MD & DO What are my Chances? Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainchimezoid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to see if I can get some potential advice and recommendations in terms of my stats and schools that I want to apply to. So here are some of my stats

1. cGPA: 3.25 sGPA: 3.05

2. MCAT score: 497 (planning on taking it again in September)

3. State of Residence: Texas Resident

4. Ethnicity: Black/African American

5. Undergraduate: 4th year Private University Student majoring in Biochemistry graduating this summer

6. Clinical Experience: 40 hours at a local hospital. Would be more but different circumstances prevented me from getting more. Currently applying to volunteer at a hospital near my university in the fall.

7. Research Experience: None. Not a big fan of research

8. Shadowing Experience: 20 hours with a Pediatrician, 20 hours with an Orthopedic Surgeon, 10 hours with a Dentist. Will try to get more shadowing experience in the following fall semester

9. Non-clinical Volunteering: 200 hours at an animal shelter, 30 hours at a retirement home, Did yearly community service sponsored by the university, also have volunteer hours because of my organizations.

10. Extracurricular Activities: Marching Band (I was President, Secretary/Treasurer, Sophomore Class Representative, Section and Squad Leader during my time), Basketball pep band (where I played an instrument and assisted the director through the use of headset, communicating with media sponsors), Medical Service Organization, First Aid Service Team, African Student Organization

11. Honors/Awards: Deans Gold Scholar, Numerous awards for the amount of service hours from Medical Service Organization

Here are a list of schools that I was thinking about applying to:

1. Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

2. University of the Incarnate World

3. Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

4. Rocky Vista College of Osteopathic Medicine

5. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

6. Western University of Health Science

7. Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences

8. Howard College of Medicine

9. PCOM- Georgia

10. Texas A&M College of Medicine

11. Texas Tech College of Medicine

12. UT Health San Antonio

13. McGovern Medical School

14. Paul L Foster School of Medicine

I am planning on applying this cycle. I want to see if I have a chance based off of what I have so far. Any advice is very appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You would be better off to apply next June. You should accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering. A MCAT of 505 or higher would also greatly increase your chances for a MD acceptance. If you had a MCAT of 500 you would be competitive for the majority of DO schools.

Thank you for the advice.

If I did decide to apply this cycle, are the schools that I picked good? I’ve been taking practice exams and I’ve been getting between 500-504. I am planning on taking it September 18. I also will volunteer and work as a medical scribe. Is it still possible to apply this cycle? @Goro @Faha @anybodywhocanhelp

Thank you for the advice.

If I did decide to apply this cycle, are the schools that I picked good? I’ve been taking practice exams and I’ve been getting between 500-504. I am planning on taking it September 18. I also will volunteer and work as a medical scribe. Is it still possible to apply this cycle? @Goro @Faha @anybodywhocanhelp
Add all HBCs