What are my chances of getting into Optometry School?

jackieengo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was just wondering what your opinion was about my chances of getting into optometry school.

I'm an English major. My overall GPA was 3.55, but my science GPA is 3.12 I believe. I did have to retake a couple of classes. I had a really tough time with Organic Chemistry. I had to take it three times. The first time I got a C-, the second time I got D+, and I finally got a B the third time around. I have an F for Intro to Microbiology because I once I found out that it was the wrong Micro course, it was too late for me to drop out and get a withdrawal. Around the time I was taking Human Anatomy and General Microbiology, I was hanging around the wrong group of friends and ended up with a D and C-. I did retake both classes and made Bs in both.

I've taken the OAT twice. The first time my TS was 260 and my AA was 290. I just took it a second time this past Tuesday (11/25) and my TS was 280 and my AA was 300. I made 300+ on all of my sciences except for Physics. My score was for that was 250, dropping my average down a lot.

I've held a constant job most of my undergraduate years. In addition to that, I have racked up 110 hours of shadowing and am still shadowing consistently at two local offices. I have about 50+ volunteer hours.

I submitted my application to ICO, UMSL, and MCPHS on November 11. I'm really nervous because this is my second time applying to optometry schools. I took the ADA's OAT Practice Exam and did wonderful on that! My TS was 340 so I was extremely disappointed in my actual scores. I do plan on retaking the OAT before MCPHS' deadline of May, but I'm afraid it's too late to retake the OAT in time for ICO and UMSL's deadline.

I was just wanting some feedback on what you guys thought my chances of getting in were. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, have you heard back from any schools yet?

I took organic chem 3 times. I got an F,D,C. But then I got a C in Organic 2. I went to a science intensive undergrad which is notoriously known for having a ridiculous organic chemistry course. I got a 340 on my organic chem section on the OAT. My overall oat was 310 and science was 300. My GPa was 3.4 and science GPa was 3.0. I think if you retook your microbiology course and earn a high score you will be fine. Schools can over look poor exam scores and poor class scores. In interviews explain to them what went wrong. I was accepted into schools and not once was I questioned about Orgo or my grades. I think you should have a shot somewhere.

I was told in my interview that the national average for Physics is 280 so don't sweat it :)

Hey, have you heard back from any schools yet?

I took organic chem 3 times. I got an F,D,C. But then I got a C in Organic 2. I went to a science intensive undergrad which is notoriously known for having a ridiculous organic chemistry course. I got a 340 on my organic chem section on the OAT. My overall oat was 310 and science was 300. My GPa was 3.4 and science GPa was 3.0. I think if you retook your microbiology course and earn a high score you will be fine. Schools can over look poor exam scores and poor class scores. In interviews explain to them what went wrong. I was accepted into schools and not once was I questioned about Orgo or my grades. I think you should have a shot somewhere.

I was told in my interview that the national average for Physics is 280 so don't sweat it :)

Not yet! My third third LOR was just sent in the other day so it'll probably be awhile. Fingers crossed that I do. Thanks for the reply I was pretty terrified after my second OAT attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
Not yet! My third third LOR was just sent in the other day so it'll probably be awhile. Fingers crossed that I do. Thanks for the reply I was pretty terrified after my second OAT attempt.

No problem ! Just send your app in to schools that accept them with parts missing. I know suny, pco do for example

Members don't see this ad :)
what are my chances:

science gpa 3.16ish
AA 300
TS 300

I'm aiming for IAUPR or MCPHS....any advice? feedback?

Lol you realized you were in the wrong class, it was too late to drop, so your response is to stop going? Seriously?

Last edited: