What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azteka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New member here on the website, so bear with me if I seem somewhat foolish on my posts!

Well, as I know that there are many posts like this, yet I would like one of my own, I will keep it short and simple. I am a junior in college (top school) who has terribly screwed up my undergrad. First year was ok with a 3.6, but then after that it all went downhill. As I am about to finish my third year, my cumulative GPA will be about a 2.8 at the end of this semester (awful I know). The thing is, it has been somewhat of a downward trend. (BTW I forgot to mention, I also have a ****ty GPA due to an F and a D+. Also I have three drops in my transcript; any advice as to how to overcome that?) There is noone else to blame but me. The only reason I never really gave it my best is because, since I was not a US resident, all the schools I wanted to apply to said they would not accept me. This made me sort of give up on the dream of medicine, but luckily my situation got fixed and I can apply to the schools (yay! lol).

So i guess this post is to ask what my chances are, and how can I improve them? I have already decided to stay an extra year in college and retake some classes that I did bad on, as well as do some more upper division classes. I have finally learned how to apply and manage my time, and I am certain that I can pull off at least a 3.7 from now on. With this, my GPA would increase to about a 3.2 when I graduate. Havent taken the MCAT (take it in about one month) but on the practice exams I have been getting 36 and 37ish. So I just wanted to ask you guys, what are my chances at an MD school (my dream school has always been UT Southwestern, but I am afraid I have killed that dream) and how can I improve my chances?

As far as my ECs go, I have about 150 hours as a free clinic translator (spanish), as well as research at a cognitive memory lab. I am also the founder and officer of an organization at my university, our goal is to promote healthy habits to elementary kids.

Another side note, and not sure if it matters as well, but I am a Mexican citizen (born and raised there, and came to the states about 9 years ago).

So what would be some schools that I could have a shot at, and how can I improve?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I know you are new to this website, at least the first time posting, but could you please organize it better.
I gave up after reading the first line. I'm sure a lot of people will not respond because frantically, "ain't nobody got time for that!"
It's hard to follow what you wrote because it's just a giant paragraph.

You should break it up as follows:
cGPA
sGPA
MCAT, pending date, break down of mcat scores

ECS suchs as
1. volunteering
2. research
3. clinical experience

then your story for what happened to your gpa or mcat, or what your plan is. Your story in general.

Then your question to more experienced folks.

It's just easier for readers if it's more organized.
No one is trying to spend 5 minutes reading a paragraph while mapping everything out.
You are the presenting your data so make it organized and clear to the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
and posting the same thing twice isn't going to get you more responses.

Your chances are minimal without doing a SMP. If you were to complete one with mostly As/A-s, you might be able to get into a DO school if you apply broadly.

haha you right you right! my fault!

Hello everyone! New member here on the website, so bear with me if I seem somewhat foolish on my posts!

Well, as I know that there are many posts like this, yet I would like one of my own, I will keep it short and simple. I am a junior in college (top school) who has terribly screwed up my undergrad. First year was ok with a 3.6, but then after that it all went downhill. As I am about to finish my third year, my cumulative GPA will be about a 2.8 at the end of this semester (awful I know). The thing is, it has been somewhat of a downward trend. (BTW I forgot to mention, I also have a ****** GPA due to an F and a D+. Also I have three drops in my transcript; any advice as to how to overcome that?) There is noone else to blame but me. The only reason I never really gave it my best is because, since I was not a US resident, all the schools I wanted to apply to said they would not accept me. This made me sort of give up on the dream of medicine, but luckily my situation got fixed and I can apply to the schools (yay! lol).

So i guess this post is to ask what my chances are, and how can I improve them? I have already decided to stay an extra year in college and retake some classes that I did bad on, as well as D.O. some more upper division classes. I have finally learned how to apply and manage my time, and I am certain that I can pull off at least a 3.7 from now on. With this, my GPA would increase to about a 3.2 when I graduate. Havent taken the MCAT (take it in about one month) but on the practice exams I have been getting 36 and 37ish. So I just wanted to ask you guys, what are my chances at an M.D. school (my dream school has always been UT Southwestern, but I am afraid I have killed that dream) and how can I improve my chances?

As far as my ECs go, I have about 150 hours as a free clinic translator (spanish), as well as research. I am also the founder and officer of an organization at my university, our goal is to promote healthy habits to elementary kids.

