This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

type42tardis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

This is my first time posting on SDN. So I apologize in advance if I make a mistake. I think this is the right forum to post in.

Anyway, on to the main point.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO APPLY......just kidding :)

But seriously, I am currently finishing up my 2nd semester of my junior year of undergrad, and I am resident of florida. I am planning on applying to florida schools (USF, UF, UCF, UM, Nova). However, that is only 5 school, and I have no idea where else to apply out of state.

I am planing to apply to medical school this cycle, and will be submitting in June of 2017.

My stats:

• Degrees
    • Major in Biomedical Sciences
    • Minor in Biomedical Physics
    • Minor in General Business
  • MCAT: 511
  • GPA
    • Science: 3.81
    • Overall: 3.88
  • Volunteering Hrs: 115 hrs
  • Shadowing hrs: about 100 hrs
  • Extracurriculars:
    • Internationally certified, 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo.
      • I would train for 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week. Placed 1st place in multiple local tournaments, but nothing national level.
    • Work
      • I have been working 20-25 hrs a week throughout my time in college.
      • I have worked at the same job for the entire duration of my undergraduate studies, and have earned the rank of supervisor
    • Research
      • I have been working in the Cardiology research department at the VA hospital near the university campus. This is the same hospital where I have 115 volunteer hours.
      • I was only able to start performing research this semester due too the unexpected time it took for my application to be processed.
      • About 50 hrs of research
    • Risk Manager for Taekwondo club - 3 semesters
      • Two of my close friends and I started a taekwondo club at my university. The goal was to create an environment where people could come and train so that they may stay sharp. We also wanted to provide a place where people who wanted to try taekwondo for the first time could get their toes wet.
      • As the Risk manager Duties include:
        • Check all equipment, to ensure that it is safe to use.
        • Provide CPR/First aid when necessary.
        • Inform all club members of proper safety and emergency procedures.
  • Letters of recommendation
    • Sciences:
      • 1 from my physics 2 professor
      • 1 from my freshmen chemistry professor
    • Non- Sciences
      • 1 from my professional writing professor
    • Doctors
      • 1 from the doctor in charge of the cardiology research department.
      • 1 from the head of the cardiology department at the VA hospital I research and volunteer at.
    • Character
      • 1 from my Taekwondo instructor, who has known me for 7+ years.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated. Again thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats look pretty good! Looks like you want to stay in Florida and you seem like you will have a good chance of getting into some of those schools. However, I think you're in the wrong place asking this question. Picking a medical school is a long, hard choice. It should be your own choice. Have your own needs and wants in a school and when you find one which may satisfy your needs, research it and apply.

To figure out a good school for you, I would take these factors into account:
- Cost (Tuition, Living costs, etc.)
- Location (Crime, Weather, etc.)
- Your chance of getting in (Average MCAT, Average GPA, Acceptance rate, etc.)
- How you like the program and the school

Although I'm a dental student, the process of applying is very similar. I wish you luck and hope this helps!:)

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to ALL your Florida schools including Florida Atlantic, Florida International and Florida State. For OOS you could try:
Tulane
GW
Georgetown
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to ALL your Florida schools including Florida Atlantic, Florida International and Florida State. For OOS you could try:
Tulane
GW
Georgetown
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Your stats look pretty good! Looks like you want to stay in Florida and you seem like you will have a good chance of getting into some of those schools. However, I think you're in the wrong place asking this question. Picking a medical school is a long, hard choice. It should be your own choice. Have your own needs and wants in a school and when you find one which may satisfy your needs, research it and apply.

To figure out a good school for you, I would take these factors into account:
- Cost (Tuition, Living costs, etc.)
- Location (Crime, Weather, etc.)
- Your chance of getting in (Average MCAT, Average GPA, Acceptance rate, etc.)
- How you like the program and the school

Although I'm a dental student, the process of applying is very similar. I wish you luck and hope this helps!:)

-Fyz

Thank you for the responses.

I suggest:

ALL FL schools
U VM
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Loyola
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons