what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdiddy916

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm 100% applying to EM this upcoming cycle and just wanted some help/insight from you on how competitive I am as an applicant. It is difficult for me to find any stats on specific programs and so I really don't know how I stack up. I understand the interview process plays a significant role on how programs select people, and to be honest, I believe the interview aspect will be my strong point. I just hope that I can get interviews in the locations I want to live in.

Here's my stats: Step 1= 232 , Rank= 2nd quartile, A-'s and B+'s for 3rd year rotations
Master's degree in medical science, 5 research experiences (2 in EM), Good Volunteer Hx
Unique: Patent for medical device, Gold Humanism Honor Society member

I plan on doing better on step 2 (250) and having my score available by October 1st which is when our dean letter's are sent out. I plan on doing one away rotation at a program in NY. I am from Texas, but most of my family lives in NY so I can live there for free.

I believe I should be able to match somewhere, but I really am hoping to only apply to programs in TX, NY, Chicago, and some top-tier programs as "reacher schools" in case I get lucky.

Do you think I have the stats to be selective? In general, what is a good number of programs to apply to if I am wanting 10-12 interviews.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll match well. Apply to 10-20 places, go to interviews at and rank 10 programs. You'll be fine.

I think you'll match well. ...... You'll be fine.

Apply to 10-20 places, go to interviews at and rank 10 programs.

I agree with the first two sentiments. I wholeheartedly disagree with the latter two.

10-20 programs might work, but why would you limit yourself like that? It costs the same to apply to 10 programs as it does to apply to 30. Also, if you're applying to "reach" programs like you mentioned, the idea of applying to less than 20 programs seems like a foolhardy one to me. Despite the quality of your application, there is no guarantee that you will get an interview at every place you apply.

As for the number of places to rank: Rank as many places that you would be willing to do a residency at. If you go on 15 interviews and you would rather match at any of them than not match, then you should rank all 15. If you despise all but 8, then rank 8. You get my point.

I'm in no way trying to panic you, you sound like you have a very solid application. That said, I feel that dotcb's advice exposes you to risks which are unnecessary and very easily avoided.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply to 40. I know that's a lot, but the interview season is much less stressful when you're not worrying about getting more invites, but deciding which programs to cancel. I think 10-12 is right on.

If you do well on your away and interview well, you'll be golden. Step 1 is ok, not great but not awful. Grades are strong and research above average.

Relax, work hard on your externship and enjoy fourth year.

Good luck.

I'd echo the concerns of the above two. You're a strong candidate, but the areas you're thinking about are TOUGH. Don't underestimate how much luck can play into this role thing and don't ever limit your options if realistic options exist. Apply to many. Rank as many ad you'd like to attend.

Matched into EM in the most recent cycle so take it worth a grain of salt.

Similar step 1 and step 2 score, masters degree, good amount of EM research, few pubs. I got interviews all across the country including areas you mentioned (NY, Texas, and Chicago), and many reach schools that I didn't think I would get. That being said, I applied to >50 programs. I wasn't sure of my competitiveness either, so I tried to be safe rather than sorry. Got interviews at 30+. Ended up going on 17 and ranked every single one (again, better safe than sorry attitude). I was happy with my match at my #3. I ranked on overall happiness/geographic location vs pure prestige, so there were definitely some prestigious places lower in list.

If you're home program I'd talk to the program director and see if they could give you an estimate. Mine originally said 30ish, which in hindsight probably would have been appropriate.

I was happy with overapplying because 1) put my mind at ease 2) you don't know what you like and don't like till you've seen it. Alot of places surprised me, for better and worse, so by the end I knew exactly what my priorities were, which made my ranklist easier to do than some of my classmates.

Hope that helped.

Reactions: 1 user