MD What are my chances/What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orgokid22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
25 MCAT 8/8/9 ( I was consistently scoring between 10-12 on PS and BS sections)
cGPA 3.74
sGPA 3.68
Bio Major
NY resident

ECs:
- 400+ hours of organic synthesis research of medicinal compounds in a lab over one summer (may continue into the upcoming semester)
-currently 100 hours volunteering in ER at local hospital (will continue until may) + a few hours of shadowing a physician in pediatric ER of this hospital
- Currently 50 hours shadowing of various EM physicians at an ER well-known hospital in the city (will continue until january- will probably reach 150+ hours)
- 30 hours community service, providing aid to victims of hurricane Sandy.
Great LORs from professors and PI.

No DO, MD only.
I will definitely be retaking the MCAT again. I want to know if I retake the MCAT, when is the latest date to retake and still be considered for entry in next fall (2015).
Also what are my chances for MD? What should I do?

Unwilling to take a gap year, but if necessary I will.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you really want to do MD, you're probably going to have to take a gap year. The policy for latest accepted MCAT varies per school, but if I'm not mistaken, most wouldn't consider for this cycle unless you took the MCAT within the next couple weeks. Simply put, a 25 probably won't cut it. Your GPA's are good (what's the trend?), but I would consider your EC's relatively average. Improving your MCAT to at least a 28 and further beefing up your EC's (looks like several of your EC's are continuing, which is good) will definitely help.

Reactions: 1 user
Why no DO? Also, why are you so against a gap year? It's not a race.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may want to go into a specialty that requires an MD degree, which is my biggest reason for pursuing MD. As for MCAT, I was scoring in the upper 20s- low 30s consistently, with 11-9-12 as my usual average on practice full-length MCATs. I don't know why my MCAT score was so low, still shocked about it. If I happen to retake in the next few weeks, since some med schools require you to take it no later than September 18th, and I do as well as I did on the practice exams, what will be my chances? How if in any way will that 25 affect me?

Im not totally against taking a gap year, Im a little concerned about how everything will play out with the new MCAT. As for my cGPA, it is an upward trend, however my sGPA is practically a straight line.

Thank you for your responses.

Have you been verified by AMCAS
} yet? Hopefully you have. But even so with a 25 MCAT and pretty average GPAs your chances at MD school are very low! You are going to have to retake the MCAT at some point and score > 32. That 25 will always be on your record even when it expires. Like others have said - what's the hurry? You really only want to apply once with the best package possible. A 25 MCAT for MD school isn't a good thing to apply with!

I had been holding back on submitting my AMCAS app, because I wanted to know how I did on the MCAT before submitting. However, everything is ready to go if absolutely necessary. Should I retake the MCAT in 2 weeks and apply?

Im in no rush and I want to have the best possible package to apply with. I feel like I can at least reach a 30-32 if i retake. I have a feeling my actual score is just unfortunate. Would it be worth considering a rescore? Since I was confident I did really well when leaving the exam and my actual score is well below par from my practice exams.

I have no thoughts on a rescore. I doubt though you'd get 5+ points. Just wait until next cycle. Even if you submit your primary today it would be nearly October when you are verified and even later when your new score comes in. And that isn't counting secondaries etc. By the time you are complete it will be so late in the cycle it would be impractical to apply this year Retake the MCAT when you are ready not before! Then apply on the first day next June. Keep working on your ECs and tweaking your application . Good luck!

If you are focused on MD, my recommendation is that you take all the time you need to get an MCAT score consistent with interviews in your state. Now that you have one low score, you will need an even higher score to compensate. Something in the 75th% or higher would be advisable. Rushing a re-take only puts you further behind if it is also sub-optimal.

After reviewing my options (with a clear mindset) and reading your advice, I will be taking a gap year and continue working on making sure my MCAT is where I want it to be (my aim is at minimum 32+ now). As much as I had hoped and dreamed about going to med school right out of college, I must take some time off to give myself the best possible chance. Best of luck to you all!

I wanted to know if anyone knows or has any ideas on how MCAT2015 may affect those who have taken the current MCAT?
Also, I feel like I'm pretty widespread with my ECs, having done lots of research, shadowing, and volunteering. Any advice on what other ECs I should pursue? Any suggestions for the gap year? Work or more research?

Thank you all for the great advice! I really appreciate it!

I may want to go into a specialty that requires an MD degree, which is my biggest reason for pursuing MD.

You are a premed. Your interests will likely change in the future. Don't allow this to be the reason for not applying to DO schools, especially if you do not improve your MCAT score greatly.