This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year when I applied to UC Davis, they wanted 2 LORs from vets, and one from a professor/adviser. It may have changed, but I'd double check just so you have the right letters :)

Other than that, I think you're looking great!

Members don't see this ad.

Cum GPA: drum roll please.....2.45 yikes!! After this summer semester it should be about a 2.56......so bad, I know.
Last 45 GPA: 3.95!!! Woot woot!
Science GPA: Somewhere around a 2.66 if all classes are averaged, if I count only the ones more recent than 10 yrs old, and repeat/delete, it is above a 4.0 b/c I received several A+'s (course those don't matter on VMCAS :( )
I have a few more courses I'm taking this fall as well.

I know my best shot is with schools that focus on last 45 hrs. Have I left any off? I know my GPA needs to be much better and I am working my tail off to fix it. I would love to hear advice/thoughts. Thanks!!! This forum has been so helpful!

The most important thing to check before spending your money to apply is what the cumulative GPA minimum is for these schools. Most have a 3.0 minimum and I wouldn't waste your time with them. Also make sure all of your pre-reqs are at least a C- (or in some cases a C) or higher or they won't count. Focus on schools like MN and KSU(?) that put more emphasis on last 45 and start looking into schools with grade forgiveness like Mizzou and Illinois. It sounds like your poor grades were from a while ago, which is definitely to your benefit. I got in with a sub-3.0 without the awesome last-45 that you have, so don't lose hope!

And like KP said, make sure your explanation statement focuses on how you have learned from and changed from your experiences, NOT just what happened.

Hi Everyone!!!

20 years old, Female, North Carolina resident

Degrees:
Associate in Arts, Catawba Valley Community College
Bachelors in Biology (minor in chem), Montreat College

Cum GPA: 3.93
Science GPA:3.9
Last 45: 4.0

Veterinary Experience:
- 1000 hours experience SA

I have worked at two different veterinary hospitals as an assistant/technician

Animal Experience:
- 700 hours as animal care intern at Philadelphia zoo
- 500 hours volunteer experience at various humane societies

Research:
- Full senior thesis on lipomas in canines currently in progress

Extracurricular Activities:
- Montreat College women's soccer player
- Youth Soccer coach
- Work for habitat for humanity
- Least of these

Letters of Recommendation
- Two Penn Vet grads I work for
-Two Montreat College professors
- Zoo keeper at zoo

GRE:
1110: 420 verbal; 690 quant; 4.0 writing. I will be retaking it just before the deadline this summer.

Schools I will be applying to:
NC State
Miss State
U of Georgia
U of Tenn
Va/Md
Oklahoma State
Maybe others if my GRE scores improve!

Any help would be appreciated!!!
I would definitely retake the GRE. Not sure what your first choice is for schools, i assume NCSU since you are a NC resident. Their web site says that to be competetive you need to be above the 50% mark on the GRE and your verbal is well below that. I would also work to see if you can get vet experience in another category, equine, large animal or exotic to help round out your experience. Make sure you really work on the supplimental application. They dont do interviews so you need to really make your essays stand out. Your GPA is great but dont assume that it will be an automatic yes. Friend of mine had very similar stats to yours, GPA was just slightly higher and her GRE was split a little different verbal a little higher quantitative a little lower and only 1500 hr of small animal experience and she did not get in to NCSU as an in state resident and is now out of state somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely retake the GRE. Not sure what your first choice is for schools, i assume NCSU since you are a NC resident. Their web site says that to be competetive you need to be above the 50% mark on the GRE and your verbal is well below that. I would also work to see if you can get vet experience in another category, equine, large animal or exotic to help round out your experience. Make sure you really work on the supplimental application. They dont do interviews so you need to really make your essays stand out. Your GPA is great but dont assume that it will be an automatic yes. Friend of mine had very similar stats to yours, GPA was just slightly higher and her GRE was split a little different verbal a little higher quantitative a little lower and only 1500 hr of small animal experience and she did not get in to NCSU as an in state resident and is now out of state somewhere else.

:thumbup: NC State really tends to like diverse veterinary experiences. On the bright side, your research experience counts as vet experience for them, so you've got two categories down - I'd really suggest trying to do a couple days with an equine/food animal vet, or maybe some exotics, shelter, zoo, whatever. Just get out there and learn about a few more fields before you submit your app.

My name is Steven, 21 years old, first-time applicant. California resident.
BS in Animal Science; going for Research/Food Animals.

Stats:
cum GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.84
Last 45 credits: 3.85
GRE: V: 150 Q: 155 :( W: idk yet.

Hours:
1,200 Vet
Necropsy work at UCDSVM Comparative Pathology Lab on mice and rats.
Behavior/Welfare research assistant under VMD/PhD on cattle with bovine respiratory disease
Volunteered at my hometown animal shelter surgical suite. =assist with spay, neuter, blood draw, and vaccination all day.

800+ Animal
Living on the university's Swine Teaching and Research Center.
Internships at the university's beef barn and feedlot.

1,100 Research
3 years of research experience from research design, to setup and execution. More BRD behavior/welfare related topics.

Recommendation:
Department Master Adviser
DVM/PhD Researcher
Swine Facility Manager
Professor/DVM

Applying to:
Davis, Western, Washington, Oregon.

I think my weakness is on my GRE. It should be better than what I got. Maybe some more vet experience?

My name is Steven, 21 years old, first-time applicant. California resident.

Stats:
Science GPA: 3.84
Last 45 credits: 3.85
GRE: V: 150 Q: 155 :( W: idk yet.

Hours:
1,200 Vet
Behavior/Welfare research assistant under VMD/PhD on cattle with bovine respiratory disease
Volunteered at my hometown animal shelter surgical suite. =assist with spay, neuter, blood draw, and vaccination all day.

800+ Animal

1,100 Research
3 years of research experience from research design, to setup and execution. More BRD behavior/welfare related topics.

Recommendation:
DVM/PhD Researcher
Swine Facility Manager
Professor/DVM

Applying to:

I think my weakness is on my GRE. It should be better than what I got. Maybe some more vet experience?

Everything looks really great aside from your GRE. Did you study very much? I haven't been following the changes to the application cycle this year but if you still have time to re-take it, I would study my BUTT off and re-take it. Either that or maybe add some schools that don't weight the GRE very heavily.

Everything looks really great aside from your GRE. Did you study very much? I haven't been following the changes to the application cycle this year but if you still have time to re-take it, I would study my BUTT off and re-take it. Either that or maybe add some schools that don't weight the GRE very heavily.

Thanks. I studied for the GRE over a month or so. Just read through the practice book, did the examples and practice tests. Nothing too crazy.

Hey Everyone I posted before but got no responses. Could someone give their input?
I am wondering if anyone has gotten in somewhere with similar stats...
I have a 4 year degree in Business Administration from 2003. My grades were not good and will be calculated in most schools. It is only 2.9. I spent 10 years working in business but struggled with alcoholism so I struggled with keeping employment. I am now 4 years sober and completely turned my life around...Here are my stats...

Cum GPA (including schools from 10 years ago): 2.95
Last 45: 3.19 (depends on how it is calculated and if repeated classes are included.
Science GPA: depends on school but about 3.1 to 3.5

Experience Outside of Animal:
Tons and Tons of volunteer experience in and outside of animal experience
Mission Trip to Mexico 1997-1998 (336 hours)
Boys and Girls club, tutor mentor program 1 semester
Sunday School teacher 3 years
Lived 1 month in Mexico studying spanish Month of Jan

Animal Experience:
Wildlife center Volunteer 6 months
Zoo internship, elephant string (1.5 months)
Therapeutic horse center for Children with disabilities (1 month)
Rode with a bovine vet for a semester
Equestrian center intern (6-7 months)
Volunteer research in Costa Rica for 6 weeks + spanish program
Biology class in South Africa with school (J term)
Led alcoholism support group (2 years)

Vet experience:
Bovine vet ( 1 semester)
Worked at an emergency clinic as a client service rep (7 months full time)
Banfield as a vet tech (7 months full time)
intern at a equine small animal clinic
about 1040 hrs (just vet)

Have a horse, african grey and 2 dogs.
Activities:
Riding (Gymkhana)
sports in high school
Dance captain
What else: 17-18 credits/semester + volunteer or work most semesters
All semesters took summer classes
Pet sitting business owner
Ok that's a lot to read but I really need your input!!!!
Thank-You!

Hey Everyone I posted before but got no responses. Could someone give their input?
I am wondering if anyone has gotten in somewhere with similar stats...
I have a 4 year degree in Business Administration from 2003. My grades were not good and will be calculated in most schools. It is only 2.9. I spent 10 years working in business but struggled with alcoholism so I struggled with keeping employment. I am now 4 years sober and completely turned my life around...Here are my stats...

Cum GPA (including schools from 10 years ago): 2.95
Last 45: 3.19 (depends on how it is calculated and if repeated classes are included.
Science GPA: depends on school but about 3.1 to 3.5

Experience Outside of Animal:
Tons and Tons of volunteer experience in and outside of animal experience
Mission Trip to Mexico 1997-1998 (336 hours)
Boys and Girls club, tutor mentor program 1 semester
Sunday School teacher 3 years
Lived 1 month in Mexico studying spanish Month of Jan

Animal Experience:
Wildlife center Volunteer 6 months
Zoo internship, elephant string (1.5 months)
Therapeutic horse center for Children with disabilities (1 month)
Rode with a bovine vet for a semester
Equestrian center intern (6-7 months)
Volunteer research in Costa Rica for 6 weeks + spanish program
Biology class in South Africa with school (J term)
Led alcoholism support group (2 years)

Vet experience:
Bovine vet ( 1 semester)
Worked at an emergency clinic as a client service rep (7 months full time)
Banfield as a vet tech (7 months full time)
intern at a equine small animal clinic
about 1040 hrs (just vet)

Have a horse, african grey and 2 dogs.
Activities:
Riding (Gymkhana)
sports in high school
Dance captain
What else: 17-18 credits/semester + volunteer or work most semesters
All semesters took summer classes
Pet sitting business owner
Ok that's a lot to read but I really need your input!!!!
Thank-You!

I think you're probably going to have a bit of a struggle. I would get in touch with schools and see if you qualify for them before applying with the GPA. Your hours are good. What does your GRE look like? Have you taken it yet? I can't tell from what you posted. Some schools are more forgiving of grades

Krupajl, Look at schools that won't count the schooling 10 years ago. Like on Mizzou's supplemental you can choose to have schooling over 6 years old not count towards your application (including any prereqs, so you have to have all of those more recently).

Haven't taken the GRE yet..but I have taken 17 credits a semester all science and worked..my cumulative also includes grades from 10 years ago....so their calculation may be different. All my upper divison classes have higher grades.

Sooo I retook the GRE and this is what I got:

1st time: 141 V, 156 Q 3.5 W
2nd time: 142 V:eek:, 158 Q

My question is what are the schools that weigh the GRE less than others because I am terrible at the verbal section

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted last year's cycle, so I'm just going to bother with the basics now.

26, graduate student, Ohio resident, 2nd year applying

Undergrad GPA: 3.29 (250+ quarter hours)
Grad GPA: 3.45 (was a 3.3ish when I applied last year)
Science GPA : 3.3
Pre-req Science GPA: 2.96

According to OSU that was my pre-req science. I was told at file review that they averaged repeated courses last year and will be replacing repeats with the higher grade this year, which will put me in better standing. I repeated O Chem I and II as well as Physics 2 and Biochem.

GRE: 1120 and 5.5 (V: 560, Q: 560)

I will be taking the revised in August.

Vet Experience: 1200+
- Public Health/Emergency Management (620)
- Wildlife (160) <-- Half is being listed in "Research" this year
- Horse (25)
- Small (4)
- Swine (420) <-- All being put in "Research", nutrition research with a PhD

(Question: Should I bother listing these things in research or just put them as "Vet Experience"? I asked VMCAS and they just gave me the "whatever you feel like" answer, which, to me, was inadequate. I would hope that schools would check out the "research" section before taking the "vet" hours at face value. All my research hours this year would have been considered vet experience last year. )

Animal Experience: 5000+
- 10 years 4-H raising rabbits and taking part in shows with other animals/livestock
- Shelter volunteer
- Equestrian camp
- zoo intern (NEW)
- dog training with personal pet (NEW)
- etc.

I decided not to be so modest about this section. Last year I severely underestimated my time in 4-H raising animals. Also at OSU file review, I was told that my hours were diverse enough that there wasn't much I needed to focus on to improve the vet/animal/employment sections. (In a sad twist, the person doing the review basically said I probably would have gotten an interview if I had made the subjective GPA/GRE cut off. :()

So do you think there are enough improvements and changes in the application evaluation process that will swing this thing in my favor this year? I'm going to apply to a few more schools as well, but as an OOS student with my decent but not amazing stats, I'm not particularly hopeful on that front.

... another question, currently I'm doing an internship with the state public health department. It's not related to animals directly (it's the asthma program) but I work under the program epidemiologist. Would you list this as "vet" considering the more vague definition of that experience section, which covers veterinarians and other "health scientists"?

I posted last year's cycle, so I'm just going to bother with the basics now.

26, graduate student, Ohio resident, 2nd year applying

Undergrad GPA: 3.29 (250+ quarter hours)
Grad GPA: 3.45 (was a 3.3ish when I applied last year)
Science GPA : 3.3
Pre-req Science GPA: 2.96

According to OSU that was my pre-req science. I was told at file review that they averaged repeated courses last year and will be replacing repeats with the higher grade this year, which will put me in better standing. I repeated O Chem I and II as well as Physics 2 and Biochem.

GRE: 1120 and 5.5 (V: 560, Q: 560)

I will be taking the revised in August.

Vet Experience: 1200+
- Public Health/Emergency Management (620)
- Wildlife (160) <-- Half is being listed in "Research" this year
- Horse (25)
- Small (4)
- Swine (420) <-- All being put in "Research", nutrition research with a PhD

(Question: Should I bother listing these things in research or just put them as "Vet Experience"? I asked VMCAS and they just gave me the "whatever you feel like" answer, which, to me, was inadequate. I would hope that schools would check out the "research" section before taking the "vet" hours at face value. All my research hours this year would have been considered vet experience last year. )

Animal Experience: 5000+
- 10 years 4-H raising rabbits and taking part in shows with other animals/livestock
- Shelter volunteer
- Equestrian camp
- zoo intern (NEW)
- dog training with personal pet (NEW)
- etc.

I decided not to be so modest about this section. Last year I severely underestimated my time in 4-H raising animals. Also at OSU file review, I was told that my hours were diverse enough that there wasn't much I needed to focus on to improve the vet/animal/employment sections. (In a sad twist, the person doing the review basically said I probably would have gotten an interview if I had made the subjective GPA/GRE cut off. :()

So do you think there are enough improvements and changes in the application evaluation process that will swing this thing in my favor this year? I'm going to apply to a few more schools as well, but as an OOS student with my decent but not amazing stats, I'm not particularly hopeful on that front.

... another question, currently I'm doing an internship with the state public health department. It's not related to animals directly (it's the asthma program) but I work under the program epidemiologist. Would you list this as "vet" considering the more vague definition of that experience section, which covers veterinarians and other "health scientists"?

I'm probably totally wrong about this... So I'm not exactly sure why I'm responding. Haha.... But I always thought that "vet experience" meant exactly what it says, an experience under someone with a DVM degree. If so, then the swine experience should be put under research and not veterinary experience.

Same with the public health department internship. Not animal or veterinary if you're not working directly with animals or someone with a DVM degree, respectively. I would put it under community activity if it's unpaid, or employment if it's paid...

But you could always email the admissions from the schools you're applying to, to see what they say.

But your experiences look amazing! What would be your new pre-req GPA with the repeated courses? But yeah, I would just work on studying for the GRE. :) And of course, rocking your PS! Though with all your experiences, I'm sure you can make your PS stand out.

Last edited:
I'm probably totally wrong about this... So I'm not exactly sure why I'm responding. Haha.... But I always thought that "vet experience" meant exactly what it says, an experience under someone with a DVM degree. .....What would be your new pre-req GPA with the repeated courses? But yeah, I would just work on studying for the GRE. :) And of course, rocking your PS! Though with all your experiences, I'm sure you can make your PS stand out.

Thank you.

Last year I was a bit more conservative in interpreting the vet vs. animal experience part. Though I'm pretty sure that under the current rules for that section, all "health scientists" are included. It doesn't define "health scientist" though. That's probably why VMCAS is all "do what you feel is best!"

As for the pre-req science thing, honestly, I was surprised it was that high. I tried to prepare myself for whatever numbers they came back with and I'm fairly certain that my averaged "repeat" GPA was more like a 2.6. That is a big enough difference that I'm not sure how they arrived at their number. I have tons of advanced credits in the biological sciences that are way, way better than those intro biologies and chemistries from undergrad, so I imagine some substitution took place. If that's the case I would expect to have at least a 3.1 but probably not higher than a 3.3.

Thank you.

Last year I was a bit more conservative in interpreting the vet vs. animal experience part. Though I'm pretty sure that under the current rules for that section, all "health scientists" are included. It doesn't define "health scientist" though. That's probably why VMCAS is all "do what you feel is best!"

As for the pre-req science thing, honestly, I was surprised it was that high. I tried to prepare myself for whatever numbers they came back with and I'm fairly certain that my averaged "repeat" GPA was more like a 2.6. That is a big enough difference that I'm not sure how they arrived at their number. I have tons of advanced credits in the biological sciences that are way, way better than those intro biologies and chemistries from undergrad, so I imagine some substitution took place. If that's the case I would expect to have at least a 3.1 but probably not higher than a 3.3.

Oh I see. So any experience under a health scientist is considered vet experience... Well I'm sure the category shouldn't really matter since vet schools will look at everything anyways. So I guess it's basically what the school prefers. Since I'm taking it you're applying to your state school, Ohio State, you could ask them what they think? Or maybe more knowledgeable pre-vets or vet students can reply/help...

But if I were in your shoes then, I would put the public health internship under vet experience and possibly swine under research (so that you have some research experience, unless Ohio doesn't care about research, then I would put it under vet experience).

I would also try applying to schools that care more about experience than grades, maybe (in addition to the schools you're applying to now)?

I hope I've helped. If not, sorry. >_>

So any experience under a health scientist is considered vet experience

Cadies...

Just to let you know, before this cycle, VMCAS did not have a 'Research' section. As such, applicants with research experience had a tougher time deciphering which way to classify their experience. There was often a debate as to what constituted a 'health scientist' (i.e. was any PhD a 'health scientist?' Did the individual have to work in the clinical realm? etc, etc.)

VMCAS has made the job easier with the advent of a research section this year. There is still the confusion of overlapping categories (i.e. research conducted under a veterinarian; in such case, VMCAS requests that an applicant list this under 'research.'). As things stand for the 2014 cycle, however, you are correct- clinical experience under a DVM is veterinary experience. ANY research experience = research experience.

Hope that this clears things up a bit ;)

Cadies...

Just to let you know, before this cycle, VMCAS did not have a 'Research' section. As such, applicants with research experience had a tougher time deciphering which way to classify their experience. There was often a debate as to what constituted a 'health scientist' (i.e. was any PhD a 'health scientist?' Did the individual have to work in the clinical realm? etc, etc.)

VMCAS has made the job easier with the advent of a research section this year. There is still the confusion of overlapping categories (i.e. research conducted under a veterinarian; in such case, VMCAS requests that an applicant list this under 'research.'). As things stand for the 2014 cycle, however, you are correct- clinical experience under a DVM is veterinary experience. ANY research experience = research experience.

Hope that this clears things up a bit ;)

Hm I think it does. So Jess Monster's swine experience, since it was performed under a PhD scientist and is a research experience, should be put under the "Research" experience tab thingiemobaber and her public health internship, since it's under a health professional/epidemiologist and is a health science internship, should be under a "Veterinary" experience then? Or am I still mixed up? Haha....

Correct, on the swine experience. As for the epidemiology, if the supervisor was not a clinician (DVM), than no, this would not be listed under veterinary experience. For an experience to be listed under veterinary experience, it MUST (as of the 2014 cycle) be supervised by a DVM. I would likely list this under work experience or research experience, depending on the specifics.

Correct, on the swine experience. As for the epidemiology, if the supervisor was not a clinician (DVM), than no, this would not be listed under veterinary experience. For an experience to be listed under veterinary experience, it MUST (as of the 2014 cycle) be supervised by a DVM. I would likely list this under work experience or research experience, depending on the specifics.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Last edited:
Jess Monster, if you're only applying to the one school, I would call them and ask how they want you to classify what. I'm sure admissions will re-arrange it if necessary.

I plan to apply to at least three this year which makes it a problem if they all have differing opinions, but, honestly, Ohio State is my best chance and my preferred school, so I'll probably just go by their directions.

My real problem is going to come during the verification process when VMCAS reads "Transfer credit from study abroad program" on the transcript and goes all "WTF is this?"

Last time that happened, my grad school application got held up for over two weeks because the application service took that vague line to mean "Foreign Institution Credit" and wanted that transcript (that never existed because the study abroad was through my university and not a foreign institution). Apparently, it's really hard proving that something doesn't exist.

My real problem is going to come during the verification process when VMCAS reads "Transfer credit from study abroad program" on the transcript and goes all "WTF is this?"

Last time that happened, my grad school application got held up for over two weeks because the application service took that vague line to mean "Foreign Institution Credit" and wanted that transcript (that never existed because the study abroad was through my university and not a foreign institution). Apparently, it's really hard proving that something doesn't exist.

Hm maybe you should explain this in your explanation statement? Or email the VMCAS people and see if they understand "Foreign Institution Credit" and explain the situation to them so that when the time comes for them to verify your transcript, it won't take buttloads of time.

I plan to apply to at least three this year which makes it a problem if they all have differing opinions, but, honestly, Ohio State is my best chance and my preferred school, so I'll probably just go by their directions.

So, I contacted all the schools I applied to asking them if they wanted transcripts from when I was abroad because my program wasn't at a "sister" school related to my undergrad. My transcript actually says "Loyola at Newcastle University, England" with all my credits from there listed below it. None of the schools wanted an additional transcript since it was listed on my home school, except technically Tufts. However, there had been a miscommunication during my first cycle and they had told me I wouldn't need one, so the people in admissions told me not to worry about. I would follow up with your schools and find out what they would like and explain to them before hand, and then put an explanation on the VMCAS application. I had copies of my abroad transcripts, but unfortunately they weren't sealed so they were no long official. To get new one's probably would have been rather difficult and expensive so I was glad the schools didn't really care all that much.

ETA: Totally just remembered that there is that whole "transcript verification" process this year and see how it might be a greater problem now.

I would also try applying to schools that care more about experience than grades, maybe (in addition to the schools you're applying to now)?

Sorry if I've missed it, the search function wasn't very helpful, is there a thread/site/book that helps narrow down these schools vs ones that weigh GPA/GRE heavily?

Sorry if I've missed it, the search function wasn't very helpful, is there a thread/site/book that helps narrow down these schools vs ones that weigh GPA/GRE heavily?

I'm actually not sure which schools but I'm sure other people can help you with that? I think Mizzou actually might be one of the schools that weighs experience more than GPA/GRE. At least, that's the impression I got from going to an open house type event a couple years ago.

I think maybe also if you look at avg stats of the schools you're planning on applying to, you can kind of figure out how they weigh the GPA/GRE. Maybe.

I think some schools also have a set "equation" they go by. For Cornell, they weigh the GRE/MCAT about 25% and GPA about 25%. Not sure about other schools...

I'm actually not sure which schools but I'm sure other people can help you with that? I think Mizzou actually might be one of the schools that weighs experience more than GPA/GRE. At least, that's the impression I got from going to an open house type event a couple years ago.

I think maybe also if you look at avg stats of the schools you're planning on applying to, you can kind of figure out how they weigh the GPA/GRE. Maybe.

I think some schools also have a set "equation" they go by. For Cornell, they weigh the GRE/MCAT about 25% and GPA about 25%. Not sure about other schools...

The bolded part is not accurate.

Mizzou has a formula for evaluating applicants which is:

40% academic -- [ 20% cum GPA , 10% last 3 full time semesters , 6% avg course load and 4% GRE ]
40% non academic
20% overall impression which includes both academic and non academic factors.

http://vetmed.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

The bolded part is not accurate.

Mizzou has a formula for evaluating applicants which is:

40% academic -- [ 20% cum GPA , 10% last 3 full time semesters , 6% avg course load and 4% GRE ]
40% non academic
20% overall impression which includes both academic and non academic factors.

http://vetmed.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

Ah I see. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I've posted on this thread before, but I finally got my GRE scores back so I thought I should re-post. I studied for the GRE for over a month and still did horrible. I know that it's not a desirable score, but would I get thrown out because of that? I am hoping that my GPA will balance it out. What do you guys think?

21 years old male, first-time applicant. California resident.

Stats:
Science GPA: 3.85
Last 45 credits: 3.86
GRE: V:153(58%) Q:155(61%) W:4(54%)

Hours:
1,400 Vet

800+ Animal

1,300 Research
Dairy cattle welfare project. Mainly just setting up for the project and handling the animals.

Recommendation:
DVM/PhD Researcher
Swine Facility Manager
Professor/DVM

Applying to:

Last edited:
Most people have a weak point on their application. I would think the rest of your (solid) application will help to counterbalance your GRE score.

Agreed. You have great / varied experiences in several fields.. Great GPA... I don't think you will have a problem getting an acceptance somewhere. Just make sure you rock the PS and and supplemental essays you have to write ( if any ) and rock interviews when they happen.

FWIW- I had similar stats and a worse GRE and got into my dream school first try.

Thanks everyone. I really hated the test, and dread of having to retake it. I got a professor and readers on here, SDN, proof-read my PS. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone- I'm new here:oops: I've been trying to avoid these forums since they stress me out even more but I can't resist the temptation any longer.

First time applicant, female, 24, VA resident
- majored in economics at a very good public university
- 3.43 cumulative gpa, 3.27 last 45 (orgo:thumbdown:), 2.88 pre-req (again, orgo:thumbdown:)
- GRE 166 verbal 155 quantitative 5.0 A (did not study at all, plan to retake to increase quant. score)
- 1,000+ hours in a small animal/ER clinic, ~150 hours shadowing and equine vet and ~500 hrs working with sheep and pigs in a biomedical research setting
- lots of misc. animal experience (riding, petsitting, etc.)

So...my main question is, with stats like these (i.e. not-so-stellar GPA), which schools would be my best bet? I'm interested in large animal/food animal/equine.

I've posted on this thread before, but I finally got my GRE scores back so I thought I should re-post. I studied for the GRE for over a month and still did horrible. I know that it's not a desirable score, but would I get thrown out because of that? I am hoping that my GPA will balance it out. What do you guys think?

21 years old male, first-time applicant. California resident.

Stats:
Science GPA: 3.85
Last 45 credits: 3.86
GRE: V:153(58%) Q:155(61%) W:4(54%)

Hours:
1,400 Vet

800+ Animal

1,300 Research
Dairy cattle welfare project. Mainly just setting up for the project and handling the animals.

Recommendation:
DVM/PhD Researcher
Swine Facility Manager
Professor/DVM

Applying to:

I got into Davis and was granted an interview at Western this year with a V: 158, Q: 154, W: 4.0.
Davis values the quantitative score more than the verbal score, and you did better than I did. I also had a 3.51 GPA.
I can almost guarantee that you'll get at least get some interviews. Good Luck!

Hi everyone- I'm new here:oops: I've been trying to avoid these forums since they stress me out even more but I can't resist the temptation any longer.

First time applicant, female, 24, VA resident
- majored in economics at a very good public university
- 3.43 cumulative gpa, 3.27 last 45 (orgo:thumbdown:), 2.88 pre-req (again, orgo:thumbdown:)
- GRE 166 verbal 155 quantitative 5.0 A (did not study at all, plan to retake to increase quant. score)
- 1,000+ hours in a small animal/ER clinic, ~150 hours shadowing and equine vet and ~500 hrs working with sheep and pigs in a biomedical research setting
- lots of misc. animal experience (riding, petsitting, etc.)

