What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LactaidPlease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated with a B.S. in Pharmacological Chemistry and a minor in Biology.
Overall GPA: ~3.10
PharmCAS GPA: ~3.10
Taking a couple more prereqs in the fall at community college and university extensions which will boost my GPA a bit, but it probably wouldn't matter at that point, huh?

PCAT
Verbal: 99 (461)
Biology: 99 (455)
RC: 86 (421)
QA: 97 (447)
Chemistry: 99 (485)
Composite: 99 (454)
Writing: 4.0

Pharmacy Experience:
Currently volunteering at an independent pharmacy once a week. Just started this month. Mostly handling inventory.
Volunteered at my school's student health center's pharmacy for 4 months counting pills.
Have my certification and pharmacy technician state license but haven't been able to find any part-time work as a tech or a clerk...

Other experiences:
Was a volunteer for a dermatology clinical trials unit for 6 months.
Lab research assistant at a biology lab for 9 months.
Interned at a pharmaceutical company doing research for a summer.
A couple student orgs I was active in.

Letters of Rec:
I have a good letter from my supervisor in the biology lab.
I have a letter I feel like will be pretty good from the pharmacist at the student health center.
A letter from my biochem professor which will probably be pretty generic but not horrible.

Personal Statement:
Working on it. Not happy with it but its slowly getting better.

So, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a couple more prereqs in the fall at community college and university extensions which will boost my GPA a bit, but it probably wouldn't matter at that point, huh?

PCAT

Pharmacy Experience:
Currently volunteering at an independent pharmacy once a week. Just started this month. Mostly handling inventory.
Volunteered at my school's student health center's pharmacy for 4 months counting pills.
Have my certification and pharmacy technician state license but haven't been able to find any part-time work as a tech or a clerk...

Other experiences:

Letters of Rec:
I have a letter I feel like will be pretty good from the pharmacist at the student health center.
A letter from my biochem professor which will probably be pretty generic but not horrible.

Personal Statement:

So, what are my chances?

one word: excellent !! :thumbup::thumbup:

you should apply and get accepted to all top 20 schools. GL :)

Only one thing is for sure:
0<(probability getting accepted)<1

Just kidding you should be fine. I personally wouldn't apply to any mid tier schools with a 99. Just do ED for the one you want first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure? My GPA is rather low. Also, what would be considered a mid tier school? What is an accurate list of ranking?

A 99 lets you pick where you want to go as long as you are above 3.0... If you had a 2.9 it might be different.

Reactions: 1 user
A 99 lets you pick where you want to go as long as you are above 3.0... If you had a 2.9 it might be different.

second that.

Unless you want to go to California or other non-PCAT schools, 99 is super excellent !! Plus you have a BS in Chem. Can't beat that !! :thumbup::thumbup:

second that.

Unless you want to go to California or other non-PCAT schools, 99 is super excellent !! Plus you have a BS in Chem. Can't beat that !! :thumbup::thumbup:

Well, any tips on addressing my bad grades in an interview? I've gotten everywhere from C's to A's and there is no upward trend...

Well, any tips on addressing my bad grades in an interview? I've gotten everywhere from C's to A's and there is no upward trend...

Only you know your situation better than anyone. Find positive things and "spin" them to your advantage :)

PCAT

Pharmacy Experience:

Other experiences:

Letters of Rec:

Personal Statement:

So, what are my chances?

Great PCAT, and Good GPA

GPA is not everything, but I would not take the advice of applying to top 20 schools!!! because you would lower your chances by doing so. with your GPA I would apply to not very top schools (IMO all are the same as long as they are accredited) in those schools your GPA still not great but your PCAT will make you to stand out.

also apply for schools that Does not require PCAT and include your PCAT that will add alot to your application. (all california schools and touro NY as well)

Goodluck.

Hint: if I were you take the MCAT and go to medical school such as american university in the Caribbean or queen in australia. both are great schools and recognized in the USA and you can get fin aid for it as well. ask and sort your options. on the long run medical school will be way better for you.

Great PCAT, and Good GPA

GPA is not everything, but I would not take the advice of applying to top 20 schools!!! because you would lower your chances by doing so. with your GPA I would apply to not very top schools (IMO all are the same as long as they are accredited) in those schools your GPA still not great but your PCAT will make you to stand out.

also apply for schools that Does not require PCAT and include your PCAT that will add alot to your application. (all california schools and touro NY as well)

Goodluck.

