what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshleyTa89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've never posted here but I saw a lot of people helping out with advice so I figured I would try, I'm sorry because I know this seems to be a real common question.
I am not the typical pre-vet student, I am 26 (will be 28 at time applying) so a little older than most people applying I think. I am planning to apply the fall of 2016. My main question is about my GPA. After high school I went to community college because it was a requirement for living at my house. I did not do so well and eventually dropped out after 2 and a half years. After taking a few years off of school to figure out what I wanted to do I decided being a vet was the only thing I really wanted. I had tried to avoid it due to the all the money, but at the end of the day if I can be happy what with what I'm doing that is what matters most to me. So here is where my GPA is
Community college- 70 credits 2.3 GPA (only 1 science class which I got an A in)
My last year of community college I did really well (looking just at that year I averaged about a 3.5) which got me into a 4- year college.
My current GPA at my four-year college after this semester will be a 3.1. Still on the low side but I'm working on it. I work 30 hours a week at a job that is 2hrs away because I have no help with money I have to work that much.
Vet experience-400 hours and growing
General Animal experience-between 13,000 and 15,000 (not including fostering or pet owning I know most schools don't count it. Full-time work for 9+ years at a dog boarding/grooming/training/daycare facility)
Will take GREs this winter.

So... I guess that is where I am at. I don't want to give up because this is what I want but I know I am not the ideal candidate, I would prefer to stay in the country mainly due to family, although I think 4 years on an island sounds amazing. However, realistically what are my chances? Should I just give up on vet school and look into vet tech school, at least I still get to work with animals at a vet.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.