This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all!
Up until recently (a couple months ago) I was a pre-pharmacy student, gearing up to take the PCAT this summer. While I was studying I realized I liked pharmacy, but wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I started looking into other health careers, got a job shadow with a podiatrist, and now I'm all in on podiatry :) I've done a fair amount of research on podiatry and schools and such but I'm still relatively new so bear with me if I ask any uninformed or misguided questions.

I was curious what my chances of admission are, and if there's anything you'd suggest I work on to strengthen my app. I should add, I'm a second semester sophomore working towards a bio/biochem double major, and my GPA's and MCAT score are conjectures based on my current study habits and grades (3.84 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 the past two semesters). The shadowing and volunteer hours are also what I anticipate by the time I apply for pod school. I understand that it's hard to truly tell if I'll get in based on guesses instead of concrete info, but the info I'm giving is how I see myself looking on my future app, and I'd like to know if my future self has a shot at getting in or even scholarships, and what I can do in the here-and-now to strengthen my future app.

1. Schools Applying To: DMU, Scholl (possibly others?)
2. cGPA:3.9/sGPA:3.7
3. MCAT: 26-30
4. Podiatry Experience: ~30 hours shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: Job shadowed dentist, primary care physician, and 3 different pharmacists. Worked as a pharmacy technician in a hospital for 3 yrs. (occasional status)
6. Volunteering: Volunteered in a hospital doing various tasks (~150 hrs.), volunteer tutor for middle school children (~50 hrs.), raised money for various health related charities, and participated in runs/walks for the charities.
7. Other Notable Activities: Conducted undergrad research with my botany professor involving the effectiveness of certain pesticides and their effect on crops, also co-founder and president of my campus's Running Club.

So my questions would be...
1. Is my future app competitive for most of the pod schools?
2. Does my app look like a candidate for scholarships?
3. (Probably my biggest question) What would you suggest I work on or add to strengthen the app I have planned?

Thank you all in advance!

You will get into the school of your choosing. You will be offered scholarships from the schools that have them available. You are a very strong candidate and just keep up the good work.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Schools you are applying to: DMU, Scholl, CSPM, NYCPM, Western
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.67/3.63
3. MCAT Score: 20 (7/4/9)
4. Podiatry Experience: ~40 hours of shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Worked as an CNA
6. Volunteering: ~100 community work

My top choice is DMU. Do you guys think a 4 in the verbal section will hinder me? If I retake the MCAT in late March, will I still have a chance for this cycle?

Thanks in advance!

You can certainly apply. Your chances at DMU are SLIM. If you really want to know your chances I would call the schools.

1. Schools you are applying to: Kent
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.20/2.98
3. MCAT Score: scheduled for 4/5/14
4. Podiatry Experience: ~15 hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): ~60 hours shadowing M.D./D.O.
6. Volunteering: ~120 hours

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Schools you are applying to: Kent
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.20/2.98
3. MCAT Score: scheduled for 4/5/14
4. Podiatry Experience: ~15 hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): ~60 hours shadowing M.D./D.O.
6. Volunteering: ~120 hours

Hey! I just had my interview at Kent today and it was absolutely amazing! You will love how friendly they are! Your cGPA is good, your sGPA is pretty low and they will ask you about it (interviews at Kent are open file). They could still ask you for an interview even without an MCAT score, but try to do that by, at the LATEST, early May if possible. It's great you have one school picked out, but I would apply to a few others if you can. I was actually just invited to Western for an interview today and my stats are just a hair higher than yours, so you never know. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I just had my interview at Kent today and it was absolutely amazing! You will love how friendly they are! Your cGPA is good, your sGPA is pretty low and they will ask you about it (interviews at Kent are open file). They could still ask you for an interview even without an MCAT score, but try to do that by, at the LATEST, early May if possible. It's great you have one school picked out, but I would apply to a few others if you can. I was actually just invited to Western for an interview today and my stats are just a hair higher than yours, so you never know. :)

Thank you for your feedback. I applied to other schools as well. I was just curious as kent is my number one pick. I've been to the campus before and I loved it. I hope I do get granted an interview there so I can explain my lower sgpa. It took a pretty hard hit last semester when my son was born and had open heart surgery. Congrats on your interviews! Thanks again for your feedback and best of luck!

