This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worried about my VERY LOW undergraduate GPA from many years ago. Depending on how it is calculated, could be as low as 2.5. Also, my vet experience is limited. But, I have a lot of other really strong compensating achievements. Anyone have a clue how I might fare? I am applying at Tennessee.

Cum GPA 3.0
Undergrad Science GPA 2.7
Last 45 Undergrad GPA 3.0
Total Undergrad GPA 2.5-2.6
Graduate GPA 3.76
GRE: V:168 (98%) Q:168 (96%) AW:5.0 (93%)

Of Note: 17 credit hours of vet prerequisites just completed. Perfect 4.0 GPA. Finished 1st, 2nd, or 4th in classes of over 150 students in all of these, genetics, advanced cellular biology, organic chem I and II, and biochemistry.

Degrees:
BS: Biomedical Engineering GPA 2.5
MS: Solid/Biomechanics GPA 3.64
PhD: Radiation Protection/Medical Imaging GPA 3.74
MBA: GPA 3.77
MA Philosophy (Medical Ethics, Epistemology, Phil of Sci) GPA 3.87

Veterinary Experience: 300 hours (should be 400+ by time of interviews). Mostly small animal, a few dozen hours of shelter medicine, exotics and large animals by time of interviews.

Animal Experience: Pet Ownership. MANY thousands of hours.

Research: Thousands of hours. Over 70 peer reviewed scientific publications (Papers and/or abstracts, mostly in medical physics)

LORs: 5 total, all PhD or DVM. All should be extremely strong.

Work: 20+ years experience. Oak Ridge National Lab, Founded a medical physics consulting company, reviewer for the FDA, clinical site cancer therapy certification grantor for glaxosmithkline. Former Captain, US Army Reserve, Nuclear medical science officer.

Other Professional: Many time invited speaker, moderator, and educator at national scientific meetings (Society of Nuclear Medicine). Journal reviewer, lecturer, board of directors member in several corporations, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Worried about my VERY LOW undergraduate GPA from many years ago. Depending on how it is calculated, could be as low as 2.5. Also, my vet experience is limited. But, I have a lot of other really strong compensating achievements. Anyone have a clue how I might fare? I am applying at Tennessee.

Tennessee uses a similar process to my school; they evaluate the academic credentials of all candidates first, giving them an objective score. Then they draw a line in the sand at some spot and move everyone above that line to the next phase of evaluation.

So what that means is that you need to look at how they evaluate academic credentials, since that's one of your weak areas.

I'm not at UT and didn't apply there, so I'm no expert, but glancing at their web site suggests it's a mixed bag for you. On the positive side, they give at least some credit for your post-bacc work and your total number of credit hours. On the negative side ... the other three GPAs they calculate (of 4 total GPAs they look at) only use undergrad courses, which is where you're weakest. And, one of those four categories is weighted twice as much as the other three (the undergrad physical sciences courses), which is your worst GPA.

Keeping in mind I have no personal UT experience (you really should try to connect with someone who is actually there), I would venture a guess that you may not get past the objective section, even in spite of the impressive post-bacc work, just because of the way they structure their evaluation process. Finishing strong certainly helps, but I'm assuming you included those in your gpa calculations, and that's really where the rubber meets the road. I dunno. I mean, it'd be nice if they could say "ok, wait a sec - look at this persons graduate work, research work, job experience .... that stuff clearly outweighs the undergrad background." That would be appropriate, in my mind. But I doubt they're likely to do that, because changing the evaluation for one person upsets the evaluation apple cart. Maybe their applications director has the freedom to make exceptions, though. Dunno. And on the bright side, if you do get past the objective evaluation you'll completely rock the subjective. And you'll have a crap-ton of experience to draw from for interviews (if UT does interviews... I didn't look).

Other questions: They require a 3.2 GPA for non-resident applicants. I didn't see if you are resident or non-resident. Just something to be aware of.

Other points: There's widespread skepticism about relying on pet ownership as demonstrative of animal experience. Personally, I'm in the camp that says "put it on the application" because I believe that it won't hurt you and may help you, so why not. Some people say that there's so little chance of it helping you that there's no point. I don't think I've heard anyone suggest it might HURT your application, though. But if that's the sum of your animal experience, you may want to consider finding more. Personally, I wouldn't bother because your other life experiences (research, job, etc.) completely dominate, and if you can get past the objective evaluation you'll be fine, assuming you interview ok.

Keep getting veterinary experience. If you don't get in this time around, you're just that much further ahead next time.

If you don't get in, consider other schools that have evaluation processes that favor your background. I had a horrible first go-around in undergrad but a perfect recent experience (~1988 I failed out two or three times but ~2010 I had a 4.0); the GPAs that UMN calculates are such that I came out on the top of the academic pile in spite of my sketchy background. Similarly, you may need to look for a school that fits your stats.

No reason not to be hopeful, but unless UT makes exceptions to their process for the more unusual cases like yours, you may need to look at ways to deal with that early undergrad record.

Cum GPA 3.0
Graduate GPA 3.76

Of Note: 17 credit hours of vet prerequisites just completed. Perfect 4.0 GPA. Finished 1st, 2nd, or 4th in classes of over 150 students in all of these, genetics, advanced cellular biology, organic chem I and II, and biochemistry.

Degrees:

Veterinary Experience: 300 hours (should be 400+ by time of interviews). Mostly small animal, a few dozen hours of shelter medicine, exotics and large animals by time of interviews.

Research: Thousands of hours. Over 70 peer reviewed scientific publications (Papers and/or abstracts, mostly in medical physics)

Work: 20+ years experience. Oak Ridge National Lab, Founded a medical physics consulting company, reviewer for the FDA, clinical site cancer therapy certification grantor for glaxosmithkline. Former Captain, US Army Reserve, Nuclear medical science officer.

Other Professional: Many time invited speaker, moderator, and educator at national scientific meetings (Society of Nuclear Medicine). Journal reviewer, lecturer, board of directors member in several corporations, etc.

Holy cow.

Aside from your undergrad GPA and slightly low vet hours I think you're a VERY strong applicant. I think getting in is a matter of someone on the admissions committee simply looking past the minimum GPA cutoff. To be honest I feel you would really benefit by getting in touch with them directly and explaining your situation. Your credentials certainly trump 99% of what any 20 year old undergraduate could possibly put on an application. As long as you can demonstrate a sound knowledge of what it is to be a veterinarian from your 400 hours (could be a bit higher), I don't see any reason why they shouldn't take you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cum GPA 3.0
Graduate GPA 3.76

Degrees:

I'm a non-trad applicant with similar undergrad problems [I f'ed up a nice chunk of my undergrad ("YOLO" my ass. That shiz follows you forever.), but got serious later] and I stayed away from UTK (even though I think they're awesome) because I didn't think I'd make it far in their admissions process. But contact them! Don't be afraid to ask for an audit.

Also, with those GRE scores, post-bac grades, and life experience, I think you stand a chance at some schools. Definitely. Take the time to speak with Admissions and choose who you apply to wisely. And get veterinary experience. Don't stop gaining experiences.

I applied to some schools that seem to look at applicants holistically and I have my fingers crossed. Good luck!

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I am a TN resident, and it would be easiest for me to stay in Knoxville, so it is the only school to which I applied. Plus, the OOS GPA cutoff pretty much kills me for most other schools. I will get so many points for my GRE in their process that I think I will get an interview. Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone else too!

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I am a TN resident, and it would be easiest for me to stay in Knoxville, so it is the only school to which I applied. Plus, the OOS GPA cutoff pretty much kills me for most other schools. I will get so many points for my GRE in their process that I think I will get an interview. Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone else too!

Hey, non-trad UTK first year student here, so I know exactly what you're going through. I agree with a lot of what LIS had to say. Your GPA is going to be your biggest hurdle (the classes you just took with the 4.0, are those included in the GPA's you gave us?). UT does a two phase evaluation with phase one dealing strictly with numbers (GPA, GRE, course load, etc.) and phase two being the interview, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc. Your problem is going to be that phase one is weighted approximately 70% and phase two is weighted 30%, so even if you got a "perfect score" for the interview portion, your final "score" may not make the cutoff. After interviews, admissions will basically go down the list and take the top scores from the IS and OOS pools.

As far as the interview, I really do hope you get an invite. If you do, be prepared to defend your choice to pursue veterinary medicine. You have a lot of degrees and look to have dabbled in a lot of different fields, and while that makes you a very diverse applicant, it can also make you seem a little like a career hopper. I am in no way saying that you are!! I just want you to think about ways you can convince the interviewers that vet med is the field for you.

You did mention regarding your GPA that "depending on how it's calculated" it could be 2.5. Are you referring to the VMCAS GPA? That is new this year, but I feel like UT is pretty clear on their website how they calculate your GPA. I think I had somewhere around 260 credit hours when I applied, so calculating my different GPAs was slightly more time consuming, but I figured if I didn't get accepted, I would have numbers in hand that I could compare with the numbers from the school during an application review with the dean.

Good luck!!!! Let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you.

I hope it works out, but with their GPA stuff ... it'll be iffy. They calculate 4 GPAs, and one of those 4 is worth double. So you'll rock 1/5th of their GPA section and the GRE. Iffy.

Someone suggested contacting them ... I think that could be a double-edged sword, depending on the personality of the person you talk to and how you present it. If they have even a tiny chip on their shoulder and they perceive it as you asking for a favor to 'circumvent' their application process, they'll round file your app so fast it won't be funny. On the other hand, if they're a reasonable person and if UT's applications director has some flexibility in making exceptions, it could work really super well in your favor.

Just hard to say which is more likely.

Regardless, I really hope it works out for you. You clearly have the overall 'life' credentials to do it, and your post-grad work suggests (at least, to me) the probability of academic success in vet school. So it would be unfortunate if you don't get in, at least based on what you've presented here.

As far as the interview, I really do hope you get an invite. If you do, be prepared to defend your choice to pursue veterinary medicine. You have a lot of degrees and look to have dabbled in a lot of different fields, and while that makes you a very diverse applicant, it can also make you seem a little like a career hopper. I am in no way saying that you are!! I just want you to think about ways you can convince the interviewers that vet med is the field for you.

This! :thumbup:

My first thought in looking over your stats was "Why on earth does this person want to go to vet school??" Your credentials are impressive and I have no doubt that you could handle a veterinary school curriculum, but as Crystalight said, it looks like you've dabbled in a lot of areas, but may not have really devoted yourself to any one field. Plus it looks like you've already spent a LOT of time in school - why do you want to spend another four years working on yet another degree? That combined with your very low experience hours (many applicants have well into the thousands) would make me question your commitment to vet med, and whether this isn't just some passing whim.

Also I'm a little curious about your age, since you mention that you have 20+ years work experience. It's never too late to change careers, of course, but I do have to wonder what would make someone with what appears to be an extremely successful career switch to vet med, where jobs are few, debt:salary ratio is high, and many new grads are struggling to make ends meet.

Obviously that's just my first impression based solely on the numbers you've posted here. I really have no idea what your previous experience was like - for all I know you have a long list of reasons for pursuing veterinary school. But keep in mind that it's quite possible the admissions committee will view your stats the same way I did. Definitely be prepared to explain yourself if you do get an interview. It's a little late now, but if you end up re-applying make sure your personal statement focuses heavily on your experiences with vet med and why you're interested in this field, if you haven't done that already.

Also I'm a little curious about your age, since you mention that you have 20+ years work experience. It's never too late to change careers, of course, but I do have to wonder what would make someone with what appears to be an extremely successful career switch to vet med, where jobs are few, debt:salary ratio is high, and many new grads are struggling to make ends meet.

I have 20 years in the work force and I'm changing careers. Since you wondered, though .... factors that influenced me:

o You only get one go-around at life, so you should do what interests you if you can. I've always been interested in medicine, always loved animals, and discovered after a decade or so as a number in an HR file that I really wanted to work face-to-face with people. Vet med is the obvious intersection of all those pieces. So continuing to work at a job that doesn't match with what interests me is foolish.

o My dad. He had what most people would consider a very nice career in food science with a global-reaching company. He had a science background, and his role was to evaluate new technologies for incorporation into this company's processes. He retired and said "What a waste. I wish I had done something that interested me." It's not like you have to do something noteworthy in history books, but you should probably do something that interests you, if you're fortunate enough to have that chance.

Also, you're lumping all students into one boat, and that's not really reflective of reality. Being older has many disadvantages (I don't have the practical option of doing an internship or residency, even though given my druthers I'd do a surgery or ECC residency without a second thought. My brain doesn't learn as fast as your younger brain. Etc.), but it has a few advantages to leverage:

o My 'debt:salary' ratio won't be what the typical new graduate's is; I had 20 years to be saving for vet school. I'm not taking out $40k, $50k, $70k, or whatever per year in student loans, so I won't be your typical grad with ... whatever the current average student debt is. I don't know how other career changers are handling it, but many of them probably also bring savings to the picture. Or already have spouses with established careers and incomes.

o I very, very consistently hear from vets *out in practice* (i.e. not academic folks who are always trying to tell us how easy it will be to get a job) "you won't have trouble getting hired; we need mature people with real-world experience who know how to talk to people. We'd love to talk to you when you're closer to graduation." Anyone on SDN who knows me knows I'm kinda a crusty old curmudgeon, so I have no idea why they repeatedly say this to me, but they're in more of a position to know than me.

o Acceptance of lifestyle. I don't mind not having a new car every 6-7 years. I've bought two cars my entire life because I drive them until they're not worth fixing and I can't put it together with duct tape. We have a smaller house that's cramped, but we're ok with that. Someone who *HAS* to have the $850,000 house in the development across from us probably wouldn't tolerate my career change well. But I come from family that farmed in southern MN and homesteaded in the middle of SD. My wife is from a rural family in Alaska. We're used to a less impressive lifestyle and don't really "need" 'new' things, big things, fast things, shiny things. Our clothes come from the thrift store because ... *shrug* ... why not? They work. (Yes. We do buy underwear new. You know you wondered.) I mean, we like to travel when we can, and sure, everyone loves something cool and new and neat once in a while, but ... our lifestyle just doesn't demand a huge income.

o Willingness to work later in life. I'm not in the "work my ass off to retire at 50" crowd, because that attitude doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather do something productive until I'm not really able to do it anymore. Vet med is wonderful for that; if I can buy into a clinic I can very easily step back from working a day at a time. There are many owners around here who only put in a day or two a week in the clinic as they get older. The very big, and unknown, assumption/guess is that I'll enjoy it enough to keep doing it. There are a lot of current vets who do. There are a lot who are burned out, bitter, cynical, and hate it. I'm not sure how to predict which camp you or I will be in.

Anyway. There you go. Some thoughts, since you seemed dubious about changing careers late. :)

o I very, very consistently hear from vets *out in practice* (i.e. not academic folks who are always trying to tell us how easy it will be to get a job) "you won't have trouble getting hired; we need mature people with real-world experience who know how to talk to people. We'd love to talk to you when you're closer to graduation." Anyone on SDN who knows me knows I'm kinda a crusty old curmudgeon, so I have no idea why they repeatedly say this to me, but they're in more of a position to know than me.

Seriously, why do they keep saying this? You must be hiding your crusty old curmudgeon personality along with your whip and wheelchair.... :p

Also, I am told the same thing.. and I don't have 20 years of prior work experience... ;)

Hey, all. I've been lurking on these forums for a while but just now gave in to the temptation to join the conversation. Waiting to hear back from schools is torture and I've finally decided to put my stats out there to see what sort of news I should realistically be hoping for.

22 yo, female, NYS resident
Graduated magna from a solid university in 2013, BS in biology
Cum: 3.895 (VMCAS 3.82)
Sci: 3.77 (VMCAS)
Nonsci: 3.96 (VMCAS)
Last 45: 4.0 ish

GRE: V 166 (96%) Q 162 (84%) A 4.5 (78%)

Veterinary: 580 hours in small animal clinic as a kennel worker and assistant, spay/neuter clinics at shelters and abroad, and a handful of hours observing a zoo vet and vaccinating cattle and horses (those are the hours that were on my VMCAS - I've since accumulated almost 300 more small animal clinic hours and will have another 1000 by next fall...)

Animal: 70 hours socializing research and teaching animals housed at my college, 50 hours walking dogs at the local shelter, 400 hours interning as a keeper intern at a zoo
I've also owned many pets, mostly special needs, although obviously that didn't go on my VMCAS!

Other work: ~1700 as a pharmacy technician, ~300 hours as a tutor and teaching assistant

eLORS: 2 small animal vets, both Cornell grads (only one of these was on my VMCAS, the other was on my Cornell supp)
Academic advisor who was also my professor
Vet from Guatemala who I worked with when abroad
Lead zookeeper from the zoo where I interned
Professor I TA'd with (on Cornell supplement only)

My Tufts app had a small animal vet, a professor, and my advisor/prof. I think all of my letters will be very strong as I had pretty upfront conversations with all my recommenders when requesting letters.

Besides Cornell and Tufts, I applied to UGA, VMRCVM, Minn, Wisc, Guelph, Penn, and Ohio.

Hopefully I'm not forgetting any major stats for you all to work with ... any feedback would be much appreciated. I know I've got some serious weaknesses in my amount of experience but I'm hoping my grades and my letters will help make up for it. Thanks in advance!

PS I applied to Cornell last year just to see what happened and obviously I got rejected. Jenn Mailey told me to get more experience and Don Smith told me to get another DVM letter. I did both of those things, so here's to doing what I'm told!

Last edited:
Hey, all. I've been lurking on these forums for a while but just now gave in to the temptation to join the conversation. Waiting to hear back from schools is torture and I've finally decided to put my stats out there to see what sort of news I should realistically be hoping for.

What to hope for? You should hope for the best, of course.

As to what to realistically expect? I don't see any reason you wouldn't get an interview at some/many/most of those schools. 580 hours is plenty of hours.

I wouldn't worry. The only thing you didn't really mention was other extracurriculars. But... *shrug*. You should be competitive. Provided your application was written halfway decently. :)

Best of luck. Say hi if you're out interviewing at UMN. I'll probably be giving tours. Can't miss me - look for the old, bald, dour-faced guy.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I did forget to list my extracurriculars, which mostly consist of playing on my school's club field hockey team and having a leadership position on the team for 6 of 8 semesters. Regardless, thanks a million for the vote of confidence. Hope to see you at UMN - it'll be my first time in Minnesota and I can't wait to see the winter there (seriously, I love the cold and snow).

Good luck to everyone on the thread! :)

What to hope for? You should hope for the best, of course.

As to what to realistically expect? I don't see any reason you wouldn't get an interview at some/many/most of those schools. 580 hours is plenty of hours.

I wouldn't worry. The only thing you didn't really mention was other extracurriculars. But... *shrug*. You should be competitive. Provided your application was written halfway decently. :)

Best of luck. Say hi if you're out interviewing at UMN. I'll probably be giving tours. Can't miss me - look for the old, bald, dour-faced guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
This! :thumbup:

My first thought in looking over your stats was "Why on earth does this person want to go to vet school??" Your credentials are impressive and I have no doubt that you could handle a veterinary school curriculum, but as Crystalight said, it looks like you've dabbled in a lot of areas, but may not have really devoted yourself to any one field. Plus it looks like you've already spent a LOT of time in school - why do you want to spend another four years working on yet another degree? That combined with your very low experience hours (many applicants have well into the thousands) would make me question your commitment to vet med, and whether this isn't just some passing whim.

Obviously that's just my first impression based solely on the numbers you've posted here. I really have no idea what your previous experience was like - for all I know you have a long list of reasons for pursuing veterinary school. But keep in mind that it's quite possible the admissions committee will view your stats the same way I did. Definitely be prepared to explain yourself if you do get an interview. It's a little late now, but if you end up re-applying make sure your personal statement focuses heavily on your experiences with vet med and why you're interested in this field, if you haven't done that already.

Thanks for the advice. This will definitely help me to prepare for the interview.

I have worked in the same field my entire career, radio-pharmaceuticals. My first three degrees were a slightly meandering path to this career. My MBA was done when I started my own business in this field, to support the business creation. The philosophy degree was done mostly as a part of my continuing desire to learn and grow. I want a vet degree because I have wanted to be a vet since I was 25. (I am 51) I had no chance at 25 to go to vet school, with my low GPA, and nothing else to balance it. Ten years ago, I decided to try, but then did not because an admissions consultant told me I had no chance. Two years ago, I said to hell with that, I am going to at least try. These last two years, I have been focusing on my prerequisite course work and my job, and also did not realize that I needed so many vet work experience hours. I am volunteering 2-3 days a week under vets now to try and fix this before my interview (If I get one). I will have no debt issue, as I have saved enough money to pay for vet school and live, and I am completely debt free. If I cannot get a vet job, I could always continue to do the consulting work I do now if I had to, so this is not something that would make me reconsider. Thanks again!

Pure curiosity... did they say WHY you had no chance? And was this an undergrad vet-school admissions adviser? Or an admissions person at a vet school?
Admissions consultant that I hired who supposedly had experience in med/vet school admissions. Why was my low undergraduate GPA.

Hi guys! I am new to the forum and wanted to see how I stacked up. I applied this cycle and I am getting more and more nervous as time goes on, as well as contemplating what kind of response I will be receiving.

21 year old, female, Virginia Resident

Graduating from University of South Florida in May of 2014

My overall GPA is a 3.43, my last 45 credit hours GPA is a 3.31, and my science GPA is a 3.12.

GRE: 157 Q (69%), 157 V (73%) and 4.5 W (78%)

Veterinary: 500 hours with a small animal shelter veterinarian in VA, 60 hours participating at a Spay Day monthly in Florida, along with a few other hours here and there.

Animal: 43 hours a therapeutic horse rescue, 245 volunteering at the same shelter in VA (not in clinic), 12 hours at an Animal Coalition in Tampa, 12 hours at a Humane Society in Florida, and 8 hours volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary in Florida

Extra Curriculars: Held 3 officer positions in the Pre-Vet Society and Swim team at my University. Also participate in club events, such as Relay for Life.

eLORS: 1 from a Biology Professor, 1 from a Public Speaking Professor, 1 from the shelter Veterinarian, and 1 from the clinic manager I worked under at the shelter

Applied to: NCSU, VMRCVM, Cornell, Auburn, and ISU.

Thanks for anything you can tell me :)

Last edited:

Since applications are already in for this year, there's nothing you can do about that except wait 'n see 'n hope (good luck!).

So my only advice would be to not sit back. Keep building experience. Try to branch out and develop a relationship with another vet who can write you another vet recommendation to replace the public-speaking or biology prof.

You didn't say what your area of interest is. If it's shelter medicine, ok, yer set. If it's private practice, someone reading your application is going to say "Huh. She has a lot of shelter medicine experience, but that's a different world from private practice."

But if you keep charging ahead, you'll be that much better prepared if you don't get in this go-around and have to apply again next season.

Oops, sorry :) My area of interest is, in fact, shelter medicine. Right now I'm just working on boosting my GPA and getting research hours, as I feel that may have been weak points in my application. I understand the whole "sit and wait", I am just worried about how I stack up.

Oops, sorry :) My area of interest is, in fact, shelter medicine. Right now I'm just working on boosting my GPA and getting research hours, as I feel that may have been weak points in my application. I understand the whole "sit and wait", I am just worried about how I stack up.

Nothing wrong with research experience, but I don't think it's any more necessary than any other type.... if you wanted to go into research work, you'd obviously want to have some. But shelter medicine? *shrug* Research experience won't hurt you, of course, but I wouldn't kill yourself getting that type of experience <specifically>.

Just keep building veterinary hours in general, work on the GPA, and hope for the best. :) (I really would try to cultivate another vet reference, though, and ditch one of those profs.)

I believe one of the schools I applied to requested to have a science prof as a reference as well as a non-science. Can't remember which one, though. Thank you :) Is my GRE score competitive?

I believe one of the schools I applied to requested to have a science prof as a reference as well as a non-science. Can't remember which one, though. Thank you :) Is my GRE score competitive?

There is a vet school out there asking for two prof references; one science one non-science? Really? Anyone else know anything about that?

Again, I may be mistaken, but I thought I read that somewhere. I can't seem to find the source now....

There is a vet school out there asking for two prof references; one science one non-science? Really? Anyone else know anything about that?

None come to mind, and especially none of the ones Galixia listed above as having applied to. Most recommend (or require) a veterinarian (obvs), then they suggest employers, advisors, scientists, professors. It looks like only Auburn requires a professor/advisor as one of the three. I'm getting this from all the Descriptor Pages I saved, so take with a grain of salt. :oops:

Again, I may be mistaken, but I thought I read that somewhere. I can't seem to find the source now....

Hopefully it's all moot anyway! :) But if you don't get in this time 'round, I'd check into that. Another vet reference might be useful. Regardless, you're on the right track.

(Sorry, I've no idea how competitive those GRE scores are. Ever since they re-did the score reporting, I have no idea what's 'good' versus 'bad'. I'm sure people with more recent application history can answer.)

Hopefully it's all moot anyway! :) But if you don't get in this time 'round, I'd check into that. Another vet reference might be useful. Regardless, you're on the right track.

(Sorry, I've no idea how competitive those GRE scores are. Ever since they re-did the score reporting, I have no idea what's 'good' versus 'bad'. I'm sure people with more recent application history can answer.)

Well, thank you for your insights. I am really hoping to get into VA as I am IS, but I am just unsure as to how competitive I am. I will not be giving up either way :)

I really have no idea where I read what I did. Sorry for the confusion :(

Hi guys! I am new to the forum and wanted to see how I stacked up. I applied this cycle and I am getting more and more nervous as time goes on, as well as contemplating what kind of response I will be receiving.

21 year old, female, Virginia Resident

Graduating from University of South Florida in May of 2014

My overall GPA is a 3.43, my last 45 credit hours GPA is a 3.31, and my science GPA is a 3.12.

GRE: 157 Q (69%), 157 V (73%) and 4.5 W (78%)

Veterinary: 500 hours with a small animal shelter veterinarian in VA, 60 hours participating at a Spay Day monthly in Florida, along with a few other hours here and there.

Animal: 43 hours a therapeutic horse rescue, 245 volunteering at the same shelter in VA (not in clinic), 12 hours at an Animal Coalition in Tampa, 12 hours at a Humane Society in Florida, and 8 hours volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary in Florida

Extra Curriculars: Held 3 officer positions in the Pre-Vet Society and Swim team at my University. Also participate in club events, such as Relay for Life.

eLORS: 1 from a Biology Professor, 1 from a Public Speaking Professor, 1 from the shelter Veterinarian, and 1 from the clinic manager I worked under at the shelter

Applied to: NCSU, VMRCVM, Cornell, Auburn, and ISU.

Your GRE is not horrible but i would consider re taking it if you don't get in this time. Shoot for 75% mark especially in the Q score since your science GPA is the lowest of the 3. I would aslo consider taking some additional classes that will strenghten your last 45
I would also suggest researching schools to better understand how schools factor in GPA and or GRE. NCSU has a hard cut off of 3.4 for all three of their GPA requirements for OOS, Cornell 50% of the application is GRE and GPA based.
I would def continue to get vet hours, i think the research idea is great but consider exotic or large animal also to help round out your experience.

Your GRE is not horrible but i would consider re taking it if you don't get in this time. Shoot for 75% mark especially in the Q score since your science GPA is the lowest of the 3. I would aslo consider taking some additional classes that will strenghten your last 45
I would also suggest researching schools to better understand how schools factor in GPA and or GRE. NCSU has a hard cut off of 3.4 for all three of their GPA requirements for OOS, Cornell 50% of the application is GRE and GPA based.
I would def continue to get vet hours, i think the research idea is great but consider exotic or large animal also to help round out your experience.

Yeah, I learned about NCSU the hard way. I've already been rejected :( My last 45 credit hours should be boosted after this semester, as far as if I were to apply again. Thank you for your advice :)

Hello! I just joined and I wanted to see if anyone who's familiar with Ross's acceptances could look at my stats. It is the only school I applied to because it is where I have always wanted to go (plus I know my GPA is most likely too low for my in state school (Cornell)).

Graduating from University at Buffalo in May 2014.
Dual majoring in Physical Anthropology and Biology

My overall GPA is a 3.13, my prereq GPA is a 2.99, and my advanced bio GPA is a 2.79.

GRE: 160 Q (78%), 152 V (53%) and 4.0 W (64%)

Veterinary:
- 1200 hours as a veterinary assistant with a small animal hospital
- 250 hours as a veterinary intern with the veterinarian at the Buffalo Zoo
- 100 hours as a veterinary intern at the Rochester city animal shelter

Animal:
- 300 hours working at a dog kennel
- 3 months of research on gastrointestinal parasites in Lemurs in Madagascar.

Extra Curriculars:
- Member of National honors society of leadership and success
- Member of a professional environmental fraternity
- Member of the environmental network club

LOR:
- vet from the small animal hospital
- vet from zoo
- professor who over saw my research in Madagascar
- Organic Chemistry professor

I worked 30+ hours a week during school.

Applied to Ross University for September 2014

Hey all. I am a third year who will be applying next year to veterinary schools, and am curious to see what I could improve upon, as well as what my chances would be at this point.

21 year old male, Virginia resident
Will graduate with BS in Biology, and BA w/ honors in Music
Cum: 3.805
Sci: 3.71 (VMCAS)
Last 45: 3.68

GRE: V 162 (89%) Q 166 (93%) A 5.0 (93%)

Veterinary: 2000-2500 hours working in several public small animal clinics as both a vet assistant and receptionist (this amount will be by the time of the application, currently at 1700) Additional 50 or so hours for small animal from shadowing, 160 hours of equine vet experience from shadowing

Animal: 100 hours of cribbing research in horses at Cornell University, 100 hours of research into cytoskeletal development and blastophore closure in xenopus at UVA, many hours of riding experience, 30 hours working as a ring steward at a national horse show, volunteering at SPCA - 50 hours

Other work: 300 hours TA/grading for Immunology, 150 hours teaching a student initiated course in immunology

eLORS:
2 small animal vets
Academic adviser that I am doing my DMP under (took 3 of his classes)
Other academic adviser whose class I am TAing/grading for (took 4 of his classes)

All recommendations above can be assumed to be strong.

Applying to: VMRC (1st choice), Kansas, Colorado, UF, UC Davis, NC State, Illinois, Washington

All input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hey all. I am a third year who will be applying next year to veterinary schools, and am curious to see what I could improve upon, as well as what my chances would be at this point.

21 year old male, Virginia resident
Will graduate with BS in Biology, and BA w/ honors in Music
Cum: 3.805
Sci: 3.71 (VMCAS)
Last 45: 3.68

GRE: V 162 (89%) Q 166 (93%) A 5.0 (93%)

Veterinary: 2000-2500 hours working in several public small animal clinics as both a vet assistant and receptionist (this amount will be by the time of the application, currently at 1700) Additional 50 or so hours for small animal from shadowing, 160 hours of equine vet experience from shadowing

Animal: 100 hours of cribbing research in horses at Cornell University, 100 hours of research into cytoskeletal development and blastophore closure in xenopus at UVA, many hours of riding experience, 30 hours working as a ring steward at a national horse show, volunteering at SPCA - 50 hours

Other work: 300 hours TA/grading for Immunology, 150 hours teaching a student initiated course in immunology

eLORS:
2 small animal vets
Academic adviser that I am doing my DMP under (took 3 of his classes)
Other academic adviser whose class I am TAing/grading for (took 4 of his classes)

All recommendations above can be assumed to be strong.

Applying to: VMRC (1st choice), Kansas, Colorado, UF, UC Davis, NC State, Illinois, Washington

All input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I'm not intimately familiar with what VMRCVM likes the most, but your GPA and GRE seem quite competitive to me. Maybe focus on bringing up your last 45 with the time you have left -- no one wants to see a downward trend without a good reason. I also know some of the schools you're applying to really value breadth of experience (e.g. NCSU wants to see three different areas of vetmed?!), so you could explore another field if you want to. But you're already well within the ballpark of accepted applicant stats, so don't stress. ;) That's also a long list of schools. Are you applying to so many because you're worried about your chances?

You've got plenty of hours and you sound like you've been focused on vetmed from the start. Nail your PS and good luck next year! (P.S. Sweeeet music degree. What do you play?)

Hi Everyone,
I'm finishing up my third year and am applying next cycle. I just want to see if there is anything I should focus on while there's still time. I'd really appreciate any advice on what to work on.
GPA: 3.9
GRE: not taken yet
vet experience:
800 SA
50 Equine
500 Research

animal experience:
100 zoo
80 wildlife rehab
100 equine study abroad in Scotland

Extracurriculars:
tutor for bio honors society
mentor a pre-med student

I hope to apply to cornell, tufts, and penn. Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone!

Would someone be willing to give me a realistic analysis on what my chances are of getting accepted to vet school? I'm currently a undergraduate sophomore majoring in pre-professional studies (which is basically what pre-med students at my school major in) and I really want to make my application as competitive as possible. It would be great if you guys can give me advice on what to work on!!

cumulative GPA: 3.71 (I'll also probably end up with a B in Orgo II and B in physics this semester, so that'll bring my GPA down)
science GPA: 3.75
GRE: I'm planning to take it winter break of my junior year

Animal Experience:
-shadowed a small animal veterinarian over my freshman year summer for ~300 hours
-currently volunteer at a therapeutic riding center; will probably have ~100 hours by the end of sophomore year
-I volunteered for ~200 hours at animal shelters during high school, but does that count?

I'm hoping to increase my vet experience by doing an internship over the summer at a small animal clinic

Extracurriculars:
-have had leadership positions in dorm life
-leadership positions in a couple of clubs, but not like president or anything
-work experience: cashier at campus restaurant, english-tutor back home (Korea), and worked as a biology lab TA first semester sophomore year

I'm hoping to go study abroad in Singapore my first semester of junior year, hopefully where I'll be able to volunteer at the local zoo; and starting next semester (sophomore year second semester) I'm hoping to start volunteering at the local animal shelter as soon as I get transportation issues figured out (I don't have a car and the shelter pretty far away from campus D : )

Thanks!!

Hi everyone!

Would someone be willing to give me a realistic analysis on what my chances are of getting accepted to vet school? I'm currently a undergraduate sophomore majoring in pre-professional studies (which is basically what pre-med students at my school major in) and I really want to make my application as competitive as possible. It would be great if you guys can give me advice on what to work on!!

Your weak point is veterinary experience, which is more valuable to your application than just animal experience. I would work on getting that summer internship, but also diversifying your hours with large animal, exotics, equine, etc - something not small animal. I'd scrap the shelter volunteer plan (the hours from high school definitely count) unless they have a vet you can work with while you're there and focus on something to broaden your experience hours.

Do you think it will be enough if I plant to volunteer at a zoo for a semester next year and hopefully work with a wildlife conservation organization the summer of my junior year? I'm mostly interested in small animals which is why I've been mostly gearing my animal experience towards that

Unless you actually work with a vet, it will count as animal rather than veterinary experience. It still sounds like fun, though, and will add some diversity to your application. Will you actually be working with animals for that conservation organization? Also, yes, you can count your high school experiences if you want.

Getting some hands-on veterinary experience would be a good idea. It sounds like you're not looking for a job, though, which would probably be the easiest way to get vet experience. Could you shadow/ volunteer with the vet you shadowed previously? Or shadow/ volunteer in another clinic? You could try to volunteer in the veterinary clinic of that animal shelter you mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not intimately familiar with what VMRCVM likes the most, but your GPA and GRE seem quite competitive to me. Maybe focus on bringing up your last 45 with the time you have left -- no one wants to see a downward trend without a good reason. I also know some of the schools you're applying to really value breadth of experience (e.g. NCSU wants to see three different areas of vetmed?!), so you could explore another field if you want to. But you're already well within the ballpark of accepted applicant stats, so don't stress. ;) That's also a long list of schools. Are you applying to so many because you're worried about your chances?

You've got plenty of hours and you sound like you've been focused on vetmed from the start. Nail your PS and good luck next year! (P.S. Sweeeet music degree. What do you play?)

Ah very awesome, thank you! And it will go up, I had one bad grade that is the reason for that last 45 looking poor. I am applying to that many as that is what my sister recommended I do, she graduated about 4 years ago from Kansas State. I play the saxophone (alto and tenor), and am doing my DMP in jazz :).

Hi Everyone,
I'm finishing up my third year and am applying next cycle. I just want to see if there is anything I should focus on while there's still time. I'd really appreciate any advice on what to work on.
GPA: 3.9
GRE: not taken yet
vet experience:
800 SA
50 Equine
500 Research

animal experience:
100 zoo
80 wildlife rehab
100 equine study abroad in Scotland

Extracurriculars:
tutor for bio honors society
mentor a pre-med student

I hope to apply to cornell, tufts, and penn. Thanks for your help!

GPA and hours look really great to me! You could fill up this summer with something your dream/IS school really likes -- e.g. I hear Penn loves research experience. But honestly if I were you, I'd get more involved in an extracurricular I enjoy. From interview questions I've seen and stalking SDN, I think vet schools like to see well-rounded applicants who have activities outside of vetmed that help them destress. Lawdie knows I could use some decompression myself right now. :dead:

Hello! I just joined and I wanted to see if anyone who's familiar with Ross's acceptances could look at my stats. It is the only school I applied to because it is where I have always wanted to go (plus I know my GPA is most likely too low for my in state school (Cornell)).

Graduating from University at Buffalo in May 2014.
Dual majoring in Physical Anthropology and Biology

My overall GPA is a 3.13, my prereq GPA is a 2.99, and my advanced bio GPA is a 2.79.

GRE: 160 Q (78%), 152 V (53%) and 4.0 W (64%)

Veterinary:
- 1200 hours as a veterinary assistant with a small animal hospital
- 250 hours as a veterinary intern with the veterinarian at the Buffalo Zoo
- 100 hours as a veterinary intern at the Rochester city animal shelter

Animal:
- 300 hours working at a dog kennel
- 3 months of research on gastrointestinal parasites in Lemurs in Madagascar.

Extra Curriculars:
- Member of National honors society of leadership and success
- Member of a professional environmental fraternity
- Member of the environmental network club

LOR:
- vet from the small animal hospital
- vet from zoo
- professor who over saw my research in Madagascar
- Organic Chemistry professor

I worked 30+ hours a week during school.

Applied to Ross University for September 2014

Hi! We are undergrad neighbors (I did my undergrad at Canisius) :highfive:

I would say that you have a good shot at getting an interview with Ross. If you do, really spend time preparing for it and nail it. I would look up some threads on Caribbean schools if you haven't already. Ross is fully accredited now which is great, but there is an added cost with going to school in the islands obviously. Definitely work on getting straight A's this last semester to boost your GPA as much as you can.

If you don't get accepted this time around, you may want to reconsider retaking some of your pre-reqs. You might also want to retake the GRE to boost your verbal score. Make sure you continue getting experience as well. When it comes time to apply again, I would apply to more than just Ross if you can. I know that Cornell might seem like a bit of a long shot, but it is your in-state and with admissions sometimes you just never know. There are fewing IS people applying than OOS, so you do have more of a chance in that applicant pool. I remember seeing a 3.0ish GPA on one of their incoming class stats once. If your last 45 credits are good, look at applying to schools that weight that and the GRE heavily.

Good luck :):luck:

Hi! We are undergrad neighbors (I did my undergrad at Canisius) :highfive:

I would say that you have a good shot at getting an interview with Ross. If you do, really spend time preparing for it and nail it. I would look up some threads on Caribbean schools if you haven't already. Ross is fully accredited now which is great, but there is an added cost with going to school in the islands obviously. Definitely work on getting straight A's this last semester to boost your GPA as much as you can.

If you don't get accepted this time around, you may want to reconsider retaking some of your pre-reqs. You might also want to retake the GRE to boost your verbal score. Make sure you continue getting experience as well. When it comes time to apply again, I would apply to more than just Ross if you can. I know that Cornell might seem like a bit of a long shot, but it is your in-state and with admissions sometimes you just never know. There are fewing IS people applying than OOS, so you do have more of a chance in that applicant pool. I remember seeing a 3.0ish GPA on one of their incoming class stats once. If your last 45 credits are good, look at applying to schools that weight that and the GRE heavily.

Good luck :):luck:

Yay Buffalo! haha
Thanks for replying! I hope to hear from Ross soon. I am doing much better this semester so yeah if I don't get in I may try applying to a few more schools next time around.

Hi everyone!
Would someone be willing to give me a realistic analysis on what my chances are of getting accepted to vet school? I'm currently a undergraduate junior majoring in Animal and Poultry Sciences.

cumulative GPA: 3.55
science GPA: unsure?
GRE: verbal 148 quantitative 151 writing 3.5

Animal Experience:
-I live on a farm so I have years of experience

Vet Experience
-I have worked in small animal hospital for 2 yrs
-I shadow a large animal vet when I can (probably at least 75 hrs so far)

Extracurriculars:
-several clubs with leadership positions in some

I plan to retake the GRE because I don't think my scores are very good. I hope to apply to VMRCVM (IS), NCSU, UGA, UF, and Tennessee.

Thanks!!

Hi, I'm looking for advice on how to strengthen my application. My first round of undergrad grades aren't the strongest, but the courses I've retaken thus far are much better. Trying to figure out how to maximize my experience hours to compensate for the early grades.

Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: not sure, but lower than 3.1

MBA GPA: 3.5
Honors: member of Sigma Iota Epsilon (minimum 3.5 GPA to be a member)

GPA for re-taken courses: still waiting on grade from one class but either a very high 3.something or 4.0
(may have gotten a B in the one class or an A, depends on the final exam grade. have As on all other coursework)

Animal Experience:
-- 100 hours volunteer experience with an animal shelter (over 5 years ago)
-- at least 2,000 hours volunteer experience with a local rescue, including 2 years as event coordinator and board member

Vet Experience:
-- began working at a small animal practice this semester (first semester as full-time student) and intend to work there until I get into vet school

Life Experience:
-- 12 years as a financial/ business analyst with increasing responsibility during this time

I have an opportunity to take on more/ different responsibilities with the rescue group, but I'm not sure if it will really strengthen my application at this point. Do I already have enough/ too many hours with that group? Should I consider different activities? If so, what would make the most sense?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi, I'm looking for advice on how to strengthen my application. My first round of undergrad grades aren't the strongest, but the courses I've retaken thus far are much better. Trying to figure out how to maximize my experience hours to compensate for the early grades.

GPA for re-taken courses: still waiting on grade from one class but either a very high 3.something or 4.0
(may have gotten a B in the one class or an A, depends on the final exam grade. have As on all other coursework)

Animal Experience:
-- at least 2,000 hours volunteer experience with a local rescue, including 2 years as event coordinator and board member

Vet Experience:
-- began working at a small animal practice this semester (first semester as full-time student) and intend to work there until I get into vet school

Life Experience:
-- 12 years as a financial/ business analyst with increasing responsibility during this time

I have an opportunity to take on more/ different responsibilities with the rescue group, but I'm not sure if it will really strengthen my application at this point. Do I already have enough/ too many hours with that group? Should I consider different activities? If so, what would make the most sense?

Howdy again! Okay, for both vet and animal experience breadth is usually as important as depth (amount). Schools like to see a variety of experiences from small to large to research to exotics. If it's possible to shadow or work at more than one clinic (not necessarily simulatenously), then I'd encourage you to do so and especially at a clinic that is something other than small animal. For example, I picked up a few shifts at the North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic while I was working at a small animal clinic. Same goes for animal experience. Though it's not as important as veterinary (at least at TAMU). Your grades from undergrad don't seem that terrible to me, but your post-bacc and Masters work will definitely help out your chances. Look for schools that take best attempts on repeated courses or those that weigh Last 45 Hours more heavily. Rock the GRE, get some awesome letters of recommendation, and have a good PS and you should be good to go. If you apply and are not accepted be sure to do a file review if possible because they can give you specifics about what to improve.
Keep on trucking! :)

Animal Experience:

Vet Experience:

Life Experience:

Out of curiosity what made you want to switch from finance into veterinary medicine?

Epi, thanks for the advice. I'd really like to either work with an equine vet or volunteer with a therapeutic riding program to get varied experience. The rescue wants me to take on a more administrative type task that is in line with my previous career. I'm kind of thinking it's just more of the same, right?
Good idea about the file review. Thanks!
On a side note, I love North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic! My silly kitty has pica and ended up there, and occasionally rescue volunteers have taken foster dogs there.

Anesthtc, it was kind of always my plan to try to get into vet school. My undergrad is a B.A. in Chemistry, but I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted after graduation. I wanted to be sure before committing time and money to a specific career path and figured an MBA and some business experience would come in handy regardless of what I eventually do. For example, if I end up owning my own practice, the finance background will come in handy. :)

Thanks for the advice. This will definitely help me to prepare for the interview.

I have worked in the same field my entire career, radio-pharmaceuticals. My first three degrees were a slightly meandering path to this career. My MBA was done when I started my own business in this field, to support the business creation. The philosophy degree was done mostly as a part of my continuing desire to learn and grow. I want a vet degree because I have wanted to be a vet since I was 25. (I am 51) I had no chance at 25 to go to vet school, with my low GPA, and nothing else to balance it. Ten years ago, I decided to try, but then did not because an admissions consultant told me I had no chance. Two years ago, I said to hell with that, I am going to at least try. These last two years, I have been focusing on my prerequisite course work and my job, and also did not realize that I needed so many vet work experience hours. I am volunteering 2-3 days a week under vets now to try and fix this before my interview (If I get one). I will have no debt issue, as I have saved enough money to pay for vet school and live, and I am completely debt free. If I cannot get a vet job, I could always continue to do the consulting work I do now if I had to, so this is not something that would make me reconsider. Thanks again!

You have enough saved up for school and living debt free?
My friend, you are doing it right. Bravo!!!!!

I really hope the admin committee can see all the additional things you're bringing to the table! :)

You have enough saved up for school and living debt free?
My friend, you are doing it right. Bravo!!!!!

I really hope the admin committee can see all the additional things you're bringing to the table! :)

Thanks ladybear! I have been very fortunate in my consulting work the last decade. And I have been mostly reasonable with my spending, so it has all worked out. I have only applied to Tennessee, so I will know if I got an interview by the end of the week. Good luck to you as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.