Hint: if I were you take the MCAT and go to medical school such as american university in the Caribbean or queen in australia. both are great schools and recognized in the USA and you can get fin aid for it as well. ask and sort your options. on the long run medical school will be way better for you.

well if the OP want to be super safe, he could always apply to more lower-tier schools.

but I do not get the part where you suggest the OP to take the MCAT then only go to Caribbean or Australian med schools.... what the point of taking the MCAT then ?? Hmmmm :thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
well if the OP want to be super safe, he could always apply to more lower-tier schools.

but I do not get the part where you suggest the OP to take the MCAT then only go to Caribbean or Australian med schools.... what the point of taking the MCAT then ?? Hmmmm :thinking::thinking:

I suggested so because:
  1. First because medical school is a better option.
  2. Second those schools require MCAT that is why they receive FIN AID from the Gov. there are many other schools that does not require mcat but can not receive fin aid, Stafford, Grad plus.....etc.
  3. Third i did not suggest USA based schools because with a gpa 3.10 the chances are very low.
here is the link for the Australian only one school that has 2 years in Australia and 2 years rotations in USA http://www.mededpath.org/

all other Australian schools requires the 4 years to be completed in Australia. you have to further ask about the fin aid availability though because from what I heard, there is an ongoing debate if the Gov will continue funding those overseas programs in Australia. So you have to ask the university and also call up FAFSA and ask to make sure that the university is not selling sweet dreams without official pack up from US Gov.

Last edited:
I suggested so because:
  1. First because medical school is a better option.
  2. Second those schools require MCAT that is why they receive FIN AID from the Gov. there are many other schools that does not require mcat but can not receive fin aid, Stafford, Grad plus.....etc.
  3. Third i did not suggest USA based schools because with a gpa 3.10 the chances are very low.
here is the link for the Australian only one school that has 2 years in Australia and 2 years rotations in USA http://www.mededpath.org/

all other Australian schools requires the 4 years to be completed in Australia. you have to further ask about the fin aid availability though because from what I heard, there is an ongoing debate if the Gov will continue funding those overseas programs in Australia. So you have to ask the university and also call up FAFSA and ask to make sure that the university is not selling sweet dreams without official pack up from US Gov.

I personally know people with low 3's GPA getting accepted to US allopathic (MD) medical schools. I agree that it would be harder than students with higher GPA's but it is not impossible. With some good strategy/planning and MCAT score, you could get in US med schools.

regarding the Australian med school, which you provided a link, I have checked it out. It requires a minimum 24 on the MCAT (8, 8, 8). If one has that score, my suggestion is that the person should apply to US osteopathic (DO) med schools. No need to go that far to the down under. Also the awarded degree would be MBBS and not MD (they might be equivalent in the US but you probably do not wanna wear those letters on your coat and have your patients to question about what they stand for). The tuition is also expensive: $58,400 (USD) per year, not counting the cost of living expense and traveling. http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html http://www.mededpath.org/clinicals.html

*Edit:

"From 2015, the School of Medicine will offer a 4-year Doctor of Medicine (MD), an extended master's degree, which is a Level 9 qualification under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The MD Program is designed to produce doctors who are able to meet today's challenges. The curriculum has been planned to capture the enthusiasm and maturity of its graduate entrants and help them develop into highly-skilled medical graduates capable of entering the wide variety of career options open to them worldwide."

http://www.mededpath.org/som.html

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know people with low 3's GPA getting accepted to US allopathic (MD) medical schools. I agree that it would be harder than students with higher GPA's but it is not impossible. With some good strategy/planning and MCAT score, you could get in US med schools.

regarding the Australian med school, which you provided a link, I have checked it out. It requires a minimum 24 on the MCAT (8, 8, 8). If one has that score, my suggestion is that the person should apply to US osteopathic (DO) med schools. No need to go that far to the down under. Also the warded degree would be MBBS and not MD (they might be equivalent in the US but you probably do not wanna wear those letters on your coat and have your patients to question about what they stand for). The tuition is also expensive: $58,400 (USD) per year, not counting the cost of living expense and traveling. http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html http://www.mededpath.org/clinicals.html

Actually you are correct, if DO schools can accept low 3's that would be great option. and the MBBS part I did not know. for the tuition part is not a big deal because almost 90% will apply for income based paym of some type. for example if a pharmacist makes 120k a year and have loans 250k or more the paym under income based options will be the same even if the pharmacist has 500k in loans. they cut the payment by a certain percentage (i think 10 to 15 percent) of your income for about 15 to 25 years based on your situation and they wave the rest.