Thank you for your feedback. I applied to other schools as well. I was just curious as kent is my number one pick. I've been to the campus before and I loved it. I hope I do get granted an interview there so I can explain my lower sgpa. It took a pretty hard hit last semester when my son was born and had open heart surgery. Congrats on your interviews! Thanks again for your feedback and best of luck!

Oh, don't even worry, they will be very understanding. I just wanted to give you a heads up! Kent is my number 1 as well, so feel free to hit me up with any questions about the interview and I'd be happy to oblige! :)

Oh, don't even worry, they will be very understanding. I just wanted to give you a heads up! Kent is my number 1 as well, so feel free to hit me up with any questions about the interview and I'd be happy to oblige! :)
Will do! :)

Good evening everyone. Before I answer the infamous 6 questions, I suppose I should announce that I will be the "odd duck" applicant, a mid-life career changer. It was a decade long "running joke" that if the whole music and teaching thing didn't work out, I should go study podiatry...well, it's not much of a joke now. I am currently a public school teacher, and will begin taking the pre-requisite science classes in the fall at our local 4 year university. (I would have started this summer except the summer semester starts before the public school semester ends)

1. Schools you are applying to: I would like to apply to DMU, Midwestern, OCPM and Temple (this will be a while down the road though) this list will probably change and that's ok.
2. cGPA/sGPA : undergrad GPA (10 years ago) was only 3.11, but my grad school GPA just a few years ago 3.8, unfortunately not in a science field
3. MCAT Score: I won't be taking the MCAT for some time, but would welcome any advice on when to take it, and what areas tend to trip folks up.
4. Podiatry Experience: I was introduced to podiatry through my military service more than 15 years ago. I will begin shadowing/volunteering this summer.
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): None yet, but as stated above, will be occurring
6. Volunteering

Due to needing an income, I will be taking my classes part-time as I continue to teach public school, so this will give me more calendar time to put in shadow and volunteer hours, and insure that I am successful in each science course. Ideally, I would stop teaching, and just school fulltime and immerse myself in the sciences.

I would like to think that I am a better student today than I was 10 years ago, just fluffing my way through undergrad. I KNOW if I had applied myself, I could have done much better back then. I would also like to think that my efforts in grad school is a good barometer for if I can handle a tougher workload---albeit in a different field. I am trusting that better grades in more recently taken science and math classes would be a boost to my future applications.

My interest in podiatry is not some "fall-back" or second choice decision. I have done what I wanted to do in teaching, but teaching is changing and the joy isn't there anymore. Based on my personal experiences, and the experiences of those close to me, podiatry is a field that makes an incredible amount of sense for me. This is a long thought out decision, and a lengthy plan. I probably won't be applying to schools until 2016-2017.

What I am seeking from posting this information is a general idea of what else I can and should be doing to increase my chances for success in admission, and continuation in this new profession.

Just make sure that this is really what you want to do, be aware that the profession is rapidly evolving, that there are two distinct "generations" of podiatrists with rather different levels of expertise within the same field, and be prepared to explain your story in 2 minutes to interviews

Good evening everyone. Before I answer the infamous 6 questions, I suppose I should announce that I will be the "odd duck" applicant, a mid-life career changer. It was a decade long "running joke" that if the whole music and teaching thing didn't work out, I should go study podiatry...well, it's not much of a joke now. I am currently a public school teacher, and will begin taking the pre-requisite science classes in the fall at our local 4 year university. (I would have started this summer except the summer semester starts before the public school semester ends)

