What are my chances for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherPre-med

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I hope all of you are safe and are doing well! I would love some input and advice regarding my MCAT and GPA.

Im a 24 year old, applying late this cycle.

Undergraduate GPA:
3.23 cGPA and 3.15 sGPA.
I have a really good upward trend (Freshman: 2.3, sophomore: 3.23. junior: 3.20 , and senior: 3.76). My freshman year was my easiest year, yet my worst GPA wise. On the other hand, my senior year was my hardest (all upper level biology classes) but was the best GPA wise.

Graduate Master GPA:
GPA: 3.88
It was at a prestigious Medical School. The degree focused biochemistry and bioinformatics.

MCAT: 511 (127/125/129/130)

Volunteer
:
Non-clinical: About 600 hours (split between various organizations).

Research:
- Over a thousand hours easily
- One publication (possibly two) from NIH, 4 projects, 3 poster presentations.

Clinical:
- 250 hours of hospital shadowing
- 500 hours of scribing

Awards/honors:
- 2 honors society, 1 scholarship, and 1 research grant.

Leadership
- President for two organization

I would love any advice and help regarding my application. I also got accepted into multiple smp programs for next fall. Do you think I have a chance for MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which schools have you applied to ? Where is your state of residence ?
I apologize for the delayed response. My state of residence is PA, and I applied to all the PA schools except upenn, VCU, Virgina tech, Wayne state, Howard, meharry, University of New Mexico, tulane, new york medical college, albany, rosalind franklin, and TCU

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you from a URM community ? I ask because Howard and Meharry accept applicants mainly from the African American applicant pool.

Are you from a URM community ? I ask because Howard and Meharry accept applicants mainly from the African American applicant pool.
thank you for your reply! I'm not an URM, I did not know they favor URM. Do you think I should do a SMP due to my low gpa?

It is possible that you could receive interviews at some of your PA schools. Your low GPA is not competitive for most MD schools. I suggest applying broadly to many DO schools no later than November and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
UNECOM

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It is possible that you could receive interviews at some of your PA schools. Your low GPA is not competitive for most MD schools. I suggest applying broadly to many DO schools no later than November and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
UNECOM
Thank you for the list Faha! I will definitely look into these schools.