What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt1221

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just started my 3rd year and wanted to know what my chances of matching into ortho were. I got a 661 om my comlex. I am in the top 15% in my class and I will be starting research hopefully soon. I'm thinking about taking next July off as a study month for step II and having August, September, October, and November as my audition months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I just started my 3rd year and wanted to know what my chances of matching into ortho were. I got a 661 om my comlex. I am in the top 15% in my class and I will be starting research hopefully soon. I'm thinking about taking next July off as a study month for step II and having August, September, October, and November as my audition months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Nice score. Won't hurt by any means. Doing well on Step II will drive home that you are a good student academically, but not always necessary at time of interview at some places. Where do you plan to rotate at?

I was planning to take July off and study for step 2 as well, but I also heard a lot of programs interview late october/early november, in which case I'm not sure how good a November audition would be. Anyone have any insight to when programs interview? The opportunities website has a range of dates but I was told from some people who applied last year it wasn't really accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice score. Won't hurt by any means. Doing well on Step II will drive home that you are a good student academically, but not always necessary at time of interview at some places. Where do you plan to rotate at?
I plan on rotating at Largo medical center, broward, doctors hospital in Columbus, and I need to pick one other Ohio spot.

The problem with the Florida programs are that there are very few spots (1-2 year) at each program with lots of student. I assume you are a base student, thus increasing your exposure. However, I would suggest hitting up some of the bigger (and imo better programs) up north with your scores to increase your chances of matching. Doctors, Lansing, Harrisburg, PCOM all come to mind (3-4+ spots/yr)