What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore majoring in Biochemistry. I didn't do so well my freshman year and got a 3.1 GPA but I anticipate it growing quite a bit more over my next three years to a minimum of 3.4 or 3.5 hopefully a little more. I'm currently doing research with a professor in one of our university labs and I've job shadowed a few different oncologists in my hometown which is what I would want to do if I went to med school. Right now how are my chances looking? What could I do/should I be doing to improve my chances of getting in?

Obviously I haven't taken the MCAT yet so I don't have a score to give you. And I'm not talking about selective schools however I would like to go to some school near me, I live in Iowa. So a school in Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, etc. would be fine

Members don't see this ad.

You should make sure you aim for straight A's from now on. One or 2 Bs won't kill you but you need your GPA to be at least 3.4-3.5. Also do some clinical volunteering and some community service, rack up those hours!

Assuming you've completed most of your pre-med classes by the end of sophomore year, start studying intensively for the MCAT during the summer after sophomore year. Take a lot of practice tests and go over all the questions you've completed. Either take a professional review course or do it on your own but treat MCAT prep like a full-time job. Ideally, you should study for the MCAT full-time in June and July and take it in August. Sign up 5-6 months ahead for a MCAT seat since they get filled up fast. Aim for a score above 30.

If you do all this plus have strong LORs and apply early and broadly, your chances are good.

Last edited:
So I want to take the MCAT in August before my junior year? I've taken some "practice questions" for the MCAT and seem to understand the majority of them fairly well. I was planning on taking a professional review course for it. I had planned on doing some clinical volunteering, where exactly would be the best place to do that at my point in college and how exactly do I get that set up, are most hospitals willing to let students come in and volunteer? Also, generally speaking how competitive are the non-top rated med schools in the midwest? If I had a GPA of ~3.5 and a MCAT of 32-35 with good clinical experience, volunteer working, LORs etc. would I have a decent shot of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, you should take your MCAT in your junior year if you plan to apply the summer after junior year (so you can join med school right after you graduate). However, since you will be busy improving your GPA during junior year and doing your extracurricular work, it's better to take the MCAT in the beginning of junior year, before school starts.

You should look for a ER or hospital near where you live/near campus. Contact their volunteer services department and get it set up, usually it's quite easy. The hospitals/ER are willing. You can also look for jobs as a medical/ER scribe because that will count as clinical experience.

Based on the stats you gave, you would have a decent chance of getting in as long as you apply early. Submit AMCAS in June, secondaries in July-August

How many hours of clinical experience do med schools expect you to have before coming there? I understand that's an extremely general question but speaking in generalities how many hours would you recommend? And the same question for community service. Also, what would the hospital/ER usually have me doing for clinical experience? Thank you for your help

How many hours of clinical experience do med schools expect you to have before coming there? I understand that's an extremely general question but speaking in generalities how many hours would you recommend? And the same question for community service. Also, what would the hospital/ER usually have me doing for clinical experience? Thank you for your help

A minimum of a 100 hours of clinical experience (not including physician shadowing). More is better. Same for community service.

They'll usually have you greet the patients, make sure they are comfortable, bring them water, blankets etc. You may also have to remove old bedsheets and put new bedsheets on the bed after a patient leaves. You may have to carry blood/urine samples to the lab. Lots of grunt work but it's fun.

A minimum of a 100 hours of clinical experience (not including physician shadowing). More is better. Same for community service.

They'll usually have you greet the patients, make sure they are comfortable, bring them water, blankets etc. You may also have to remove old bedsheets and put new bedsheets on the bed after a patient leaves. You may have to carry blood/urine samples to the lab. Lots of grunt work but it's fun.

Will they give you a set schedule to come in or is it just more whenever you have time? I'm just wondering how much this would interfere with my current lab research and school schedule. And is there any kind of documentation of these hours required or do you simply just list it out on your application to med school and they take your word for it?

Will they give you a set schedule to come in or is it just more whenever you have time? I'm just wondering how much this would interfere with my current lab research and school schedule. And is there any kind of documentation of these hours required or do you simply just list it out on your application to med school and they take your word for it?

no you tell them a time that works for you and they see if it fits their volunteer schedule and if not,give you more options. For example, you may volunteer from noon to 4 every Saturday. Usually no documentation is required but you provide the contact info of your hospital volunteer coordinator in your amcas app.

How many separate LORs will I need/should I have?

How many separate LORs will I need/should I have?

usually you need 2 LORs from 2 science professors who taught you in a class and gave you a grade and 1 LOR from a non-science professor. It's also recommended to have a LOR from someone who can comment on your clinical experience (physician, nurse etc.) Your fifth LOR can be from your research supervisor if you want but 3-4 LORS are usually enough.

Does your university have a pre-medical or pre-health advising office that can collect all your LORs and send it to the medical schools?

usually you need 2 LORs from 2 science professors who taught you in a class and gave you a grade and 1 LOR from a non-science professor. It's also recommended to have a LOR from someone who can comment on your clinical experience (physician, nurse etc.) Your fifth LOR can be from your research supervisor if you want but 3-4 LORS are usually enough.

Does your university have a pre-medical or pre-health advising office that can collect all your LORs and send it to the medical schools?
I'm not sure if we do or not. If so would that be preferable?

Maintain the upward trend and you should be OK.

I am currently a sophomore majoring in Biochemistry. I didn't do so well my freshman year and got a 3.1 GPA but I anticipate it growing quite a bit more over my next three years to a minimum of 3.4 or 3.5 hopefully a little more. I'm currently doing research with a professor in one of our university labs and I've job shadowed a few different oncologists in my hometown which is what I would want to do if I went to med school. Right now how are my chances looking? What could I do/should I be doing to improve my chances of getting in?

Obviously I haven't taken the MCAT yet so I don't have a score to give you. And I'm not talking about selective schools however I would like to go to some school near me, I live in Iowa. So a school in Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, etc. would be fine