Another side note, and not sure if it matters as well, but I am a Mexican citizen (born and raised there, and came to the states about 9 years ago).

So what would be some schools that I could have a shot at, and how can I improve?

Thanks in advance!! :D
1) Why did your grades drop? What classes were the Ds and Fs in?
2) Have you retaken the courses you did poorly in?
3) Are you now a US citizen or permanent resident?
4) To improve your prospects:

Consider the GPA booster program at North Texas for after you graduate: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Education/gsbs/medicalsciences.cfm

Also, develop amazing ECs: research, ongoing peer leadership, regular nonmedical community service helping the disadvantaged, physician shadowing, besides what you mentioned above.

Get a strong MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Why did your grades drop? What classes were the Ds and Fs in?
2) Have you retaken the courses you did poorly in?
3) Are you now a US citizen or permanent resident?
4) To improve your prospects:

Consider the GPA booster program at North Texas for after you graduate: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Education/gsbs/medicalsciences.cfm

Also, develop amazing ECs: research, ongoing peer leadership, regular nonmedical community service helping the disadvantaged, physician shadowing, besides what you mentioned above.

Get a strong MCAT score.

1) Well I got a D+ in Orgo 2 and an F in one of my upper division biology courses. The reason my grades drop, well for starters, I became more involved in school (trying to find some other stuff to do since I thought I could never go to medical school) and honestly I put too much on my plate. It is not a really awful downward trend, I mean my first 4 semesters here I had a 3.1 overall. Then I got the D and the F and that completely bombed my GPA.
2) I have retaken ochem 2 and got an A the second time. That is the only class I have retaken. I plan on retaking the classes that I got a C or less on (about 6)
3) As of now I am a permanent resident (I won't get my citizenship for another 4 more years)
4) Yeah I have considered some post baccs as well (there is one in Dallas, so I could do that).

And yea as far as the EC's go I have been working on them for a while. I mean I have leadership position through my org, got the research lab going on. I do lack a bit on shadowing, but I plan on fixing that this upcoming summer (already have it set with a doctor to let me shadow about 30 hours or so for the whole summer)

As far as the MCAT goes, well I am doing my best to try to get the highest grade possible, because I know that it will sort of be my salvation. Like I got a 37 on my last practice exam (13 B 12 P 12V) and I plan on keep on practicing until I take my test next month.

Your chances are minimal without doing a SMP. If you were to complete one with mostly As/A-s, you might be able to get into a DO school if you apply broadly.

Would the SMP be better thatn doing a post bacc? If talking about DO school, wouldn't my chances be better by retaking classes that I did bad on, as I know that for Osteopathic school they use the most recent grade to calculate the GPA

A postbacc is fine too, probably better considering your circumstances. Keep in mind that some schools are more lenient in how they view grade replacement than others. While those old courses are not factored in your AACOMAS GPA, they don't just disappear when it comes time for committees to look at your file.

A postbacc is fine too, probably better considering your circumstances. Keep in mind that some schools are more lenient in how they view grade replacement than others. While those old courses are not factored in your AACOMAS GPA, they don't just disappear when it comes time for committees to look at your file.

Yeah I know :/ I talked to my adviser about it, and she said the same thing. She told me that schools will see all my grades and may ask questions about my grades. Either way, I feel like what I am going to do is just get my degree and then retake the classes at my local University (save money on housing) and then go DO. I feel like my MCAT score (should I get what I get on the practice exams) may be able to help my case in regards to grades as far as DO school goes.

Still gonna need a 3.0 and a year of good grades to be taken seriously. Keep in mind, MCAT scores are usually only hood for 2-3 years, so you need to get on this and do it right if you want a decent chance of admission.

Still gonna need a 3.0 and a year of good grades to be taken seriously. Keep in mind, MCAT scores are usually only hood for 2-3 years, so you need to get on this and do it right if you want a decent chance of admission.

Yeah definitely! My plan is to either stay an extra year or take classes back home (the biggest benefit of staying here an extra year is to keep doing research and maybe publish a paper or two as the main author) and then apply. I do not plan on applying until I at least am above a 3.0. My plan is to take the MCAT the next month, and then will all luck, apply within two years from that moment. By the way, thanks for the replies!

