What are my chances? Post-BAC 2.2GPA 43MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookingforhope14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a stressful situation, I had a 3.1 GPA from penn state university, but I took time off from school and returned and I forgot how to be a student, and when I graduated last fall my GPA sunk to a 2.2 and I took my MCAT and got a 17. However I recently retook my MCAT, and learned how to study right and got a 43. I am not looking to get into medical school right away even with a 43 MCAT, but would any post-bac program take me even though I have a 2.2 GPA, because most require a minimum 2.5 or is that just an estimate of the minimum. Any pathway to medicine programs that would take me, I just need a chance to prove my grades. Now that I know how to study efficiently and study right.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea, but I just want to say, congrats on the MCAT score lol. I'm wondering if you can still apply MD considering how jaw dropping the MCAT score is.

You can always do a DIY post-bac.
Retake all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools.

So I am in a stressful situation, I had a 3.1 GPA from penn state university, but I took time off from school and returned and I forgot how to be a student, and when I graduated last fall my GPA sunk to a 2.2 and I took my MCAT and got a 17. However I recently retook my MCAT, and learned how to study right and got a 43. I am not looking to get into medical school right away even with a 43 MCAT, but would any post-bac program take me even though I have a 2.2 GPA, because most require a minimum 2.5 or is that just an estimate of the minimum. Any pathway to medicine programs that would take me, I just need a chance to prove my grades. Now that I know how to study efficiently and study right.

Members don't see this ad :)
This degree of discordance is more than 2 SD's from the norm.
If you plan to apply without grade rehab, your explanation will need to figure prominently in your narrative.
when you say apply you mean apply directly to medical school or apply to a post-bac program, my question is would a post bac program take me?

when you say apply you mean apply directly to medical school or apply to a post-bac program, my question is would a post bac program take me?
I was referring to a medical school application.
You are well below the gpa floor for post bac programs. You may have greater success by contacting them directly with your situation to see if any will waive their cut-offs, given your MCAT result.

lol no. Although I would love that "43" on the MCAT

So does anyone know of any post-bac direct entry to med school that would take me or seriously consider me?

On the off-chance that you're real and are not trolling, a 43 MCAT with a really low GPA (either 3.1 or 2.2) says "Brilliant but lazy -- Maybe beyond lazy and into dysfunctional"

You need to look much deeper into the reasons for your academic failure -- well beyond "forgot how to be a student". Presumably you could 'relearn' that within a few days. You need to show convincingly that whatever it was that tanked your post-bac won't tank you again in medical school. It would take a few years' of top grades or other visible evidence of successful hard work to convince me you were a good risk.

Reactions: 1 users
On the off-chance that you're real and are not trolling, a 43 MCAT with a really low GPA (either 3.1 or 2.2) says "Brilliant but lazy -- Maybe beyond lazy and into dysfunctional"

You need to look much deeper into the reasons for your academic failure -- well beyond "forgot how to be a student". Presumably you could 'relearn' that within a few days. You need to show convincingly that whatever it was that tanked your post-bac won't tank you again in medical school. It would take a few years' of top grades or other visible evidence of successful hard work to convince me you were a good risk.

And it's sad to say but worth noting that your amazing MCAT score will more than likely be expired by the time you get your GPA into a "med school worthy" range with your post-bac.

Reactions: 1 user
Starts off with 3.1 GPA falls to 2.2 GPA= academic probation for most of undergrad. In other words, how the F did OP graduate? And to go up 26 points on an MCAT retake, while going full chernobyl in class? C'mon, you believe that then I guess Sandusky was innocent too huh (penn state reference...cuz I can)?

Starts off with 3.1 GPA falls to 2.2 GPA= academic probation for most of undergrad. In other words, how the F did OP graduate? And to go up 26 points on an MCAT retake, while going full chernobyl in class? C'mon, you believe that then I guess Sandusky was innocent too huh (penn state reference...cuz I can)?

Listen I am 27 years old I took 5 YEARS off from school and came back and finished my bachelors, and all I had left to take was advanced science courses, so not only did I have to take advanced science courses like mammalian physiology, I had to relearn everything I forgot in basic science courses. I finished all my premed prereqs way back in 2007 came back in 2012. graduated in 2013 and just got back my new MCAT score, 7 months of MCAT studying. Original MCAT score Physical sciences 7, Biological 7, and verbal 3(my average practice verbal was a 10 so iwas upset)! ( I hadn't slept for 48 hours before the exam because I was cramming, maybe 2 hours of sleep in the 48 hours of being awake, New MCAT score Physical sciences 15, Biological science 15, and Verbal 13 . So please be helpful in this forum instead of wasting your time coming up with excuses with why you can't comprehend the fact that I am in a unique situation. Also if you knew how to do basic math you could entertain the possibility that I had finished 3 years of school with a 3.1 and had 1 year of classes to take, which is what happened and how I brought down my GPA, you don't get academic probation unless your overall GPA falls below a 2.0.

Last edited:

So just to let everyone know I did take 5 years off from school and came back and finished, so yeah I forgot everything including how to be a student and understand that it takes time to relearn all the old material as well. and "Presumably you could 'relearn' that within a few days." that comment is frustrating because I am not talking about taking a summer off from school or a lag year, this is 5 years, I just didn't know whether or not I wanted to get into a science related field, never mind be a doctor, so I was working full time trying different fields. Anyway it has NOTHING to do with brilliant but lazy, its learning how to study right instead of just passively studying hoping to absorb information.

Listen I am 27 years old I took 5 YEARS off from school and came back and finished my bachelors, and all I had left to take was advanced science courses, so not only did I have to take advanced science courses like mammalian physiology, I had to relearn everything I forgot in basic science courses.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise that you would have forgotten much of your basic science in 5 years off. Jumping right into upper level science classes was an error in judgement.

( I hadn't slept for 48 hours before the exam because I was cramming, maybe 2 hours of sleep in the 48 hours of being awake,

Taking a high-stakes test like the MCAT on 2 hours of sleep because you were cramming? Looks like another serious error in judgement.

Stop and think OP. Make a plan that covers the next several steps -- not just one move ahead.