What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkwizard007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been going through a lot of depression and anxiety about this so any useful guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I had shocking failed comlex level 1 the first time with a 385, retook it 2 weeks later after going through comquest this time and got a 430. I had the worse testing experience the first time with the electricity going off 3x during my exam cutting time off for me... So I know my problem was COMBANK sucking and my testing experience..

Everything else is great. Been doing great on my clinical rotations. Getting rocking evaluations and Doing well on all COMATS.

What are my chances at an EM residency? Don't care abt location or AOA/ACGME... Just a good program that trains me well to work in any ER

Cancelled Step 1 due to this fiasco but scheduled for Level 2 and USMLE Step 2 in June hoping to knock it out of the park.

Any advice especially on auditions are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to take Step1? I'd find it hard to believe you'd have much a chance at a decent program without it, but I have heard EM really values Step 2.

Zero current chance for ACGME programs. You didn't meet the cut-off for COMLEX score and will be screen out. If you can magically pull a 230+ on step 1 & 2, you'll have much better chance with ACGME programs. AOA programs value more face time albeit you have a level 1 failure, which makes your situation a bit more tricky. Do many away as possible and obtain positive SLOEs. Moreover, apply broadly and concentrate on places that are undesirable or new. Plus, EM programs in general put more weight on COMLEX 2 (unofficially confirm by SNDers), you should do better on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks... These were my expectations. Been contacting as many programs as I can and setting up audition rotations. If I don't match EM, will most probably do AOA Internal leaving options open for fellowships.