1. Schools you are applying to: I would like to apply to DMU, Midwestern, OCPM and Temple (this will be a while down the road though) this list will probably change and that's ok.
2. cGPA/sGPA : undergrad GPA (10 years ago) was only 3.11, but my grad school GPA just a few years ago 3.8, unfortunately not in a science field
3. MCAT Score: I won't be taking the MCAT for some time, but would welcome any advice on when to take it, and what areas tend to trip folks up.
4. Podiatry Experience: I was introduced to podiatry through my military service more than 15 years ago. I will begin shadowing/volunteering this summer.
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): None yet, but as stated above, will be occurring
6. Volunteering

Due to needing an income, I will be taking my classes part-time as I continue to teach public school, so this will give me more calendar time to put in shadow and volunteer hours, and insure that I am successful in each science course. Ideally, I would stop teaching, and just school fulltime and immerse myself in the sciences.

I would like to think that I am a better student today than I was 10 years ago, just fluffing my way through undergrad. I KNOW if I had applied myself, I could have done much better back then. I would also like to think that my efforts in grad school is a good barometer for if I can handle a tougher workload---albeit in a different field. I am trusting that better grades in more recently taken science and math classes would be a boost to my future applications.

My interest in podiatry is not some "fall-back" or second choice decision. I have done what I wanted to do in teaching, but teaching is changing and the joy isn't there anymore. Based on my personal experiences, and the experiences of those close to me, podiatry is a field that makes an incredible amount of sense for me. This is a long thought out decision, and a lengthy plan. I probably won't be applying to schools until 2016-2017.

What I am seeking from posting this information is a general idea of what else I can and should be doing to increase my chances for success in admission, and continuation in this new profession.

I'm just an undergrad, so take my opinion and advice for what it's worth, but a question you're going to need to answer at admission interviews is "why podiatry?" It sounds like you have a pretty solid and basic understanding of the profession right now, but you might be asked why you're choosing podiatry as a second career as opposed to other health careers like nursing or medicine. What is it about podiatry that makes it the career for you? You don't need to have a great answer this question yet, but that's something to consider before you go in for your podiatry school interviews.

As far as the MCAT goes, it's best to take in January or February the year before you expect to matriculate. So if you're looking to start pod school in Aug 2017, I'd take the MCAT early in 2016. That way if your first MCAT is lower than what you'd like, you have plenty of time to take it again. Overall though, don't take the MCAT until you feel you are absolutely 100% prepared.

1. Schools you are applying to: Definitely: Temple, NYCPM; still researching other programs
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.3 cGPA/3.0 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: 32 (10 physical, 12 verbal, 10 biological)
4. Podiatry Expereince: I plan on shadowing a DPM very soon
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Expereince (If Applicable): ~50 hours shadowing 2 MDs and 1 DO
6. Volunteering: lots of church volunteering, EMS for 2 years (not an EMT though)

I am looking to apply very soon! Please let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-1_17-15-14.png
    upload_2014-4-1_17-15-14.png
    95 bytes · Views: 61
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Schools you are applying to: Definitely: Temple, NYCPM; still researching other programs
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.3 cGPA/3.0 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: 32 (10 physical, 12 verbal, 10 biological)
4. Podiatry Expereince: I plan on shadowing a DPM very soon
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Expereince (If Applicable): ~50 hours shadowing 2 MDs and 1 DO
6. Volunteering: lots of church volunteering, EMS for 2 years (not an EMT though)

I am looking to apply very soon! Please let me know what you think :)
just my opinion but it seems kind of late in the process to be starting your shadowing now. i think it kind of gives off the vibe to the schools that you're doing this as a last resort

just my opinion but it seems kind of late in the process to be starting your shadowing now. i think it kind of gives off the vibe to the schools that you're doing this as a last resort

Looking at the time of application and the shadowing that has already happened I would assume that it might be just that.

@OP- If it is a last resort I would get your LOR from a DPM as soon as you can and send your app to the schools with large class sizes. You could even call schools and ask if they have spots that are open.

