What are my chances of getting into medschool with bad grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2 D one in chem I and 1 in honors american literature 1 C in English I GPA 3.1 40 credits so far

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Dont pick a career just because it's what your dad wants. You are 21 -- he's not going to "kill you" for getting bad grades - you are an adult. Own it.
2. Your GPA is salvageable. With some hard work and retakes you can get it up to passable. But no, you don't want to apply to med school before you fix things.
3. Your writing is atrocious -- get someone else to read your essays when you ultimately do apply,
4. Taking a year off and being 21 isn't relevant, the average age of all med schools is older than this and many people don't start med school right out of college these days. this isn't a race.
5 there's a "what are my chances thread" that might be more suitable for what are my chances posts.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree 100%. You have a lot of deficits to fix. Start by going to your school's learning center and get help for your learning style, writing and with test taking.
It won't hurt to take some time off, work, earn some money, and then go back to school.

Always have a backup plan.

Once you find the groove, retake all F/D/C science coursework. You might want to consider a post-bac, or a SMP.

Are you ESL? If so, your verbal and literacy skills need special attention.

1. Dont pick a career just because it's what your dad wants. You are 21 -- he's not going to "kill you" for getting bad grades - you are an adult. Own it.
2. Your GPA is salvageable. With some hard work and retakes you can get it up to passable. But no, you don't want to apply to med school before you fix things.
3. Your writing is atrocious -- get someone else to read your essays when you ultimately do apply,
4. Taking a year off and being 21 isn't relevant, the average age of all med schools is older than this and many people don't start med school right out of college these days. this isn't a race.
5 there's a "what are my chances thread" that might be more suitable for what are my chances posts.

Reactions: 1 user