What are my chances MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medseeker2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm scared to apply because i'm terrified of rejection:( So let me know my chances please!!! I'm also 20 right now so i don't know if that's too young to apply? but I will be 21 by the time i start applying!!! Also, If I graduate in December, does that have a negative effect? Should I just take an extra semester of upper level courses or take the semester off and do volunteering?

Status (Junior) -

MCAT - 31
3.7 cGPA
3.6 sGPA

ECs -
Undergraduate biology TA
Undergraduate research (not published yet!!)
300 shadowing hours
2 weeks spent in Jamaica providing clinical aid
Treasurer of the National Society of Leadership and Success
(Also I'm Egyptian, so I don't know if that would consider me a minority or give me a little boost maybe? lol anything helps.)

What are the chances of getting into a MD program? What can I do to improve?

Any help would is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-28_17-52-24.png
    upload_2015-3-28_17-52-24.png
    95 bytes · Views: 35
Last edited:
State?
Domestic volunteerism?
Clinical experience?
Sorry! I have 100 hours at my local hospital right now, but i'm still currently volunteering so that'll go up! I'm in florida, and i'm currently in the "standardized patient program" at my university where I am given a script and allow medical students to practice on me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help! I just edited my originally question, could you look at it and help me answer the others?

As you can see from AAMC stats, your chances of MD acceptance are around 70%.
These historic norms tend to inflate odds a bit, though.
Early, well written secondaries to enough well chosen schools will push you closer to the upper limits of those odds.

Adding DO schools will dramatically improve them.

DO is my back up, but i would really really prefer MD. Do you recommend me getting a masters first? maybe biomed?

DO is my back up, but i would really really prefer MD. Do you recommend me getting a masters first? maybe biomed?
A Master's degree will have little effect on your MD application.
Early well-written secondaries and strong interviews will have a much more powerful effect on your chances.

Thank you for your help!! anything I can do to improve? Sorry, I'm a little paranoid because I really want to get in!

Thank you for your help!! anything I can do to improve? Sorry, I'm a little paranoid because I really want to get in!
Everything you do to expand your understanding of the human condition will improve you as an applicant and a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
So far your application is good but it is pretty average. Average GPA, MCAT, and ECs. I do think you have a good chance at an MD acceptance though. Do something unique this semester before you apply if you can. Look at programs at your school or just in general. What are your plans for your year off? Have a good plan, something that is appealing to medical schools like being an EMT or something.

I'm doing an EKG certification this summer, but I just don't have the time to go through EMT training:(

I'm doing an EKG certification this summer, but I just don't have the time to go through EMT training:(
That's great! Anything else for the gap year? I think you will be good and get into an MD school!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't planning on taking a gap year. If I end up finishing in December instead of spring, ill probably to the EMT training! I don't want to just waste a few months doing nothing but definitely want to have a little break

would it be pointless to do the emt training if I get in? i think it would be a good experience, but I don't want to waste $1500

I wasn't planning on taking a gap year. If I end up finishing in December instead of spring, ill probably to the EMT training! I don't want to just waste a few months doing nothing but definitely want to have a little break
Oh sorry, I misread your question. I thought you graduated this past December! Come back with a list and we can help you out!

EMT was just the first thing that came to mind!!! You can do many other things! I always wanted to do EMT and was going to do that if I had to take a gap year.

I definitely want to stand out and be unique, so i'll see what other certifications I can get! Honestly, I'll go to any school that'll take me lol, but I would really like to stay in or around florida to be near my family, but i am not opposed to traveling if need be.

FAU
FIU
FSU
UF
UM
USF
UCF
Baylor
Albany
Stony Brook
Anything lol

Yeah you have a good chance at some of those florida schools which is great there is so many. Start looking at some OOS schools that you have a good chance with as a back up. Look into Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Rosy Frank, Western Mich, East and West Virginia, VCOMM, etc. Schools of that nature.

Reactions: 1 user
How should I determine what school would be a best fit for me? For example, I've heard a lot of negative things about the FIU program, (from two students who attended), but at the same time I don't want to forget about it because you know the saying, " beggars can't be choosers". How did you come up with those schools?

How should I determine what school would be a best fit for me? For example, I've heard a lot of negative things about the FIU program, (from two students who attended), but at the same time I don't want to forget about it because you know the saying, " beggars can't be choosers". How did you come up with those schools?
Well you should apply and if you get an interview then you can decide for yourself and talk to other students while you are there! Those schools are just schools with modest numbers that accept a high % of OOS applicants! You can look into them and decide if you like them. There are plenty more to look into but that should get you started.

I think you should take out baylor. Maybe if u were a TX resident you might get in but if ur OOS I believe the stats need to be higher then what you have.