Well I won't lie and say I was set on podiatry from the get-go, but I have had an interest in it since my first year of college. Anyway, do you think I should not waste the money on this cycle and just wait for the next? I was thinking of applying for the January class at NYCPM and the rest of the schools next cycle.

Well I won't lie and say I was set on podiatry from the get-go, but I have had an interest in it since my first year of college. Anyway, do you think I should not waste the money on this cycle and just wait for the next? I was thinking of applying for the January class at NYCPM and the rest of the schools next cycle.

This is really up to you. I am sure that spots are still available at some schools. If I were in your shoes I would apply.

Planning on apply next cycle August 2014: considering NYPCM (pending outcome of the 4 day per-health internship), Western (I live in Cali), Temple...haven't looked much into the rest of the school.
MCDB, BS (UCSB)
cGPA: ~3.1
sGPA: ~2.9
MCAT: 22 (B: 10; P: 8; V: 4) (Planning on retaking...practice score was around 26 but verbal screwed me over & I missed a couple of bunnies on the Bio & PHY sections)

Volunteering: (~350 hrs) At an internship program (http://www.copehealthsolutions.org/clinical-internships/clinical-care-extender)

Shadowing: I just shadowed residents at the VA for 3hr (will take care of it in the summer)

Research:
-Research assistant as an undergrad @ a Marine Bio lab (running gels & all that jazz)
-I'm currently an Research Associate at an HIV clinical research lab in UCLA (processing specimens; ELISA; Western-blot; flow cytometery; making reports; maintaining multiple database......etc)
--The study has basically run its course (began in the early 80s; the purpose was to study the AIDS epidemic) so the PI (Public Health professor) basically has published 1 paper in the past 3 years...I was simply just got acknowledged for the grunt work)
--The PI doesn't even visit the lab (he's busy teaching) the manager runs it so I won't be able to get an LOR from the PI but sure can from the manager

FYI: Since I'm was a Bio major, I would have to take a bunch of science classes to significantly increase my sGPA so I'm just going to focus on improving my MCAT...shooting for a scoring in the 26-30 range. Otherwise, I would have to enroll full time at a CC & take a full load which isn't realistic. I tried he UCLA Extension route to retake my BChem series (received straight Cs) (retook 153A (B+)& 153B (pending~B-)...I'm going to skip 153C being offered in the Spring & start studying for the MCAT since I want to apply early in August)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions/feedbacks

Planning on apply next cycle August 2014: considering NYPCM (pending outcome of the 4 day per-health internship), Western (I live in Cali), Temple...haven't looked much into the rest of the school.
MCDB, BS (UCSB)
MCAT: 22 (B: 10; P: 8; V: 4) (Planning on retaking...practice score was around 26 but verbal screwed me over & I missed a couple of bunnies on the Bio & PHY sections)

Volunteering: (~350 hrs) At an internship program (http://www.copehealthsolutions.org/clinical-internships/clinical-care-extender)

Shadowing: I just shadowed residents at the VA for 3hr (will take care of it in the summer)

Research:
-Research assistant as an undergrad @ a Marine Bio lab (running gels & all that jazz)
-I'm currently an Research Associate at an HIV clinical research lab in UCLA (processing specimens; ELISA; Western-blot; flow cytometery; making reports; maintaining multiple database......etc)
--The study has basically run its course (began in the early 80s; the purpose was to study the AIDS epidemic) so the PI (Public Health professor) basically has published 1 paper in the past 3 years...I was simply just got acknowledged for the grunt work)
--The PI doesn't even visit the lab (he's busy teaching) the manager runs it so I won't be able to get an LOR from the PI but sure can from the manager

FYI: Since I'm was a Bio major, I would have to take a bunch of science classes to significantly increase my sGPA so I'm just going to focus on improving my MCAT...shooting for a scoring in the 26-30 range. Otherwise, I would have to enroll full time at a CC & take a full load which isn't realistic. I tried he UCLA Extension route to retake my BChem series (received straight Cs) (retook 153A (B+)& 153B (pending~B-)...I'm going to skip 153C being offered in the Spring & start studying for the MCAT since I want to apply early in August)

