What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am looking at applying to optometry schools in July 2016 for fall 2017 class. I was wondering if you guys can advice me on if I should retake the OAT and if I have chances of getting accepted to the schools of my choice (SCO, PCO, KYCO).

I graduated from college with a 3.4 cumm gpa. Science gpa around 3.25. Got a few C's in pre-req science courses but an upward trend (did better in the upper level courses likes physiology, biochem, microbio etc.)

I took the OAT this march and scores a 300 TS and 320 AA. Unfortunately my lowest was biology with the 270. Everything else was 300 or above.

While at college I had a teaching assistant position (2 semesters, same course) , internship position (~160 hours), and 2 research assistant positions (~900 hours + 100 hours). I also have ~300 hours of volunteering at a local hospital, plus another ~100 hours of miscellaneous volunteering. Held a couple of leadership positions like secretary and treasurer and was a member or AED (pre-health honorary).
Since college, I have shadowed 4 optometrists for a total of 100 hours at a private practice. Planning on shadowing docs at another location in summer.
SCO and PCO are my primary choices as they are close to where i live. KYCO is also nearby but I want it to my last resort. Where do you guys think I should get accepted to (any school on the east coast)? Do I have any chances at SCO? Should I retake the OAT?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your OAT for biology is definitely on the low side, I know when I took the OAT they said my physics was borderline at 290, but my other scores kinda brought it up a bit more. I'm just worried only because biology is obviously extremely important as it's the foundation for the majority of our course work. I think if anything, you definitely have a shot but might be safe retaking the OAT and try to improve that bio grade. Your GPA is good though, best to speak to them during your interview first, they will usually tell you if they would like you to retest or not.