What are my chances? Late applicant, lower GPA, higher DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbudz

Reaction score
I'm not sure where the right place to ask this is, but I'm wondering if someone can give me some insight as to what my chances of being admitted might be.

25yo F
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.46
Graduated in 2021 at my state university with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, 3 minors (Molecular/Cell Bio, Physio/Neurobio, Psych) - side note, it took me 6 years to finish due to health issues along the way
Did a 1 year post-bacc at the same institution and earned all A's (it's calculated within my undergrad GPA, but wanted to note the upward trend)

DAT (Taken 10/07): AA 25, TS 25, Bio 30, GC 22, OC 24, RC 24, QR 23, PAT 17 (hoping the low PAT is not a huge red flag)

Shadowing: 150 hrs general, 50 hrs pediatric
Work Experience: 1200 hrs as an Orthodontic Assistant for 13 months (worked throughout my post-bacc) 200 hrs at a new practice currently working at, got my dental assisting license
Research ~1000 hrs
1) 200 hrs, 1 publication and conference with my freshman year lab, it was more of a broad study that looked at connections between integrating science with art in local high school students
2) 660 hrs working in a Neuro/Psych lab that investigated behavioral outcomes in rodents that had undergone disruption or injury to typical development in the brain
3): 220 hrs, assisted a Prosthodontic resident at my state's dental school in his Master's Theses investigating effects of various decontamination methods on conventional and 3D printed surgical guides used for implants

Volunteer ~ 300 hrs
1) 64 hours - Health Leaders Program at my state's hospital helping out medical students conduct research on social determinants of health. I directly interacted with patients and screened them via a questionnaire to assess for social determinants and provided resources such as diabetes education, smoking cessation hotlines for those who screened positive
2) 60 hrs high school tutoring of AP Chem, AP Physics, Math (led class discussions and review sessions, met with students 1 on 1)
3) 70 hrs - Animal shelter as a feline sanctuary volunteer providing comfort to cats
4) 120 hrs - First year mentor for freshman students at my university, led a class of 20 students alongside a professor, developed lesson plans, met with students 1 on 1

Letters of Recommendation:
My school has a pre-dental committee, so I was able to submit a lot of letters. I asked 6 people, and a 7th ended up submitting one from the Health Leaders Program. I know it's very excessive, but again I was in undergrad for 6 years and did a 1 year post-bacc, so 7 total years of trying to build relationships

1) General Dentist I shadowed who graduated from my state university in around 1990
2) Orthodontist I worked for from my previous job of 13 months
3) Director of the post-bacc program who is highly affiliated with my state's university, used to be involved with the medical school there in admissions
4) Prosthodontist I did research with when he was in residency, used to be involved in admissions of my state university dental school
5) Head of neuro/psych department that I did research with for 3 years
6) Anatomy/Phys professor, also took another class with him
7) Lead physician of volunteer program at the hospital

Other notes: I had a challenging first few years in undergrad as I have two autoimmune conditions and a heart condition. In around 2018 I had a very bad semester where I got a C in calculus II and a D- in gen chem II. I retook gen chem and organic chem, but I feel like my higher DAT score helps show admissions that I know the material now that my health is finally in check. I touched on my health in personal statement a little, but overall focused on my goals as a dentist and what made me fall in love with the field. I mention my love for makeup/artistry and how dentistry can improve patients' self confidence, my desire to eliminate barriers in health in my community, how oral health intertwines with overall health, patient education, and building lasting relationships with patients.

I applied to about 24 schools. I initially applied to most of the lower GPA schools, and a lot in New England as I'm from here. I added some competitive schools due to my (unexpectedly) high DAT score. I know it's later in the cycle so my chances are lowered, just wanted to see what people may think. Supplemental fees were submitted 09/12, but DAT scores aren't in yet. I added the unofficial scores into AADSAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
congrats on the awesome dat score
17 will not hurt you
fax/email your preliminary scores to the schools where you applied

what is your school list?