I'm an undergrad so take my opinion for what's it's worth, but I think you're on the right track by retaking your MCAT. If I were you though, I would not only shoot for 26-30 like you said, but shoot for a balanced score and really boost that VR. Yours is about 3 points lower than the average matriculant nationally. Schools use the VR to assess how well you communicate and can synthesize new ideas from reading. A low VR and unbalanced MCAT are both red flags to adcoms. Your GPA's are a little lower than average too, but I think if you dominate the MCAT and get your VR score up, you'll have a good shot.
I'm not sure if podiatry schools do this, but medical schools will average your MCAT scores if you take more than one. Just something to take into consideration. Best of luck.

MCDB, BS (UCSB)

Research:

My science GPA was similar to yours, but my cumulative was 3.5 and mcat was higher. If you can get in the 26-30 range on the MCAT by increasing your verbal score I think you will be fine. I applied to 6 schools, received interviews from all, and got into my first choice school. You will probably be fine at all the schools if you apply as early as possible next cycle, if you apply later I am sure you'll get into one of the schools that accept more students. Good luck!!

I'd bet you would get interviews at some bigger schools. Apply early. Don't apply to all schools. Your GPA will get you an autorejection from some of the schools with cutoffs at 2.75

Give it a try. I would get into some pre-med classes to prep for your classes because you might be in over your head in pod school.

The UC Berkley rowing team is da bomb. I would accept you just for that. :)

I'd bet you would get interviews at some bigger schools. Apply early. Don't apply to all schools. Your GPA will get you an autorejection from some of the schools with cutoffs at 2.75
I believe DMU, AZPOD, and Kent (but they will take people with sub 20 MCAT scores lol) will autoreject you unless you have a 2.75 cGPA/sGPA.

Your MCAT score is decent and will make up for the low GPA at some schools. I had a slightly higher GPA and a slightly lower MCAT and got interviews to NYCPM, Temple, Barry, Western, and Scholl (autorejected from Kent and DMU bc my sGPA was horrendous). Having a strong BS score on the MCAT is the key to redeeming a bad sGPA (I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I got interviews as I made a 10 on that section).

However if you are applying this cycle it's pretty much too late, I would just wait to apply for next cycle

AZpod just informed us that the class of 2018 is filled so probably shouldn't even bother there.

I am currently finishing my junior year of undergrad. My current GPA is 2.66. Way low, I know. Here's the thing, I started my undergrad 10 years ago and left school the second semester of my freshmen year without withdrawing from my courses. I received an F in three courses. It was really dumb!! I left school to work as a firefighter/paramedic for 10 years, which was a great experience. I decided I wanted to come back to school to go to pod school. I have done very well since coming back. However, I have not been able to move my GPA. I plan on taking the MCATs in August and applying for fall 15'. I am retaking the classes I failed this fall after the MCATs. That should significantly help my GPA. Is that too late? Does my GPA get evaluated from the time I apply for school or do they go off what it is when you take the MCATs? My uncle is a podiatrist and I have a lot of shadowing hours in the office and OR. I am not worried about explaining my GPA in an interview. I am worried about getting auto-denied. Any thoughts?

Do LORs expire. I have one from 2013 that I want to use for the next cycle.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

and SLCpod: yea haha the team is/was pretty good.. It was pretty tough to balance that and school :/

Hey guys! I am new here...just wondering what you all think my chance is...
I went to community college which my gpa was horrendous gpa=2.7 and went to four year school after (I was a psychology major there) gpa=3.2.
I calculated my community college + four year school for aacpm:

sGPA 3.12 cGPA 2.99
MCAT: 24 9p/7v/8b

volunteer experience:
Emergency Room~100hrs
Middle School TA~50hrs
Syrian Refugee~50hrs
Other community stuff~50hrs

Research experience:
@ Beth Israel Deaconess/Harvard~700hrs
@ Umass Amherst~ a semester worth (not sure of hours just yet)

Shadowing Exp:
I plan to do so after I take my exam...any recommendation on how many hours?

