What are my chances for OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arianna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I feel like I can't find a lot of information about acceptance rates or statistics for OT students. I was just wondering what my chances are. I had a 3.6 GPA as an undergrad and a 4.0 in my Special Education M.A. and teaching credential program. I am still completing my pre-reqs, but I got a B in the only science class I have taken (Chemistry). That was six year ago, however. All of my other pre-reqs are 4.0s. I have significant volunteering experience (I technically have two full AmeriCorps terms of service). Working as a special education teacher is how I was introduced to occupational therapy. I think it is really important work and that I'd be great at it. What do schools typically look for? What are my chances? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I feel like I can't find a lot of information about acceptance rates or statistics for OT students. I was just wondering what my chances are. I had a 3.6 GPA as an undergrad and a 4.0 in my Special Education M.A. and teaching credential program. I am still completing my pre-reqs, but I got a B in the only science class I have taken (Chemistry). That was six year ago, however. All of my other pre-reqs are 4.0s. I have significant volunteering experience (I technically have two full AmeriCorps terms of service). Working as a special education teacher is how I was introduced to occupational therapy. I think it is really important work and that I'd be great at it. What do schools typically look for? What are my chances? Thanks for your help!

Hi
I am an OT student at SUNY downstate. First off I wouldnt worry about the B. I think you have an excellent chance just be sure you get some experience with an Occupational therapist and have some understanding of what OT is.Its important in the interview HINT! HINT! Good luck

Hi! Thanks. I actually have worked really closely with district occupational therapists. And since I teach students with disabilities in a really poor district, I often have to learn from the professionals and then provide OT and speech services to the students who do not "qualify'...though they all need help in these areas. Did you get into any other programs in addition to the one you are attending? Do you like it? What were your stats? Do all schools offer interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks. I actually have worked really closely with district occupational therapists. And since I teach students with disabilities in a really poor district, I often have to learn from the professionals and then provide OT and speech services to the students who do not "qualify'...though they all need help in these areas. I also plan to practice in the classroom setting. Did you get into any other programs in addition to the one you are attending? Do you like it? What were your stats? Do all schools offer interviews?

Hi! Thanks. I actually have worked really closely with district occupational therapists. And since I teach students with disabilities in a really poor district, I often have to learn from the professionals and then provide OT and speech services to the students who do not "qualify'...though they all need help in these areas. I also plan to practice in the classroom setting. Did you get into any other programs in addition to the one you are attending? Do you like it? What were your stats? Do all schools offer interviews?

We are in almost the exact same boat, except your undergrad gpa is higher than mine! I've been a sped teacher for about 10 years and am waiting to hear about acceptance to an OT program. I got a B in chem last semester and am now taking A&P. I have already met with one of the professors who is on the admissions committee and she STRONGLY encouraged me to apply because the LOVE having teachers apply (esp those with our backgrounds). OT is all about teaching your patients to do things! And like you said, you have been providing OT and speech svcs already to your students....I do the same. Your gpa is more than fine, and your teaching experience will make you an excellent candidate. Don't even worry about your chances; just go shadow OT's in a couple different settings (outpatient rehab, home health, inpatient hosp rehab, etc) so that they see you've done your homework and you know what OT is like in a setting other than a school. What part of the country would you be applying to schools in?

I think that is great advice! The more varied experience in a field the better, right? You are a fellow SPED teacher :) Do you think you'll miss teaching? I'm not sure where I will end up yet...the programs I've looked into are at the University of Washington, USC and Columbia...All of them sound amazing. What about you? Thanks for your reply!