what are my chances? how long do I wait for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DearDoc2Be

Reaction score
Hey,
So I am a senior and applied to med school for the 2023 cycle. (not taking any gap year)
I am currently at a prestigious uni majoring in engineering.
I didn't know I wanted to go into medicine, so my profile is more engineering less medical, but here goes. This is the application I applied with. I submitted my primary in June (end) and secondaries in august (end).
Here is the kickoff- I am an international student, so my chances are lower.
GPA: 3.66 (but this semester will get a 4.0 so it will bump it up)
MCAT: int attempt 507, second 511. I studied for less than 1 month and 2 month for these respectively. Dont know if should study for 3-4 months and reapply.
Profile- have 2 medical related patents granted
lots of research in research lab, projects, with team and so on. Long term projects that show results, commitment and teamwork.
my clinical experiences are mostly taking care of meager grandparents with problems, and my family during covid. I shadowed for only 20 hours while applying but for 60 more in the OR over the summer 22.
other skills- into a lot of sports, havnt played professionally at uni tho. Writing minor, have a few books published.
I got a couple of awards, grants and scholarships in research, writing and had my entire tuition paid by uni in undergrad (a merit and need based scholarship).
I am applying to both DO and MD schools. So far, I got into 2 DO schools, and rejected from a few MD but am still waiting on my prime choices like Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, etc.
I just dont know what the admissions committee like, how they think, will they want me, how being an international student is going to be different. I know my mcat is low. i have my reasons for it, could probably bump it if I retook it, but have already applied this cycle with this.
November is about to end and I still havnt heard back from the schools I really wanna go to. I am getting really anxious.I know I am in waiting for some clearly. but I also know some may have already rejected me and not informed me. how and when do I clear it out? when should I start thinking about my back up steps?
also, what are the chances of my tuition being paid by the school/donors?
sorry for the rant, I just havnt heard back anything all of October and half of nov now. let me know if you need more info from me, or have tips for coping with this anxiety.
Best
Doc2B

Members don't see this ad.

given that I'm only an applicant, take my advice with a grain of salt, but especially with being an international student, getting your foot into the door for your prime choices (Harvard, Stanford, etc.) will be pretty hard with your current GPA and MCAT. Also, you didn't list how many hours of clinical experience you have, and given your change in career choice, medical schools will really want to see how you know you want to pursue medicine. Your non-clinical ECs and research seem pretty impressive though. What kind of physician are you trying to be, and why the prime choices in particular?

Your MCAT scores make Harvard/Stanford class schools donations.

International students need to be superstars.

Your chances are best at the 16ish DO schools that accept internationals.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
given that I'm only an applicant, take my advice with a grain of salt, but especially with being an international student, getting your foot into the door for your prime choices (Harvard, Stanford, etc.) will be pretty hard with your current GPA and MCAT. Also, you didn't list how many hours of clinical experience you have, and given your change in career choice, medical schools will really want to see how you know you want to pursue medicine. Your non-clinical ECs and research seem pretty impressive though. What kind of physician are you trying to be, and why the prime choices in particular?
its hardto measure. I spent about 10 years taking care of a grandparent with Alzheimers and a few years when my other grandparent fell and became immobile. I mentioned how involved the care was, but dont really have worked as a scribe or such.
I like primary care, pediatrics, ob-gyn, and so on.

I don’t think taking care of sick family members is clinical experience since even non-premeds are expected to do that.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Please fill out a WAMC template and post in the premed subforum for better advice and insight. Give us the information you provided in your application, not any projections or planned activities. A school list would help.

Read "While You Are Waiting" (linked in my .signature).

Reactions: 1 users