What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: 2nd Year PostBacc. I am a career changer with a degree from UCLA as an Asian American Studies Major.

Country/state of residence: California Schools to which you are applying: Mostly California Schools, some out of state schools that have stats within my range

Cumulative GPA: 3.52

Science GPA: ~3.5

MCAT Scores: Taking it in May

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): Currently working in an Endocrinology lab studying stem cell research on diabetic ischemia.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: UCI, roughly about 40 hours now. Going to finish my hours this summer, so roughly ~100 hours.

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: Worked with an ophthalmologist for 6 months full time (~1000 hours of shadowing).

Non-clinical volunteering: Was a Program Director for a SAILING program with a Summer Camp that works with underserved communities in the Los Angeles area. Did that for about 4 years. (120+ hours for each year, so roughly ~480 hours)

Extracurricular activities: Treasurer for the Pre-Health Society at my current PostBacc, Mentored Southeast Asian Students, Board Representative for my major at UCLA, College Tennis

Employment history: Work for ~6 months with a ophthalmologist (left to pursue PostBacc) and mostly admin work from there.

Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars. ~500 hours of volunteering, ~100 hours of research, ~1000 hours of shadowing, and ~100 of extracurriculars

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) Yes, I have a sister that is a pharmacist

Specialty of interest: Psychiatry

Shadowing experience: None for psychiatry, but have shadowed for Ophthalmology

Graduate degrees: No

Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes

Members don't see this ad.

You should try to get the best MCAT score possible. Try to get at least a 92nd percentile score (the equivalent of a 34, RIP old MCAT) to be competitive for MD admissions. Otherwise, DO may be your best bet: a 57th percentile score will get you there.

If you have a background with the Inland Empire, UCR may be a good choice. The other UCs are going to require a beast of a MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have more than enough shadowing. If you want to do psychiatric shadowing that can, in my opinion, most likely only help. As far as your GPA/MCAT, unfortunately you live in a TOUGH state for medical school admissions. But, you are a non-traditional, and that can be a plus. I mean do as well on the MCAT as you can, but I'm not too familiar with the new system, only that they work with percentages. So, to stand a good chance I agree you'd want at least the 90th percentile MCAT.
On that note, what OOS are you applying to?