What are my chances? I am so stressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loveformedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a Biochemistry major with a gpa of 3.97, but unfortunately I got a 26 on my MCAT (10bio,10pc,6VR). I don't do well on standardized testings, and my verbal score is just too low. other than that I have volunteering, and research experience. I applied to all texas med schools in late July, and I haven't heard anything back yet. What are my chances? I really don't want to have to take the MCAT again, I don't even know if I can ever do well on it...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you've considered it but you would be competitive for DO. I'm not sure how much of a problem the 6VR will pose so I'd wait for someone else to comment.

If you are worried about not being able to perform better on the MCAT and you'd rather not wait around for a year then I'd suggest looking at DO programs. Start filling out the AACOMAS and shadow a DO if you haven't already so they may write you a letter of rec.

I suspect that 6VR is going to hold you back. You'll really need to improve to in order to be considered. SOM want to be sure their med students do well in the standardized tests in medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you've considered it but you would be competitive for DO. I'm not sure how much of a problem the 6VR will pose so I'd wait for someone else to comment.

If you are worried about not being able to perform better on the MCAT and you'd rather not wait around for a year then I'd suggest looking at DO programs. Start filling out the AACOMAS and shadow a DO if you haven't already so they may write you a letter of rec.
I'm okay with waiting a year, but I'm not sure how much improvement I can make, but thanks for your advice

I suspect that 6VR is going to hold you back. You'll really need to improve to in order to be considered. SOM want to be sure their med students do well in the standardized tests in medical schools.
Yeah that makes sense. I guess I'm gonna have to work my butt off to do better on it next time