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this is, but I'm wondering if someone can give me some insight as to what my chances of being admitted might be.

25yo F
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.46
Graduated in 2021 at my state university with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, 3 minors (Molecular/Cell Bio, Physio/Neurobio, Psych) - side note, it took me 6 years to finish due to health issues along the way
Did a 1 year post-bacc at the same institution and earned all A's (it's calculated within my undergrad GPA, but wanted to note the upward trend)

DAT (Taken 10/07): AA 25, TS 25, Bio 30, GC 22, OC 24, RC 24, QR 23, PAT 17 (hoping the low PAT is not a huge red flag)

Shadowing: 150 hrs general, 50 hrs pediatric
Work Experience: 1200 hrs as an Orthodontic Assistant for 13 months (worked throughout my post-bacc) 200 hrs at a new practice currently working at, got my dental assisting license
Research ~1000 hrs
1) 4-5 months/200 hrs, 1 publication and conference with my freshman year lab, it was more of a broad study that looked at connections between integrating science with art in local high school students
2) 3 years/660 hrs working in a Neuro/Psych lab that investigated behavioral outcomes in rodents that had undergone disruption or injury to typical development in the brain
3): 8 months/220 hrs, assisted a Prosthodontic resident at my state's dental school in his Master's Theses investigating effects of various decontamination methods on conventional and 3D printed surgical guides used for implants

Volunteer ~ 300 hrs
1) 4 weeks, 64 hours - Health Leaders Program at my state's hospital helping out medical students conduct research on social determinants of health. I directly interacted with patients and screened them via a questionnaire to assess for social determinants and provided resources such as diabetes education, smoking cessation hotlines for those who screened positive
2) 1.5 years/60 hrs high school tutoring of AP Chem, AP Physics, Math (led class discussions and review sessions, met with students 1 on 1)
3) 1 year/70 hrs - Animal shelter as a feline sanctuary volunteer providing comfort to cats
4) 4 months/120 hrs - First year mentor for freshman students at my university, led a class of 20 students alongside a professor, developed lesson plans, met with students 1 on 1

Letters of Recommendation:
My school has a pre-dental committee, so I was able to submit a lot of letters. I asked 6 people, and a 7th ended up submitting one from the Health Leaders Program. I know it's very excessive, but again I was in undergrad for 6 years and did a 1 year post-bacc, so 7 total years of trying to build relationships

1) General Dentist I shadowed who graduated from my state university in around 1990
2) Orthodontist I worked for from my previous job of 13 months
3) Director of the post-bacc program who is highly affiliated with my state's university, used to be involved with the medical school there in admissions
4) Prosthodontist I did research with when he was in residency, used to be involved in admissions of my state university dental school
5) Head of neuro/psych department that I did research with for 3 years
6) Anatomy/Phys professor, also took another class with him
7) Lead physician of volunteer program at the hospital

Other notes: I had a challenging first few years in undergrad as I have two autoimmune conditions and a heart condition. In around 2018 I had a very bad semester where I got a C in calculus II and a D- in gen chem II. I retook gen chem and organic chem, but I feel like my higher DAT score helps show admissions that I know the material now that my health is finally in check. I touched on my health in personal statement a little, but overall focused on my goals as a dentist and what made me fall in love with the field. I mention my love for makeup/artistry and how dentistry can improve patients' self confidence, my desire to eliminate barriers in health in my community, how oral health intertwines with overall health, patient education, and building lasting relationships with patients.

I applied to about 24 schools. I initially applied to most of the lower GPA schools, and a lot in New England as I'm from here. I added some competitive schools due to my (unexpectedly) high DAT score. I know it's later in the cycle so my chances are lowered, just wanted to see what people may think. Supplemental fees were submitted 09/12, but DAT scores aren't in yet. I added the unofficial scores into AADSAS.

Reactions: 1 user