So...my main question is, with stats like these (i.e. not-so-stellar GPA), which schools would be my best bet? I'm interested in large animal/food animal/equine.

Can you retake orgo to raise your prereq GPA? Your biggest hurdle is gonna be that Prereq GPA for sure.. Your GRE is good, way to go on the verbal section!

Can you retake orgo to raise your prereq GPA?

Unfortunately I just finished Orgo this summer (2 semesters worth in 10 weeks was a miserable experience). Since I'm non-trad, I have been trying to get all my prereqs out of the way as quickly as possible. The way things worked out, it was either take orgo this summer, or put off applying for another year. I sorta shot myself in the foot with this one, working (almost) full time while taking orgo in such a condensed period...and the worst part is, I knew I was shooting myself in the foot. The temptation of being able to apply this cycle was too great for me.

I definitely will try to retake it if I don't get in this cycle.

Your biggest hurdle is gonna be that Prereq GPA for sure.

My pre-reqs have been pretty good mostly As and a few Bs, unfortunately the Cs in orgo (they were both 5 credits!) and a D in freshman bio (before I had any idea I wanted to do vetmed- I was taking bio as a gen ed at the time) have really tarnished the pre-req (and last 45 hr in the case of orgo) GPA.

My biggest concern now is finding schools that weigh the GRE and experiences heavily and were a lower GPA won't necessarily be a deal-breaker. I really like VMRCVM for $ reasons, but I feel like they really focus on GPA, plus they don't include inorganic chem in the prereq GPA, so that takes two As out of the calculation for me :(

My biggest concern now is finding schools that weigh the GRE and experiences heavily(

Check out the Univ. of FL. This school weights the GRE quite heavily (I believe as 25% of the admissions formula). Good luck :luck:

LabVet, Florida was already on my list but I didn't realize they weighed the GRE so heavily- thanks! That makes me feel a little better...

Check out the Univ. of FL. This school weights the GRE quite heavily (I believe as 25% of the admissions formula). Good luck :luck:

LabVet, Florida was already on my list but I didn't realize they weighed the GRE so heavily- thanks! That makes me feel a little better...

hey guys, lets try to be careful about posting info that may it may not be accurate.. And always back your Ish up with sources!

UF actually weighs the GRE 50% in their academic criteria! ( 25% verbal , 25% quantitative )

http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/

Last edited:
UF actually weighs the GRE 50% in their academic criteria! ( 25% verbal , 25% quantitative )

/[/URL]

GRE is 50% of the academic criteria, but academic criteria are 50% of the overall application- so GRE is basically of 25% of the application as a whole (assuming I did that math correctly). Either way, that is still a heavy emphasis on GRE, works for me!

hey guys, lets try to be careful about posting info that may it may not be accurate.. And always back your Ish up with sources!

Sorry, K. I should have been more clear. My bad :(

GRE is 50% of the academic criteria, but academic criteria are 50% of the overall application- so GRE is basically of 25% of the application as a whole (assuming I did that math correctly). Either way, that is still a heavy emphasis on GRE, works for me!

I see what your are saying.. The thing to remember though is that for UF- you must first pass the objective academic evaluation.. Only after that point will your experiences/ non academic factors be evaluated. So the initial evaluation which is basically a weed out process is 50% GRE.

http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/

Sorry, K. I should have been more clear. My bad :(

Haha no worries ;)

I really like VMRCVM for $ reasons, but I feel like they really focus on GPA, plus they don't include inorganic chem in the prereq GPA, so that takes two As out of the calculation for me :(

I think you "have" to apply to VMRCVM for financial reasons, but they factor academics really heavily (which is why I don't think they even blinked before tossing mine ;)) so you may want to reconsider.

So I've noticed people's posts about how heavily the GRE is weighted in the overall application process.

It's probably the only part of vet school admission (aside from the interview) that worries me the most...cause I'm not a fan of standardized testing at all...

I'm applying to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa State, Missouri, Glasgow (UK), and Tennessee.

I already visited Ohio State's vet school, and one of the admissions people said the GRE doesn't make up a huge portion of selecting students for interviews (they instead emphasize GPA and animal experience), but it can help in some cases. I also noticed Missouri doesn't seem to weigh the GRE very heavily, as it is only 4% of the academic portion (40% total). Among the other schools listed, is the GRE weighted very heavily?

Last edited:
Hey everyone- here are the stats I will be applying with. Any words of wisdom/hope/encouragement would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

I am a 21 year old, 1st time applicant and Pennsylvania resident. I will have a B.S. in biology and minor in chem by the time of matriculation.