Most DO schools don't really care much about research. Focus on your studies and wrap up anything you're currently working on.

Most DO schools don't really care much about research. Focus on your studies and wrap up anything you're currently working on.
True. I guess the reason for research is that I also kind of want to keep my possibilities open for an MD (I have talked to some med schools and they say that if I can bring my GPA up to a 3.2, and get a great MCAT score, based on the rest of my application, I would have a good chance at getting an interview)

1) Well me got a D+ in Orgo 2 and an F in one of my upper division biology courses. The reason my grades drop, well for starters, me became more involved in school (trying to find some other stuff to do since me thought me could never go to medical school) and honestly me put too much on my plate. It is not a really awful downward trend, me mean my first 4 semesters here me had a 3.1 overall. Then me got the D and the F and that completely bombed my GPA.
2) me have retaken ochem 2 and got an A the second time. That is the only class me have retaken. me plan on retaking the classes that me got a C or less on (about 6)
3) As of now me are a permanent resident (me won't get my citizenship for another 4 more years)
4) Yeah me have considered some post baccs as well (there is one in Dallas, so me could do that).

And yea as far as the EC's go me have been working on them for a while. me mean me have leadership position through my org, got the research lab going on. me do lack a bit on shadowing, but me plan on fixing that this upcoming summer (already have it set with a doctor to let me shadow about 30 hours or so for the whole summer)

As far as the MCAT goes, well me are doing my best to try to get the highest grade possible, because me know that it will sort of be my salvation. Like me got a 37 on my last practice exam (13 B 12 P 12V) and me plan on keep on practicing until me take my test next month.
I had assumed you might be a Texas resident, in which case you should know that their DO med school doesn't do grade replacement, since it's part of the TMDSAS system.

Good job on the OChem retake.

Permanent resident=US citizen when it comes to nearly all med school considerations (I've heard of only one exception).

Just so you know, about 50 shadowing hours is the average listed. Ideally this would include a primary care office-based doc.

An MCAT of 37+ would get you a lot of extra consideration and is worth striving for.

me had assumed you might be a Texas resident, in which case you should know that their DO med school doesn't do grade replacement, since it's part of the TMDSAS system.

Good job on the OChem retake.

Permanent resident=US citizen when it comes to nearly all med school considerations (me've heard of only one exception).

Just so you know, about 50 shadowing hours is the average listed. Ideally this would include a primary care office-based doc.

An MCAT of 37+ would get you a lot of extra consideration and is worth striving for.

Indeed I am a Texas resident and yeah I knew that they do not do the retake policy (but I might still apply). yeah i mean its going to be 30 hours of shadowing this summer, and probably 30 more next summer (since I am staying an extra year). By the way the doctor I am shadowing is a neurologist (which is what I want to do in the long run) Yeah I am shooting to do my best on that MCAT hopefully i can get that score.

A SMP given at a med school wil be your back door into that school if you do well, and ace the MCAT. Otherwise, a post-bac, either official, or DIY, is also fine, as long as you ace it.

The easiest route is to simply retake all F/D/C science coursework, and apply to DO programs. Only the higher grades will count. Does wonders for the GPA.

Keep in mind that not all schools accept non-citizens.

Would the SMP be better thatn doing a post bacc? If talking about DO school, wouldn't my chances be better by retaking classes that I did bad on, as I know that for Osteopathic school they use the most recent grade to calculate the GPA

A SMP given at a med school wil be your back door into that school if you do well, and ace the MCAT. Otherwise, a post-bac, either official, or DIY, is also fine, as long as you ace it.

The easiest route is to simply retake all F/D/C science coursework, and apply to DO programs. Only the higher grades will count. Does wonders for the GPA.

Keep in mind that not all schools accept non-citizens.

Yea that is what I had thought. But for the DIY part, say I were to retake the classes that I did bad on. Should I retake them as a post bacc sort of thing, or just hold off graduating for one year and retake them while I am still an undergrad so that they can go in my undergrad GPA?

You can do either

Yea that is what I had thought. But for the DIY part, say I were to retake the classes that I did bad on. Should I retake them as a post bacc sort of thing, or just hold off graduating for one year and retake them while I am still an undergrad so that they can go in my undergrad GPA?