Do not get my posts wrong. I am not trying to get him away from USA based schools but I am saying that they are valid options if USA based schools did not work and almost guaranteed because he seems to be smart from the PCAT scores. They might not be the best option but it is a safe haven if rejected by USA schools.

Last edited:
Actually you are correct, if DO schools can accept low 3's that would be great option. and the MBBS part I did not know. for the tuition part is not a big deal because almost 90% will apply for income based paym of some type.

Do not get my posts wrong. I am trying to get him away from USA based schools but I am saying that they are valid options if USA based schools did not work and almost guaranteed because he seems to be smart from the PCAT scores. They might not be the best option but it is a safe haven if rejected by USA schools.

I agree with you there. The "Big 4" in the Caribbean and schools like this one in Australia or the UK would be solid alternatives to US MD/DO schools. But if a student is taking the MCAT, he/she should consider applying to US med schools first as more and more restrictions and decreased opportunity in residencies coming for IMGs in the future.

Are you sure? My GPA is rather low. Also, what would be considered a mid tier school? What is an accurate list of ranking?
search on google medical school ranking by GPA or MCAT and you will find lots of info about which are top schools and which are not. mainly with your GPA focus on DO schools.

search on google medical school ranking by GPA or MCAT and you will find lots of info about which are top schools and which are not. mainly with your GPA focus on DO schools.

don't foget SDN's pre-MD/DO forums here ;)

I agree with you there. The "Big 4" in the Caribbean and schools like this one in Australia or the UK would be solid alternatives to US MD/DO schools. But if a student is taking the MCAT, he/she should consider applying to US med schools first as more and more restrictions and decreased opportunity in residencies coming for IMGs in the future.

That is true. I would say he should apply for both options in the same time instead of wasting a year waiting to re-apply again. then 99% he will get into somewhere

Last edited:
I'm still very confused how the topic changed from pharmacy to medical school, as the OP seems to be looking at pharmacy chances?

yup we should have stayed on topic. But FuturePharmacist think the OP should also consider med school, hence the med school discussion. And I have also learned some new things about Australian med schools... So it is all good :)

Great PCAT, and Good GPA

Goodluck.

About what ranked schools should I be applying to then? Should I still apply to a couple higher ranked schools? In addition to ranking, I've been looking at acceptance rates, and some of the top 20 have pretty high acceptance rates while some other lower ranked schools have bad acceptance rates.

About what ranked schools should I be applying to then? Should I still apply to a couple higher ranked schools? In addition to ranking, I've been looking at acceptance rates, and some of the top 20 have pretty high acceptance rates while some other lower ranked schools have bad acceptance rates.

I would still apply to a few higher ranked schools just to try and see how high I could go, but always have a few backups handy just in case. I was able to get interviews to the two top 20 schools I applied to and I had a similar PCAT and slightly lower GPA. Make sure to round out your application with solid LORs, personal statement, and ECs and you should at least have a chance to get in with a good interview.

VA 416/74
Bio435/92
RC 402/54
QA 410/67
Chem 455/98

Comp 424/90

Should I rewrite? Or is my composite good enough to not stress?

VA 416/74
Bio435/92
RC 402/54
QA 410/67
Chem 455/98

Comp 424/90

Should I rewrite? Or is my composite good enough to not stress?

I think it is excellent. Paired with good GPA (ideally 3.5 and above) and/or a degree, you could possibly pick schools imho :)

Update: just got hired as a pharmacy technician at CVS. Does this increase my chances by much? Also, since I've never been a tech before, do you have any tips or advice for when I start?

Dude you are very competitive, you should not worry. I had similar score and I got in to one top three school and a bunch of interviews of top 15 schools