What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisja101

Reaction score
Hello, I am DIY post-bacc student. URM (African-American)

Undergrad cGPA: 2.56
Undergrad sGPA: 1.9 (only took a few BCPM courses, E in chem 1, retake was a B. E in chem 2 retook at another university C, B in bio1, B+ on bio1 lab, bombed my maths, Cs in most) so only about 20 BPM credits in undergrad

Post-bacc GPA (Biopharmaceuticals, second-bachelors): 4.0, 1 more semester left, just taking upper level science courses (43-46 credits)
Physics with calculus A-
Discrete Math B+

Overall GPA (calculated in MAPPD with projected fall grades): 3.14 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA

MCAT 512

Clinical hours: 570 volunteering in our clinic at my job, I am an admin assistant in stroke-neurology. Working on my MA license now for more clinical hours.
Non-clinical volunteering: 1024 hours, volunteering at a shelter
Research: 372 hours in stroke-neurology

My undergrad is very subpar, I had a lot of family and financial issues which led to depression and I lost 3 close family members in my sophmore and junior year, I took a year off through retroactive withdrawals my junior year. I was depressed a lot in undergrad. Even though I did really well in my post bacc, I think I should still apply for SMPs to show that I am capable.

Please any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is in the wrong forum. You should probably ask one of thecAdmins to move it to the WAMC forum. You get lots of advice there. Good luck.
When are you applying?
What state are you from?

This is in the wrong forum. You should probably ask one of thecAdmins to move it to the WAMC forum. You get lots of advice there. Good luck.
When are you applying?
What state are you from?
Thank you for letting me know, I will just copy and paste it. I am applying for the 2026 cycle. And I am from Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools when you apply next June
U Florida
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Emory
Tulane
TCU
Indiana
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew

Connect with SNMA and any mentoring organization focused on helping African-Americans in medicine. Talk to SMP program directors, and see if there are any that cater to URM/UIM candidates.

Hello, I am DIY post-bacc student. URM (African-American)

Undergrad cGPA: 2.56
Undergrad sGPA: 1.9 (only took a few BCPM courses, E in chem 1, retake was a B. E in chem 2 retook at another university C, B in bio1, B+ on bio1 lab, bombed my maths, Cs in most) so only about 20 BPM credits in undergrad

Post-bacc GPA (Biopharmaceuticals, second-bachelors): 4.0, 1 more semester left, just taking upper level science courses (43-46 credits)
Physics with calculus A-
Discrete Math B+

Overall GPA (calculated in MAPPD with projected fall grades): 3.14 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA

MCAT 512

Clinical hours: 570 volunteering in our clinic at my job, I am an admin assistant in stroke-neurology. Working on my MA license now for more clinical hours.
Non-clinical volunteering: 1024 hours, volunteering at a shelter
Research: 372 hours in stroke-neurology

My undergrad is very subpar, I had a lot of family and financial issues which led to depression and I lost 3 close family members in my sophmore and junior year, I took a year off through retroactive withdrawals my junior year. I was depressed a lot in undergrad. Even though I did really well in my post bacc, I think I should still apply for SMPs to show that I am capable.

Please any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Also, I was a tutor in undergrad and was member of a volunteering program called SHIP. It was catered to underprivileged, minority students. I tutored in math and reading. I did this August 2019- April 2021. In SHIP we were assigned to a school and mentored the students in an after-school program providing them information about health and wellness.

Reactions: 1 users
OP

Will your next year be spent in a clinical job?