DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
24-25 MCAT should get you into DO... You should also apply MD if you get 28+ MCAT score..

Members don't see this ad :)
You are pretty much competitive for any DO schools as long as you can half guess your way through the MCAT and score a mid/upper 20's score. If you are interested in allo schools, study up for the MCAT and a decent score could open up a lot of schools to you.

Thanks so much everyone! Does anyone know of any specific DO/MD schools that would fit my stats?

28 would be the floor for MD schools, and the OPs ECs are rather avg. I suggest aiming for 30+, since the avg for acceptees is now ~33. A 24-25 is now getting to be subpar for DO schools (it would get you rejected from mine and CCOM, for example). The avg is approaching high 20s.

24-25 MCAT should get you into DO... You should also apply MD if you get 28+ MCAT score..

I agree with @Goro - Avg MCAT scores are rising, maybe this is why there's a new MCAT coming out :thinking:?

Two friends I graduated with got a 29 and 31 on the MCAT and never got an II from PCOM (a school they picked to be a safety). Get at least a 27 on the MCAT and you'll get in somewhere this cycle

Would you all consider my EC's to be subpar or enough for medical school?

Active clinical experience looks low to me. And since you decline to give details about nonmedical volunteering or shadowing hours, an opinion can't be given, Leadership looks good.
What can I do to improve active clinical experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering doing some volunteering over the summer and I am already planning for some more leadership/mentoring roles for this fall. Would mentioning that help my application or am I really in a bad position right now?

You can include this information in future update letters after you've accumulated hours. If the "volunteering" you have planned will be at one of the clinical sites where you've already volunteered, you could tack mention of the future plan onto the end of the description.