What are my chances/What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aster369

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am curious to get feedback on how I'm doing. I am supposed to graduate in 2014, however, due to college credit in high school, I could graduate by 2013. Because of this, I do not take many credit hours a semester. (As many as I should per say)

As a Freshman:
Attended East Tennessee State Univ.
Finished off the year with 3.7 gpa
Sophomore:
Transferred to University of Tennessee Knoxville:
Last semester I had a 3.55 gpa (UTK only)

My overall gpa from all schools so far is a 3.65, due to a C and B in history. sGPA: 3.80
With A's this semester, which is 99% likely My cGPA should go up to 3.75

Lab Experiences:
Worked at Oak Ridge National Laboratory for 6 months in high school, then was rehired summer of freshman year full time for 3 months. Could possibly get a good LOR.
At East Tenn. State, all year I worked part time in the Environmental Health lab. At first I helped them run their water testing through a variety of machines, IR, GCMS, AA, testing DO, etc, then the next 6 months worked with a Graduate student on his research project. (Could also receive a LOR from him and my mentor)

Work experience:
Worked 20-40/hr week from 2008-2011 from CFA, leadership position
Vitamin Shoppe 2011-2012, greatly broadened my knowledge of vitamins, herbs, etc and how they effect the body. Both leadership and if I want to become a DO will help me out in the long run
Howstheliving.com 2011-present. Friends started up the business, winning numerous pitch competitions. I was responsible for promotions including speaking to classes, schools etc, passing out flyers, selling advertising rights, and has been an extremely beneficial experience in Communications. (Could get an excellent LOR)

Clinical Experience:
Clinical Rotations: 2009-2010 including bi weekly rotations throughout 3 local hospitals and work in a pharmacy for 3 months.
Currently only have 10 hrs shadowing. I have always had to work quite a bit to pay for my school, so have had little time. I plan on focusing on this through the next year.

Honestly, the only school I am interested in going to is Quillen ETSU. I love the campus, staff, people, and just got the right vibe there. One of the advisors for Quillen has always shown a great interest in me and I always have her as a contact. I am obviously in state, and looking for general medicine or trauma/ER. I am also planning on doing "early application/decision"

After this semester, I will have all pre-reqs done and will be studying for teh mcat all summer. I have been taking practice tests here and there and score well (~31 w/o having taken biology since high school and not having completed phys2 or orgo2). I am a good standardized test taker (got 36 on ACT first time) and I am certain I can get atleast an above average mcat for the school I am interested in. What should I concentrate on for next year?

I am a chemistry major, plan on working with my current Organic professor's team next year doing research, and I will also minor in bio in order to get some "additional medically relevant" classes in.

Members don't see this ad.

Mod please move to appropriate forum, did not mean to post here!