What are my chances of getting into PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theptgirl24

Reaction score
Hi guys, So I'm kind of nervous about applying to DPT school but the time has finally arrived for me to start applying in July. Here is a background of me

Degree: AA in Pre-Physical Therapy, and B.S of Recreational Therapy and Rehabilitation Science
GPA Undergrad: 3.56
Prereq GPA: About 3.3
Inpatient Observation Hours: 2,000 (includes Wound care, MBS & FEES test with speech therapy, splints with OT)
Outpatient: 1,000 ( I've shadowed at three clinics and I currently work at one as a tech so more is to come)
I have a few letters of recommendation.

After I graduated with my bachelors I had a few more pre reqs to take so I took them at a community college in my city. I got a C in biology my Summer semester of 2021 and a C in Anatomy and Physiology Fall 2020. I will be retaking them in the fall because I just got done taking Chem 2 this spring semester and I need a break from school right now. I don't plan on taking GRE but I may have to so I'm in the process of studying for it now.

Do you think I have a clean shot? I feel like I need more. I plan on applying to The University of Miami, Emory University, University of Alabama, and maybe NOVA and the University of St. Augustine.

Members don't see this ad.

With all due respect, in my opinion, you need to keep taking classes instead of taking a break. Yes, Chem II is difficult, I struggled in that class, but classes in PT school are going to be harder without having an option to take a break.

Given your numbers, you should be able to get into the schools you listed but they're very expensive. So it may be worth to expand the schools you plan on applying to and include those that require the GRE so you can save yourself money in the long term.

Also, University of Alabama(assuming you're talking about Tuscaloosa) does not have a PT school. UAB and USA do.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice. Yes I will be taking the GRE and studying so I can expand my options. Any other good school options?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't just consider the challenge of getting into PT school. With posts like these I hope you and similar applicants consider the challenge of STAYING in PT school once accepted. Undergrad is one thing but if you were in my program and had two C's you'd be down to your last strike, one more C+ or lower would be cause for automatic dismissal. I don't mean to add to any anxiety but it's just the nature of these programs and no one told me this info before I enrolled.

Thank you for the advice. Yes I will be taking the GRE and studying so I can expand my options. Any other good school options?
That’s gonna be up to you to find a good local instate public school, preferably since they require less tuition.

You can find the APTA school list ‘database’ to narrow down some choices. The things I looked for were, in no certain rank:
Location, price, first time pass rate and graduation rate, rent and cost of living from surrounding area, class size, average accepted GPA, instate vs out of state accepted, demographics, etc.

Don't just consider the challenge of getting into PT school. With posts like these I hope you and similar applicants consider the challenge of STAYING in PT school once accepted. Undergrad is one thing but if you were in my program and had two C's you'd be down to your last strike, one more C+ or lower would be cause for automatic dismissal. I don't mean to add to any anxiety but it's just the nature of these programs and no one told me this info before I enrolled.
No I absolutely get it. I worked hard for 5 years undergrad and I am willing to put in the work which is why I am retaking those classes. I had a family member pass away during those times but I still passed the class with a C. I didn't give up, I gave it all I had. I do plan on STAYING in the program that's the whole plan :) I'm ready for the challenges.

That’s gonna be up to you to find a good local instate public school, preferably since they require less tuition.

You can find the APTA school list ‘database’ to narrow down some choices. The things I looked for were, in no certain rank:
Location, price, first time pass rate and graduation rate, rent and cost of living from surrounding area, class size, average accepted GPA, instate vs out of state accepted, demographics, etc.
Awesome! Thank you for your help :)

Can I ask, why these schools?
Well Emory, and UM and UAB doesn't require GRE. I really am trying to avoid taking that exam if possible. NOVA and St Augustine does require GRE but the deadline for those schools are pretty late in the year so I have time to study for the GRE. Also UM, Emory and UAB all have great passing and graduation rates. So does NOVA and USA.