Cumulative GPA- 3.59
Science GPA (bio, chem, physics)- 3.46
Last 45 credit hrs GPA- 3.68

GRE: Verbal- 150, Quantitative- 152, Combined- 302 new, Writing- 4.0 :(

Vet hours- 560 hours total
- 510 small/mixed animal (employed as vet assistant and shadowing at 2 different private practices and volunteered with a summer HSVMA-RAVS spay/neuter field clinic on a Sioux reservation in SD)
- 35 equine (acupuncture and chiropractics- farm calls)
- 15 poultry (I'm a certified poultry tech by the PA Dept. of Agriculture- certified in infectious disease testing via cloacal/tracheal swabs and blood work)

Animal hours- 2,600 hrs total (pet-sitting, shelter, kennel, farm)
- I live on a small hobby farm, and my family has raised chickens and goats my entire life. I low-balled my hours for this because it's considered pet ownership, but we did run an egg business for about 10 years with a steady customer base. We have had up to 60 laying hens at one time.

Research- 240 hours total
- 200 hrs frogs and DEET- "Effects of N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide on the sexual development and sexual differentiation of Rana pipiens"-- presented pilot study at my university's research symposium alongside my research poster; this is original research and there has not been any documented evidence on this particular topic to date
- 40 hrs pond macroinvertebrate study- also produced a poster

Additional info
- employed as a chem lab prep student assistant for 3 yrs
- summer bio camp counselor at my university- summer 2013
- employed as an admissions ambassador at my university for a little over a yr
- employed part-time at a local pizza place for 5 yrs
- Deans List- 4 semesters
- won 2013 Service and Leadership Award at my university
- earned Girl Scout Gold Award in HS
- I am the head GS summer day camp director for my region (3 yrs)- I manage 120 girls, 40 counselors, and all volunteers; and coordinate all activities throughout the week as well as manage the budget
- member of Tri-Beta National Bio Honor Society, 2 yrs
- member of my university's Honor's Program, 3 yrs
- member of SAFE, a sexual assault prevention group at school, 3 yrs
- member of Peer Advocates, 3 yrs (coordinator for 2012-2013 academic year)
- First year experience (FYE) upperclassman student facilitator, 2 yrs (unpaid)
- selected as NCCWSL student rep from my university; attended 2013 national women's leadership conference
- selected as Middle States student rep for my university's reaccredidation committee
- chem club member
- jazz band member, 3 yrs
- church hand-bell choir, 7 yrs

Letters of Rec
- small animal vet I've shadowed for 8 yrs
- equine acupuncture vet
- research advisor
- Executive Director of Enrollment Management at my university

Also, not that it matters, but I am the first student applying to vet school from my university in 7 years. I go to a small school (about 2,300 students).

Last edited:
First time applying.
I didn't switch majors to pre-vet until I was halfway through Sophomore year, so I am a little worried.
21 year old female
University of Arizona
Pre-Vet major
Cum gpa-3.70
Science GPA-3.78
GRE- 157 Math 162 Verbal (no scores yet) writing
Work experience- Brief stint as a veterinary receptionist

Vet experience-
300 hr. small animal/exotic/avian/wildlife clinic
32 shadowed avian vet

Animal experience
200 shelter
81 assorted dog rescues and bird sanctuary

Awards
Deans list every semester
2 scholarships, 1 from the college of ag and life sciences
um, I was volunteer of the month

Other volunteer
I help out with the low cost health fair every year. Not many hours there though, maybe 20 total.

other:
I was a preceptor(like a TA) for micro lab
I was VP of an animal rescue club for a semester

Applying to: Colorado, Oregon, Midwestern(in state tuition!), Illinois, Ohio, Purdue

First time applying.
I didn't switch majors to pre-vet until I was halfway through Sophomore year, so I am a little worried.
21 year old female
University of Arizona
Pre-Vet major
Cum gpa-3.70
Science GPA-3.78
GRE- 157 Math 162 Verbal (no scores yet) writing
Work experience- Brief stint as a veterinary receptionist

Vet experience-
300 hr. small animal/exotic/avian/wildlife clinic
32 shadowed avian vet

Animal experience
200 shelter
81 assorted dog rescues and bird sanctuary

Awards
Deans list every semester
2 scholarships, 1 from the college of ag and life sciences
um, I was volunteer of the month

Other volunteer
I help out with the low cost health fair every year. Not many hours there though, maybe 20 total.

other:
I was a preceptor(like a TA) for micro lab
I was VP of an animal rescue club for a semester

Applying to: Colorado, Oregon, Midwestern(in state tuition!), Illinois, Ohio, Purdue

1) Your major doesn't matter so don't stress about that. Very few schools offer an actual "pre-veterinary medicine" major. Many people do biology or animal science or chemistry (or English or theater or dance or art or music or business or history...)
2) Veterinary receptionist counts as vet experience
3) I wasn't aware Midwestern had "in state tuition" - I thought it was the same super expensive cost for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.