Last edited:
are you planning to apply this cycle or next cycle? Your ECs look fine but at this point in the current cycle your GPAs might be on the lower side considering some pod schools are already filled up. Good luck!

1. Schools you are applying to: all 9
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.19/2.93... 3.51 non-science
3. MCAT Score: 24 .. 9/7/8
4. Podiatry Experience:
shadowed 2 podiatrists (non-invasive and invasive), 15 hr total
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable);
1600 hr running clinical trials (paid)
200 hr volunteering in clinic
700 hr volunteer research (2 publications, 6 abstracts)
300 hr student worker (paid)
60 hr shadowing surgeries/clinic/meetings
6. Volunteering:
335 hr... non-health related activities

application was verified today (April 28) and will be sent out to the schools hopefully sometime this week...

I am applying past the priority application time so I am pretty nervous about that

are you planning to apply this cycle or next cycle? Your ECs look fine but at this point in the current cycle your GPAs might be on the lower side considering some pod schools are already filled up. Good luck!

I hope I am using this correctly and that my reply is showing up...
No, I do not plan on applying by june of 2014. I plan on applying right on August 1st 2014 or whenever next cycle opens up...I have 1 rec letter for sure...and with some effort, I will be able to obtain the second rec letter...just need to work on that 3rd one from a podiatrist. I know this is a silly question but any recommendation on how many hours I should shadow a pod? What are my chances for new cycle?

I hope I am using this correctly and that my reply is showing up...
No, I do not plan on applying by june of 2014. I plan on applying right on August 1st 2014 or whenever next cycle opens up...I have 1 rec letter for sure...and with some effort, I will be able to obtain the second rec letter...just need to work on that 3rd one from a podiatrist. I know this is a silly question but any recommendation on how many hours I should shadow a pod? What are my chances for new cycle?

Yeah your chances would be significantly better if you applied for next cycle. I actually submitted my app on August 1 too!

Personally I shadowed one podiatrist for around 50 hours. I don't think there is a magic number to shadowing but rather you should shadow enough hrs. to be comfortable to ask him/her for a letter and to make sure this is the profession you want.

I think with an MCAT at or above 22 would land you interviews. I think schools cut off GPAs at 2.75 so you should be fine there. Just my 2 cents though.

1. Schools you are applying to: all 9
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.19/2.93... 3.51 non-science
3. MCAT Score: 24 .. 9/7/8
4. Podiatry Experience:
shadowed 2 podiatrists (non-invasive and invasive), 15 hr total
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable);
1600 hr running clinical trials (paid)
200 hr volunteering in clinic
700 hr volunteer research (2 publications, 6 abstracts)
300 hr student worker (paid)
60 hr shadowing surgeries/clinic/meetings
6. Volunteering:
335 hr... non-health related activities

application was verified today (April 28) and will be sent out to the schools hopefully sometime this week...

I am applying past the priority application time so I am pretty nervous about that
Your stuff looks pretty competitive I think your concern should be your timing considering some schools are full as of now. Maybe the bigger schools will give a good look!!

Yeah your chances would be significantly better if you applied for next cycle. I actually submitted my app on August 1 too!

Personally I shadowed one podiatrist for around 50 hours. I don't think there is a magic number to shadowing but rather you should shadow enough hrs. to be comfortable to ask him/her for a letter and to make sure this is the profession you want.

I think with an MCAT at or above 22 would land you interviews. I think schools cut off GPAs at 2.75 so you should be fine there. Just my 2 cents though.

thank you for your feedback!

