What are my chances? What Should I do ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilneeeesh

Reaction score
Question about my chances

Hi everyone!

I’m a bit stressed about med school (who isn’t?) and I was hoping yall could give me some advice. My undergrad gpa, so bad I can’t even say it, like 2.8/2.9 I think cumulative. I took the MCAT and got a 498. A lot of background stuff happened so I knew I had to fix it. I’ve been taking post-bacc classes and have gotten A’s in all the classes I’ve taken so far. I retook Bio I & II, Chem I & II, Physics I & II, their labs, English, and stats. I’m taking the MCAT again this March. All in all, what else do yall think I need to be competitive?

Background stats:
2+ years in clinical research
500 hours of shadowing
300 hours of volunteering
Started my own philanthropy
Started 2 businesses, healthcare focused

Members don't see this ad.

Is the 2.8-2.9 including the retakes?

Overall, I think you're in a lot of trouble and I wish you would have asked these questions before you took all these post-bacc hours, because I would not give you full credit for reinvention for retaking classes that you previously took and getting an A--you don't get to take material twice in med school to master it. If you want to impress admissions staffs you need to take new upper level science courses and continue to excel. How many post-bacc credit hours have you taken that are not re-takes?

Reactions: 2 users
Is the 2.8-2.9 including the retakes?

Overall, I think you're in a lot of trouble and I wish you would have asked these questions before you took all these post-bacc hours, because I would not give you full credit for reinvention for retaking classes that you previously took and getting an A--you don't get to take material twice in med school to master it. If you want to impress admissions staffs you need to take new upper level science courses and continue to excel. How many post-bacc credit hours have you taken that are not re-takes?
Hi! The 2.8 was before the retakes, I've gotten all A's on the classes I took previously and received C's and lower! I plan to take upper-level courses in the summer like immunology, virology, etc. I have 18 post bacc credits that aren't retakes so far and I got a 4.0 on them!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! The 2.8 was before the retakes, I've gotten all A's on the classes I took previously and received C's and lower! I plan to take upper-level courses in the summer like immunology, virology, etc. I have 18 post bacc credits that aren't retakes so far and I got a 4.0 on them!
And those are all science course? If that is the case then that is a good start!

Reactions: 1 user
For DO schools:

100+ hours of nonclinical volunteering
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
3.5+ 30+ credit DIY postbacc
503+ MCAT

These are rough minimums; you will be pack fodder with these. Get the MCAT up to 510, triple the volunteering hours, and get the postbacc GPA into the 3.6-3.7 range and you'll be strong...provided you have a cGPA and sGPA over 3.0.

Reactions: 2 users
You started two businesses and your own charity. Why would you give that up to live a life of deprivation and being a poor trainee with huge debt for the next few years?

For DO schools:

100+ hours of nonclinical volunteering
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
3.5+ 30+ credit DIY postbacc
503+ MCAT

These are rough minimums; you will be pack fodder with these. Get the MCAT up to 510, triple the volunteering hours, and get the postbacc GPA into the 3.6-3.7 range and you'll be strong...provided you have a cGPA and sGPA over 3.0.
My postbacc GPA is a 4.0 so far but my undergrad GPA was below a 3.0. That's why I'm re-doing the premed classes in the post bacc but I was also thinking of doing upper-level courses as well to show I can handle the course load. What do you think?

My postbacc GPA is a 4.0 so far but my undergrad GPA was below a 3.0. That's why I'm re-doing the premed classes in the post bacc but I was also thinking of doing upper-level courses as well to show I can handle the course load. What do you think?
You will have to take around 30 credits in new, upper division sciences to show you are a different student. Since you’ve been exposed to the material before in the pre-reqs, it’s expected you will do better. See Goro’s guide to reinvention:

Successful reinventors often have several hundred hours of clinical experience (which is different from shadowing) as well.

You will have to take around 30 credits in new, upper division sciences to show you are a different student. Since you’ve been exposed to the material before in the pre-reqs, it’s expected you will do better. See Goro’s guide to reinvention:

Successful reinventors often have several hundred hours of clinical experience (which is different from shadowing) as well.
This is insanely helpful, thank you so much!

Hi! I was wondering if my post-bacc grades get counted into my science gpa or are they separate entirely? I have a 4.0 in my post bacc but my undergrad was a 2.9 and even lower for science gpa.

Hi! I plan on applying in the upcoming cycle and I have a 4.0 in my post bacc classes that I am retaking but I was wondering should I apply even though I haven't taken the upper level science classes (i.e. immunology, histology)? I have them planned to take during the spring semester and summer semester.

Hi! I was wondering if my post-bacc grades get counted into my science gpa or are they separate entirely? I have a 4.0 in my post bacc but my undergrad was a 2.9 and even lower for science gpa.
Hi! I plan on applying in the upcoming cycle and I have a 4.0 in my post bacc classes that I am retaking but I was wondering should I apply even though I haven't taken the upper level science classes (i.e. immunology, histology)? I have them planned to take during the spring semester and summer semester.
I am merging your other posts to this main thread where you were asking about your chances.

The post-bacc GPA will appear on its own line but the grades will also be included in the calculation for your total sGPA.

You should apply only once you have gotten grades for your upper-division classes and both your cGPA and sGPA are above a 3.0. I would advise taking those classes in both your spring and summer semester, not just summer. The DO cycle is more flexible, so it would be fine to submit in July or early August after grades are posted.

Would you still advise taking those classes while applying to MD as well as DO? I plan to apply to both

Would you still advise taking those classes while applying to MD as well as DO? I plan to apply to both
I think you received clear advice: "You should apply only once you have gotten grades for your upper-division classes and both your cGPA and sGPA are above a 3.0. ". You have a much better chance with DO schools, but that's no guarantee. I don't have a sense of your background and journey to medicine/healthcare to know how you fit the missions of the schools you want to attend.

1. What do you mean “I have a 4.0 in my post bacc classes that I am retaking”? Previous grades are not replaced. Every grade is calculated into your overall GPAs.
2.You have received very clear advice about when to apply. Maybe you should put off applying until the 24-25 cycle.
3. Are you planning to retake your MCAT? A 498 is too low for MD.