What are my chances long history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pereird31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a 26 yr old URM female. I graduated from high school in 2006 and I started class at a private college in my home state. Basically during my first two years of college i sucked at school grades were D's, F's and i skipped around between different colleges. After that I basically decided to get my life together. I left home moved to WY with my bf and attended a cc college. I took prereq for nursing school got in and I graduated in 2015 with my ADN with a 3.6 gpa in my nursing degree I will be graduating in May 2016 with my BSN. Question because of my stupidity in my early teenage years in college with getting all D's and F's will i stand a chance at applying anywhere? Do i have to submit transcripts from these colleges? I am signed up for biochem and molecular bio this summer and also plan on taking genetics in the fall. I have not taking a lot of the science prereqs for most schools such as physics and organic chem which i will plan to knock out and receive A's. I am also planning on applying in the 2017 year for the 2018 admission. Any suggestions or advice? Or are my dreams of becoming a doctor done?

Members don't see this ad.

All transcripts must be submitted.
A spotless and sustained period of academic excellence and a strong MCAT score will go a long way toward convincing us that you are a different student now. Take all the the time needed to do this before applying. 2017 is not a good target. Which community do you represent?

Reactions: 1 users
You have to submit all transcripts from every college you have ever attended. What is your total undergrad GPA, including the D's and F's?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to submit all transcripts from every college you have ever attended. What is your total undergrad GPA, including the D's and F's?
my cum undergrad is 3.2 and my science from the science courses i have taken is a 3.5

my cum undergrad is 3.2 and my science from the science courses i have taken is a 3.5

I'm no expert, but I think you definitely still have a chance. However, it sounds like you're planning to take biochem, ochem, and physics all within a year, all the while studying for the MCAT. To me, that does not sound like a feasible plan. You should probably apply in 2018 at the earliest.

and my
All transcripts must be submitted.
A spotless and sustained period of academic excellence and a strong MCAT score will go a long way toward convincing us that you are a different student now. Take all the the time needed to do this before applying. 2017 is not a good target. Which community do you represent?
I am a female/puertorican/african american. So would you advised that I apply in 2018 for the 2019 year? I am 26 turning 27 in may and does age play a factor? i just don't want to be 50 years old coming out of my residency having major debt. My goal was to try and enter med school by the time i am 30.

and my

I am a female/puertorican/african american. So would you advised that I apply in 2018 for the 2019 year? I am 26 turning 27 in may and does age play a factor? i just don't want to be 50 years old coming out of my residency having major debt. My goal was to try and enter med school by the time i am 30.
Your age is not remotely a factor to us. The strength of a single application is all that matters.

If that includes everything post HS then you're not in such bad shape --

But do plan for the long game. All your moving around and career-hopping tends to suggest that your dreams of becoming a physician may be similarly short-lived.

I'd suggest you actually work as a nurse for a few years, save some money, and stagger your classwork out so you can be sure of nailing those A's in tough upper-level sciences and having sufficient time to prep for a top-shelf MCAT. Your "Why I want to become a doctor" statement will benefit from the extra time and life experience --

Your age is not remotely a factor to us. The strength of a single application is all that matters.
Thanks for the advice. So would you say i should look at applying in 2018 for the 2019 school year? This gives me 2 years of getting my stuff together. What school do you represent if i may ask?

Thanks for the advice. So would you say i should look at applying in 2018 for the 2019 school year? This gives me 2 years of getting my stuff together. What school do you represent if i may ask?
I'm using the "royal" plural!

I'm using the royal plural.
What about working and staggering out classes as others suggest? or putting my application out a few years instead of applying next year?

Anonymity is a serious deal, so that's a pretty much a forbidden question to ask
Oh I apologize!!! I am newer to this forum. I did not realize this. Thank you for telling me. I would never violate rule intentionally.

What about working and staggering out classes as others suggest? or putting my application out a few years instead of applying next year?
Getting A's in pre-req's and upper div science classes is of greatest importance (and a correspondingly strong MCAT), not the amount of time taken to get there.

Getting A's in pre-req's and upper div science classes is of greatest importance (and a correspondingly strong MCAT), not the amount of time taken to get there.
Thanks! and sorry about the previous question. I did not mean to violate rules.

btw, I'm 51. don't wait to be me; but take your time and prove that you can do the coursework. Nursing courses do not = premed courses except for g-chem.