What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted591531

I graduated from MIT with a degree in chemistry but my grades are less than desirable. My lower grades are a result of different surgeries in the middle of the semester. On the flip side I can play a varsity sport, research part time (20hrs/wk), have another part time job (5-10hrs/wk), and take above average course load and do well (granted I'm not on crutches). I have 2 years of research experience and at least 3 professors who are willing to write me recommendation letters.

Grades are as follows:

Physics B
Calculus I&II B
Gen Chem B
OChem I B
OChem II C
*OChem III B
Bio C
BioChem I B
*BioChem II D
OChem Lab B
OChem Lab II B
BioChem Lab C

* indicates graduate level class

All of my other classes are B's and C's with a few A's for English, Arts, and Social Science classes leaving me with an overall gpa of 2.6/4.

GRE scores of 160 Quant, 4.0 Writing, 151 Verbal. I plan on taking the PCAT later.

What are my chances of getting into a PharmD Program? Is there even a possibility I could get in somewhere or am I just s.o.l?

ps. I'm currently working on the rest of the prerequisites at the local university all of those grades are A's.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely have a chance, especially since you're taking those pre-reqs at a university and getting all A's. Also, based on your GRE scores, you should perform just as well if not better on the PCAT. Stay positive and good luck! :)

What was the point of taking the gre?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't the pre-pharmacy forum have a "What are my chances" section like the pre-med forum??!!!

I would imagine they were considering a master's/PhD at some point, considering they also conducted research for 2 years. However, that is not really relevant to what the OP is asking.

Keep getting As and get an 80+ composite on your PCAT (preferrably 90+ to compensate for your lower GPA) and you have a shot. Holding down a job while playing sports and taking a full course load shows you can balance your personal/professional/academic life. However, the biochem II class would give me some concern if I were an admissions officer. While it shows that you took initiative by doing more than what was expected of you, getting a D in a grad level class is not a great indicator that you'd be able to handle grad/professional school. Be ready with an answer if they ask about that (hopefully, that coincided with one of the surgeries you mentioned).

This is rather anecdotal, but I came from a large university with a decent graduate program. One of my professors confided in me that at the senior/graduate level, there is a degree of pressure from administration to pass marginal students rather than fail them to justify having a lecture class with only ~20 to 25 students. Furthermore, if you were getting a D in his classes, chances are you had no business being there in the first place. I know this sounds elitist, but when you pass students who are inept in their field, it hurts the reputation of your school and devalues your degrees. While not everyone in education will hold this view, be prepared to encounter some who do.

P.S. - Just to reiterate, I wasn't trying to imply that you are academically inept, I just wanted to offer insight as to how someone might perceive your grade of a D. After all, you must have been doing something right to get into MIT in the first place. Good luck with your application!

Chemistry degree from MIT will probably get you in alone, much less if you back it up with a high PCAT. I doubt MIT, as stated above, is as bad for grade inflation. You probably had to perform well to get a B I would guess. PCAT is easier than the GRE I thought from when I was looking at grad school. I got a combined 319 and then turned around and got a 97 on the PCAT without having all the prereqs.

I would take someone who passed thermo and quantum mechanics with a B or C over a 3.8 sophomore who never made it past organic.