Hello to all the future pods,

I'm new to the forum and SDN in general, I have just been reading the different forums for updates and perspectives on Interviews and other informative insights. I had my interview on 4/25/14 and was just accepted to KSUCPM last night!:soexcited: I have just made my deposit and am pumped to say the absolute least. I loved everything about the school from the atmosphere and facilities to the faculty and students. I truly cant wait to be there in August. Anyways just wanted to see if someone would help me out to the link for the Facebook page for the class of 2018. Also if anyone has any questions about the interview process or whatever else I would be happy to help. Good luck to everyone and I am happy to be a part of the POD/ KSUCPM family.

Hello to all the future pods,

I'm new to the forum and SDN in general, I have just been reading the different forums for updates and perspectives on Interviews and other informative insights. I had my interview on 4/25/14 and was just accepted to KSUCPM last night!:soexcited: I have just made my deposit and am pumped to say the absolute least. I loved everything about the school from the atmosphere and facilities to the faculty and students. I truly cant wait to be there in August. Anyways just wanted to see if someone would help me out to the link for the Facebook page for the class of 2018. Also if anyone has any questions about the interview process or whatever else I would be happy to help. Good luck to everyone and I am happy to be a part of the POD/ KSUCPM family.

Congrats! I'm in the 2018 class as well! Can't wait to meet you at KSUCPM this fall! Here is the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170693526466304/

1. Schools you are applying to: Kent, NYCPM, and DMU
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.4 cGPA/3.4 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: 26 (11 physical, 5 verbal, 10 biological)
4. Podiatry Experience: Hoping to get that this Summer!
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Worked as a "concierge" in front of an ER for one year. Imaging Assistant (radiology) for 2 years. Shadowed and ER doc there (about 50 hours)
6. Volunteering: VP of the local ACS (does this count?) Note that we earned the "Outstanding Award" and the "Green Chemistry" Award for our chapter that year.
7. Research: Did one Summer of research (organic chem) and presented a poster.

I'm really worried about the "5" on the verbal section, but my total score (26) is still pretty good. What do you guys think?

1. Schools you are applying to: Kent, NYCPM, and DMU
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.4 cGPA/3.4 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: 26 (11 physical, 5 verbal, 10 biological)
4. Podiatry Experience: Hoping to get that this Summer!
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Worked as a "concierge" in front of an ER for one year. Imaging Assistant (radiology) for 2 years. Shadowed and ER doc there (about 50 hours)
6. Volunteering: VP of the local ACS (does this count?) Note that we earned the "Outstanding Award" and the "Green Chemistry" Award for our chapter that year.
7. Research: Did one Summer of research (organic chem) and presented a poster.

I'm really worried about the "5" on the verbal section, but my total score (26) is still pretty good. What do you guys think?

Make sure you get that Pod experience. Hard to know you want to apply to pod schools if you've never been around the profession. Good luck.

So I'm planning to apply August 2014, and just wanted to know how my application looked:

1. Schools you are applying to: Temple (top choice) and NYCPM
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.66 cGPA/3.56 sGPA - Biochemistry major
3. MCAT Score: 21 (8 physical, 6 verbal, 7 biological)
4. Podiatry Experience: Tons of podiatry shadowing. Also did the winter internship program at Temple.
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Anesthesiology, Cardiology, Dermatology, Family Practice, and Ortho Spine
150+ hours of podiatry and other specialty shadowing total.
6. Volunteering: Student Health Center Volunteering (2 years)
7. Research: Doing gastroenterology research at UPenn this summer. Required to present at the end of the program.

I'm just worried about my MCAT.

If you are applying in August you will be fine. It may be worth it to take the MCAT again so you have a better chance to get more scholarship offers.

Applying in the Fall (August)
1. All Schools
2. 2.97/3.15
3. 26 MCAT
4. ~60 hours shadowing
5.~ 30 hours DO Shadowing
6.~100 hours volunteering in ER/Hospital
7. 1.5 years non-science research, extensive extracurricular activities
I'm a little bit afraid of my science gpa. Will this keep me out of most schools or hurt me chances? I plan on applying as early as possible.