotes will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated as a bio major from emory with a 3.58 gpa (overall and science). Got a 30 (12P, 7V, 11B) on my MCATS. English is not my second language. Got high honors on senior thesis and have extensive extracurricular s.
My question is what are my chances for MD? (i applied to low and mid tier schools)
Should I wait to reapply next cycle and apply to postbac programs now OR apply DO this cycle?

I think you will be fine. If you need to reapply, which I don't see why unless there is a redflag somewhere, then try to get your VR score up. Apply DO if you are interested in it; otherwise, don't waste your time and money or the adcom's time (no harshness here). What are your extracurriculars? Good luck this cycle so you won't have to reapply!

Nice change in post before the person above captured your previous one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated as a bio major from vanderbilt with a 3.58 gpa (overall and science). Got a 30 (12P, 7V, 11B) on my MCATS. English is my second language. Got high honors on senior thesis and have extensive extracurricular s.

Are you a URM? Low verbal score may be an issue for some schools. It's still not too late to apply to DO schools, you'll likely be accepted to at least one this cycle if you apply broadly.

You should have some luck with numbers like those, even with the 7VR. I suggest waiting out this interview cycle, re-taking the MCAT if you don't get any acceptances, and also apply to DO schools next year.

That took me a long time to catch. What about applying this cycle? I see some people are only now submitting secondaries and fellow forum members are saying they are just fine...

OP, please don't cross post the same thread in multiple forums. I have merged your two threads here.

To answer your question, you should do everything in your power to maximize your chances of acceptance the first time around. So yes, you have a chance for MD, and yes, you should apply DO this year also.